Sign in to follow this  
Oxymandias

Soontir + Omega Leader + ???

I want to fly 35 p Fel and 26 p Omega Leader with their standard upgrades.

But what more? 39 points to spare, or 36 for a decent initiative bid, and I can't find the perfect match...

Please help! :-)

Darth Vader with EU, ATC, and your choice of EPT. 

Lone Wolf is solid in the end game, predator makes his attack better than 3 dice, and VI makes him the ultimate ace hunter.

There's an argument for Prockets or Juke too, though I prefer VI. 

But what more? 39 points to spare, or 36 for a decent initiative bid, and I can't find the perfect match...

Vessery with VI, tie/D and ion cannon (39). Maybe you want targeting computer on Fel, for synergy with Vessery, and you'll get 1 point for initative bid.

Vessery with VI, tie/D and ion cannon (39). Maybe you want targeting computer on Fel, for synergy with Vessery, and you'll get 1 point for initative bid.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Released content only, unfortunately.

The Palpmobile comes in a little too cheap, how to upgrade it for the extra points?

If you want those three ships only:

jendon+palp+title

35 point soontir

omega 26

=98

35 point fel

26 omega+stealth

OMG+palp+SJ+flachette cannon=99 or ion cannon=100

35 point fel

26 omega+ stealth

capt yorr (for stresshog protection)+palp+sensor jammer

Thanks guys! :-)

Tried the boys out together with Vader today.

Vader with VI, ATC, Prockets and Stealth. But I forgot the Stealth when setting up so I only used 95 point the whole day... :P

Engine would have been great. Probably better than Stealth (obviously...!)

Prockets worked wonders. One-shot a Khiraxz and did good damage on a Thug so Fel could finish him off before he got to use his Ion Turret.

PS11 was very nice against Whisper, and I guess we'll be seeing a few PS10 Poe too.

So if I stick with Vader I'll try to squeeze in Enigne.

Firespray with Tactician is another good option.

But now I'm also looking at Deathrain with Experimental Interface and Adv Sensors. Would need some practice but seems like a lot of fun.

http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/382570/famine-squadron#manoeuvres=hide

This is the squad I'm going to try to pair Soontir with OL. The idea is to fly the FO's as one body and Soontir all by himself.  Once your opponent chooses a target, you can use the other's speed to flank. I know that this doesn't have a ton of squad HP but It has similar HP to running a howlrunner/crackshot swarm. 

What do you guys think of this pairing?

I think you'll have a good time. The FO's seem full of sheenanigans. No opponent should prioritize Epsilon Ace, so she'll always get to shoot first (even before Han! :-) ) And Omega Ace will be fun if you go up against a Decimator, constantly getting 2 crits through. :D

So I just played two games at my local store with the Famine Squadron list I posted above.  My opponent was running a Howlrunner/Academy Swarm with Whisper.  The list went 1 and 1, with both games going to time.  In the first game I slow rolled by swarm and messed up the engage and fell behind on attacks, however I was able to keep Soontir out of arcs and doing what he does.  The first game ended with my opponent taking the win after my flawed execution.  For the second game, I realized that all of my FO's had a higher PS than his swarm and he only had 1 more swarm HP (due to Howlrunner having hull upgrade).   It was because of this that I decided to joust him with my swarm.  I was able to stay out of range during turn 1, then in turn 2 I sped in and took out one of the ties before they could shoot.   This opening volley gave me the advantage and I continued to steamroll the game. 

The main thing that I learned is that even at PS 12, Epsilon Ace was still only throwing 2 dice.  Both games, my opponent dealt the two damage to him very early.  This caused an awkwardness in flying in formation.  I'm not sure if this is necessarily a bad thing, since he felt the need to pour attacks into my naked FO, but it was more difficult to fly.  The second thing is that I think it is necessary to bid for initiative when flying Soontir.  We both ended up with 100pt sqauds and luckily I ended up winning the initiative roll allowing my Soontir to move after his Whisper.  Not having a bid on initiative might hurt Soontir in a tournament setting.  Not horrible, but something to keep in mind.

Please let me know if you have any advice for shaving a couple of points off a list.  Right now I'm looking at cutting the PTL on Omega Ace, I think the 3pt bid will be enough to nearly guarantee my Soontir will move after other PS 9's.  Let me know what you guys think.

Edited by HyddHwk

So I just played two games at my local store with the Famine Squadron list I posted above.  My opponent was running a Howlrunner/Academy Swarm with Whisper.  The list went 1 and 1, with both games going to time.  In the first game I slow rolled by swarm and messed up the engage and fell behind on attacks, however I was able to keep Soontir out of arcs and doing what he does.  The first game ended with my opponent taking the win after my flawed execution.  For the second game, I realized that all of my FO's had a higher PS than his swarm and he only had 1 more swarm HP (due to Howlrunner having hull upgrade).   It was because of this that I decided to joust him with my swarm.  I was able to stay out of range during turn 1, then in turn 2 I sped in and took out one of the ties before they could shoot.   This opening volley gave me the advantage and I continued to steamroll the game. 

