Sign in to follow this  
danielhollisjax

Has anyone ran a corvette swarm with ackbar

I have been working on a list like this, only with 7 Corvettes.

The thing is, mathematically AFMK2 are more points-efficient per die and per shield. Corvettes are slightly more point efficient per hull point. 

This, of course, does not take into consideration tactical advantages

Corvettes will have the edge in activations

Due to the nature of how defense tokens work, same amount of dice in separate attacks can be better than all in one attack in some cases (brace, for example) and because you only have so many uses of defense tokens. So 5 dice from a AFMK2 in one shot might not be superior than 6 from 2 cr90 attacks even tho the AF dice cost you slightly less points.

Multiple CR90s might also do better against things like Rhymer balls due to their speed and flexibility, they also have more anti-fighter dice per point, the ball might be able to burn down a cr-90 a turn but your CR-90s would have to race to plink down the carriers or run for objectives.

Multiple corvettes are also potentially harder to maximize benefit from than say, 3 or 4 AF

They also would be highly vulnerable to big-dice throwing long range rebel lists especially AF with gunnery teams w/ackbar

Like any unbalanced min-max list is comes with one big advantage that is balanced by some very obvious vulnerabilities. I'd like to try it, however, it would be fun!

While I have not used it myself, I have played against 4 CR90 + AF with Ackbar as Commander. I my (limited) experience with this, I would say it's only really effective when running against few, slow ships (like the VSD (perhaps even ISD) or MC80). They are easily outmaneuvered by the nimble corvettes, and Ackbar really pays of (granting you a lot of extra dice). However, it does require smart deployment, and some nice maneuvering. If you are caught too close to one of the big hitters, it's not that hard to be killed in one attack (even from VSDs). When facing lots of Gladiators (or MC30s), I would say that the corvettes will have some trouble. They opponents will be almost as nimble, and with Screed+ACM for example, it rarely takes more than 2 attacks to kill a corvette. You'll also get a lesser advantage in activations.

Just my opinions on it, but please beware that I have only played against Ackbar in that fleet a few times.

Edited by Viper Jr.

While I have not used it myself, I have played against 4 CR90 + AF with Ackbar as Commander. I my (limited) experience with this, I would say it's only really effective when running against few, slow ships (like the VSD (perhaps even ISD) or MC80). They are easily outmaneuvered by the nimble corvettes, and Ackbar really pays of (granting you a lot of extra dice). However, it does require smart deployment, and some nice maneuvering. If you are caught too close to one of the big hitters, it's not that hard to be killed in one attack (even from VSDs). When facing lots of Gladiators (or MC30s), I would say that the corvettes will have some trouble. They opponents will be almost as nimble, and with Screed+ACM for example, it rarely takes more than 2 attacks to kill a corvette. You'll also get a lesser advantage in activations.

Just my opinions on it, but please beware that I have only played against Ackbar in that fleet a few times.

Yes that's a good point. If you aren't already VERY good with deployment and manoeuvering with corvettes you are setting yourself up for a world of hurt. I hear some people like running a corvette swarm with reikaan as getting dusted in one shot is not the end of the world as you still get one last shot/ram in. I dunno. 

From my experience, I have this theory that the Rebel Alliance's ships work better in a combined arms approach because ships usually have clear vulnerabilities. That way, you can defend against multiple types of threats, as well as throw multiple types of damage dealing.

Moreover, with support slots like the Ion Cannons, titles that hand out bonuses to friendly ships within range 1-5 I feel the game highly incentivizes running different types of ships.

For example, the Corvette swarm I feel will get obliterated by an Ackbar gunline, or by large Gladiator swarms like others have mentionned. 

The Empire seems to be more in a supporting arms (more of the same) approach with a few support here and there, beause the ships themselves have less overall weaknesses that the Rebel ones and their fighters synergize very well with fighters of similar type, hinting at throwing more of the same.