Sign in to follow this  
kelpie

String of Adventures

Hi all

i tried the Beginner Game with some friends, and now i'm roughly convincing them to try the game.

So long, the ideal follow-up for Welcome to Onderon is the free-from-web Operation Shadow Point

Then Perlemian Haul and then Dead in the Water (this list come from the GM's kit. I'll skip the Operation Shell Game 'cause i got no beta)

However, it seems to me that Operation Shadow Point is more like a "little campaign wrap-up" than a straight adventure. I.e. you can start the adventure with a couple of event seed, than play another adventure (maybe Perlemian Haul) and put another one or two event seeds for OSP, and go on, using the events more like a "main story arc" and other adventures like "filler"...

is this just an impression?

it' is a good idea?

I loved Shadow Point.  If the PCs completed the beginner game without anyone getting away or sending out signals you could space out the components.  Some things the PCs would need to get done first - some of the stuff in Shadow Point are there to conceal the fact the base has been taken over.  Personally, I wouldn't.

I don't have it in front of me, but look in the sidebars. Somewhere in each product line they have a suggested order for tying the Beginners Game, it's followup, the Core book adventure and the GM Kit adventures into a mini-campaign or start of a campaign.  I think the beginners game follow-ups are meant to provide additional ideas within the scope of the pre-gens, and wrap the group's establishment of the group resource, and presents ideas for making the players deal with the consequences of their adventures.

Also if you consider the beginner's kit a methodical introduction to playing the game, the follow-ups do the same for the game master. Now they're not telling you the order, but giving you ideas and details to weave together as you wish, because that's how your games are going to progress.

Yeah in the sidebar of GM'Skit adventure says the order;

what i'm wondering if operation shadow point is intended as a single adventure, or if intended as a short spanning campaign (aka "story arc") with some one-shot adventure (labeled as "event seeds") and thus if playing other adventures in between the event seeds makes sense/is good

or, viceversa, if is better to complete operation shadowpoint to secure the base and then start playing perlemian haul and dead in the water

Shadowpoint (and some what the new Strongholds book) is a good example for a base operations game. It has a lot of small mission hooks and encounters, less for big adventuring type, more of the social base development type of players, and building you resources and doing cool base upgrades with them, etc.

This is how FFG is directing one type of "thing", Its a military styled Star Wars... could be played differently,  At least this is how I fill about it.

Dead in the Water and Shell Game are a great example. Very different from Shadowpoint/Strongholds, they both start with a detailed mission brief and have commando/spy missions and what not, but it feels to me like you are leaning towards more Edge themed game. Not my GMing style but would play in one with the right people  :)

Try to re-skin Shadowpoint missions or encounters from other supplements, you can definitely find something suiting for you and the players.

I used to throw a lot of missions from Edge, with can be "militarized" or left as is, stringed into some comprehensible narrative. Especially from setting books, loads of inspiration.

Edited by RusakRakesh