Sign in to follow this  
GrandSpleen

Your favorite mono-sphere?

For me it's definitely Lore.  The 'tricksiest' of the spheres, it has the most appeal for me.  Also it can be diverse: I've done a super healing deck for 4-player, have done victory display shenanigans with Rossiel (which can go combat-oriented or quest-oriented), or a staging area freeze deck with Noiseless Movement and Advance Warning.  Could also go scry-happy with mono-lore, or do an Ithilien traps deck.

In my mind mono-leadership is all about an army of allies and massive avalanches of willpower, while mono-tactics is about ... well, what tactics is always about.  Carnage in the combat phase.  Mono-spirit lacks an identity, although I did have a nice time in Carn Dum with mono-spirit Theoden, Idraen, and Glorfindel, which can hold its own in combat (each hero has either built-in readying or some readying toys) and quest very well.

Lore is the most fun, there are lots of cards in Lore that are fun but too expensive in or get squeezed out of multi-sphere decks.

Spirit Caldara decks are also good fun, but sometimes the turns take a while which might annoy the other player.

Lore.

My favorite sphere and I think it's the only sphere I've build mono decks for; and they preform fine.

A friend of mine regularly plays mono spirit and he always does very well at the table too.

As much as I love Tactics, I wouldn't go mono with it. I don't feel its viable just yet. Some of my favorite mono decks have been Lore. Lore has a lot of versatility. Plus an endless supply of traps and ents. ;)

I love to go mono color. It is obviously good in multiplayer, but I think it is also a great challenge in solo. Of all the colors my personal favorite is mono spirit.

The most important aspect of the game, to this day, is questing, and mono spirit absolutely crushes that part of the game. The pelargir shipwright alone makes mono spirit a questing beast. The second most important part of the game is threat level, which is basically your life as a player. Only blue can consistently lower threat, and most mono spirit decks can end the game with 0 threat if you want to. Lowering threat can enable secrecy, OHUH Gandalf, or the Palantir. Blue doesn't have as much variety as green, but you can still go in many different directions, including Rohan, Idrean location control, Caldara combo, Hobbit secrecy with OHUH Gandalf, Palantir support for multiplayer, and so on.

My second favorite mono color is green for the variety. The color really smashes at healing and card draw.

My third favorite is tactics for battle and/or siege quests (obviously) or for range/sentinel combat support in multiplayer. In that context Beregond proves why he finished so high in the hero voting.

Last, but still amazing and fun, is Leadership. Purple has the least variety but the highest ceiling of power. In mono form it can seriously suffer from lack of healing and lack of threattach reduction, especially in solo. I am hoping that newer cards like reinforcements and blessings of the valar will allow purple to use valour bonus cards to expand the power and variety of mono purple decks. I think we just haven't had enough time to explore the possibilities yet.

Edited by DukeWellington

Tactic is the most funny, becouse all heroes with 2 wp or more needs to quest together with all wp allies (and those are very overcosted if they only quest). Then you have the lesser allies and a few heroes left for combat. Combat is still easy, but not too easy. With some of the newer cards could a mono tactic deck work solo.

This is in solo play, becouse in multiplayer others quest if you take all enemies.

I guess Spirit for Caldara, followed by Tactics for heavy combat. I have mono-Leadership and mono-Lore decks but I use them less than the Spirit and Tactics ones (and even there I mono less than I dual for sure, not sure how much I tri-sphere).

Leadership is the most playable monosphere deck for a solo games.

Tactics, we know: not enough wp, only with Theoden and 2wp tactics heroes, and with lucky, the player could wi, but finally boring.

Spirit: problem will be attack. Boring too: playing always with Glorfindel and Idraen if you want to combat.

Lore: mmmmh , songs?^^

Leadership: it can play a little of all. Dain for dwarves, Boromir for gondorians, Aragorn with sword... etc.

Funny thing about Mithrandir's Advice.  I was playing just yesterday with a mono-lore deck, and of course this card was in there.  I found though that I had so much other card draw (Damrod with traps recycled by Anborn, Master of the Forge, Daeron's Runes) that it was totally unnecessary.  And because I was holding so many cards, I never had the luxury of paying 1 resource for card draw when I had so many other things to play.  

For solo, it's probably lore.  Mirlonde gives you low threat to buy time and built up your board.  Plus I think lore has the potential to quest, attack, and defend pretty well.

For mutiplayer, I really enjoy mono tactics because I have a particualr deck in mind (Aragorn/Hama/Mablung) that really hums.  Mono-spirit Caldara decks just got a big boost with Arwen and Sword Thain, so they would probably be my second choice for both solo and multiplayer. 

Mono leadership doesn't really interest me.  Strength of Arms is nice, but otherwise there is no particular synergy with mono leadership.  If I want to do a weenie, massive willpower deck I will play Boromir(Le), Imrahil, and Erestor.

As far as what I play the most, it would have to be either Mono Leadership or Mono Spirit. Mono Leadership is the most well-balanced and can be really strong (heck, I took down Carn Dum with it). Mono Spirit just covers a lot of bases at once, since Spirit covers a lot of bases, and any combat deficiencies it once had are long gone. It's only real weakness is that most of its questing allies have only 1 hit point, but the Pelargir Shipwright is an important exception.

If we are talking true mono-sphere (all the cards of the chosen sphere and neutral only), Spirit by far. If we are talking Hero mono-sphere, we all know that with lore you can build some "broken" and disgusting decks :P

Edited by iznax