Sign in to follow this  
ChrisLS2

Squad Swarm/Strength in Numbers and Attachments

So I'm curious about how Squad Swarm and Strength in Numbers interacts with Attachments. 

The text on the Squad Swarm card is "The combined cost of both groups cannot exceed 15." The text of the Strength in Numbers card is "The combined deployment cost of these groups cannot exceed 12."

Is the cost of an Attachment to one or both deployment cards included in either of these? For example, if I give Vader's Finest (2 points) to a unit of Elite Stormtroopers (9 points) does that make the cost of that group 11? If so, I couldn't use Squad Swarm to activate a group of regular Stormtroopers (6 points). If not, and I'm only considering the cost listed on the deployment cards, then I could use Squad Swarm to activate both Elite and Regular Stormtroopers. Similarly, if I attached Vader's Finest to a regular Stormtrooper groups (total of 8 points), could I use Strength in Numbers to activate a second group of Regular Stormtroopers?

Thanks!

I took a look at the rules for Attachments included in packs like Boba Fett pack. It doesn't say anything about Attachments adding to the deployment cost of a group. It only refers to the deployment cost of the attachment itself. It seems like you may only need to look at the cost of the deployment card itself for Squad Swarm and Strength in Numbers but I'm going to e-mail FFG.

One could come to the conclusion that since the attachment cost is included in VPs scored when the deployment group is destroyed, that the attachment in question would be part of this calculation. But, since there is no rule that states this specifically, this would be a question for FFG (See link in my signature).

"Skirmish Attachment", RtH, Page 5:

When a group with an “Attachment” card is defeated, the opposing player scores VPs equal to the deployment cost of the “Attachment” card, in addition to the VPs he scores from the defeated group’s Deployment card.

Edited by Fizz

Hi Michael,

The deployment cost of a group is not altered when an upgrade is attached to it. They each have their own separate deployment costs that are both scored when that group is defeated. So, an attachment on a Stormtrooper group would not affect their eligibility for Squad Swarm or Strength in Numbers.

Thanks!

Paul Winchester

Game Developer

Fantasy Flight Games

pwinchester@fantasyflightgames.com