The main thing that I learned is that even at PS 12, Epsilon Ace was still only throwing 2 dice.  Both games, my opponent dealt the two damage to him very early.  This caused an awkwardness in flying in formation.  I'm not sure if this is necessarily a bad thing, since he felt the need to pour attacks into my naked FO, but it was more difficult to fly.  The second thing is that I think it is necessary to bid for initiative when flying Soontir.  We both ended up with 100pt sqauds and luckily I ended up winning the initiative roll allowing my Soontir to move after his Whisper.  Not having a bid on initiative might hurt Soontir in a tournament setting.  Not horrible, but something to keep in mind.

Please let me know if you have any advice for shaving a couple of points off a list.  Right now I'm looking at cutting the PTL on Omega Ace, I think the 3pt bid will be enough to nearly guarantee my Soontir will move after other PS 9's.  Let me know what you guys think.

I would drop Epsilon Ace for "Dark Curse".  This drops your list to 99 points, but allows you another Tie Fighter who stops dice modifications when defending.  As you saw from tonight's battle, it can be very hard to hit your opponent when you are rolling 2 unmodified dice.  It can also be an insurance policy against TLT attacks. 

or

whisper+VI+adv cloak+FCS

Whisper is not a good choice as it conflicts with Soontir. You see, Whisper wants to shoot first, but Soontir wants to move last.

I would rather take Vader. For the points, you get another great end game ship who hits very hard at range 1 with a TL.

or

whisper+VI+adv cloak+FCS

Whisper is not a good choice as it conflicts with Soontir. You see, Whisper wants to shoot first, but Soontir wants to move last.

I would rather take Vader. For the points, you get another great end game ship who hits very hard at range 1 with a TL.

I also prefer Vader w/ Soontir over Whisper.  The biggest problem with Fel + Whispy is rebel captive.  Neither wants to take that stress (although Fel can handle it better by not using push).

Having said that, Whisper and Soontir do offer an interesting dilemma for your opponent (if they also have a PS9 ship).  If opponent gets initiative, then it enables Soontir's shenanigans.  If you get initiative, then it makes Whisper hard to kill.  Also, if you get initiative, Soontir becomes an excellent blocker---any ship losing its actions and finding itself in Whisper's sights (especially if FCS is already applied) is probably a goner...

What kind of initative bid do you generally need to ensure Soontir gets to go after the other 9:ers?

Palpmobile + Soontir + Ace probably goes pretty close to 100, right?

What other 9:ers should one expect in the current meta? Soontir, Whisper, VI Jake, Wedge, Han...

I was considering going for a consciderable initiative bid, but with Vader at 11 and OL as a really good blocker, maybe my Soontir can manage anyways.

I want to thank all you guys for your input!

Brought Soontir, Omega Leader and Vader to Swedes, the inofficial Swedish Championship and placed 10th out of 60 players.

Won the first 2 games 100-0 and the third I shot down all his ships and only lost one so going on to 4th game my MoV was really good and I was in the overall lead. There I faced Jake + 3 Greens, all with Crack and PTL, Jake with Procket. Omega tried to outmaneuver them but instead got cornered and killed and I only managed to shot down one Green, so a tight loss meant slipping down to 4th place.

Cut was topp 8, so I had to win to make it to the quarter finals.

5th I got to face Palpmobile, Wampa, Vader and Omega Leader - an interesting match-up since we had many pilots in common but he had the Emperors support. His fighters don't really get to engage and I go for the space cow and in one round get her down to only a couple of hulls left. I have Soontir in perfect positoin to make a 3 k-turn behind the Lambda and finish it off. I flip the dial and I have made a misstake - it shows 5k instead of 3k! Bye bye Soontir... Such a stupid epic fail! All his fighters were pretty much intact and Palpatine managed to hang in there a few more turns, so I had no chance to recover. With my Soontir alive and his Palpy gone I'm quite sure I could have won, but instead I lost that game to end up in 10th place.

I had really low expectations for this tournament due to my lack of flying lately and also chooing a list of glass canons (fun to fly but easy to kill and very unforging to misstakes!) so I am very happy to have made it that far anyways and had a really good time! That 5k will haunt me for a long time though.... :-)

This is the list I flew:

Soontir Fel (35)
TIE Interceptor (27), Royal Guard TIE (0), Push the Limit (3), Stealth Device (3), Autothrusters (2)

“Omega Leader” (26)
TIE/fo Fighter (21), Comm Relay (3), Juke (2)

Darth Vader (38)
TIE Advanced (29), TIE/x1 (0), Proton Rockets (3), Veteran Instincts (1), Engine Upgrade (4), Advanced Targeting Computer (5)

99 points

glad we could be of assistance, yeah the problem with the list is it does "theoretically" go squish very simply  and is quite unforgiving to fly, but once you get it "on lock" (Omega leader jokes?) you will be a force to be feared. so many things get nullified by Leader's ability that he hits with the reliability of a 3 red ship and lives like an IG he takes so many shots.

glad to see you took prockets on vader. i LOVE prockets on vader.  Granted i usually take Crackshot, but i've come around after seeing a VI vader v VI poe fight on vassal the other day.. those 5 red dice moving last and shooting first with 2 actions are a killer.

Yes, I was considering APT instead of prockets, since Vader already has a decent punch at Range 1, but with all regenerators I was expecting to face I went with maximum impact in one round instead.