Sign in to follow this  
Red 7

My repaint project

What do you use to strip the paint? I've been looking to do that with a few of my ships.

Rubbing Alcohol. 

It has taken the paint off down to the original FFG paint after about 45 seconds of soaking.

Someone on this forum told me that the alcohol will take the FFG paint off after about 30 minutes of soaking.

Absolutely no damage to the model, loss of detail, or softening of the model from my experiences so far.

Give it a go.

I love how there is so much reference material around that provides us with the opportunity to be able to customize our forces and continue to be true to the films.

For example, being able to reference material/pictures on the iconic Rogue Squadron (Red 1-10) is REALLY helpful and fun.

I am a big fan of the A Wing, but as you can tell from my thread, I am having a hell of a time finding a colour scheme that I am both happy with, and that is accurate to the films etc... (with the exception of my most recent A Wing repaint, none are close to the films)

I believe that my struggles with the A Wing colour scheme are due to my perceived lack of reference material that provides anything more than the most subtle differences between the A Wings of specific pilots like Arvel, or Tycho. Presently the only material that I feel I can rely on are the FFG pilot cards, and the one screen shot of Arvel sacrificing himself. 

I am even struggling as to whether or not Jake Ferrel's blue A wing "fits" along side of Arvel's and Tycho's...

I suppose my question is... Are A Wings just that uniform in colour and scheme? 

any feedback/comments/clarification will be greatly appreciated

I'm 90% done my Tie Interceptor!

I think I just need to make the Blood stripes a little thicker.

I will take and post pictures tomorrow if all goes well.

I have another A Wing on order for my next Repaint.

The answer to my A Wing dilemmas has presented itself to me!

I picked up the A Wing expansion today, and to my delight the pilot cards show some variation to the A Wing coloring!!! 

I now feel that with some minimal repainting I will have a pretty accurate Arvel Crynyd in the darker red A Wing, and I am confident that I can paint a nice Tycho Celchu using a lighter red and some orange! 

IMG_20160216_154525_zpsnr6nxegq.jpg

I also finished my Tie Interceptor, complete with blood stripes, green laser cannons on the wings and body, AND red OSL on the ion thrusters

IMG_20160216_154903_zpssrzoyz0u.jpg

Cool! Painting is one of my favorite things with this game, there's so much to choose from because look at the 2 Awings you just described, Arvel has a deep red with clean even-ish panels and psycho Tycho has almost a fade going on due to wear and a lot of panels replaced and some scars. Can't wait to see how you do these 2. I recently bought an Awing expac for the sole purpose of painting however I'm not sure if I want a Rebel Aces' or a Rebels Ace, Heras does look neat!

I also finished my Tie Interceptor, complete with blood stripes, green laser cannons on the wings and body, AND red OSL on the ion thrusters

Shame on you, don't tease us like that, show us the thruster OSL! :D

Some really stellar work in this thread!

LOL!  Sorry about that! 

Here is a shot of the ion thrusters OSL. 

" I have you now rebel scum!!!"

IMG_20160217_095147_zpscgvk2n0r.jpg

Those of you who are especially observant will notice that I have ONCE AGAIN stripped the Rebel Aces A Wing!!!

This is the last time I promise! :P  

Haven't been able to buy any ships in a while so naturally I decided to Repaint my Repainted B Wing! Lol

I am 90% done. Should be able to get some pictures up later this week.

I decided to go with a rework of the Dagger Squadron scheme. Pretty happy with it so far.

It's funny really, I genuinely enjoy painting these little guys/gals. Which is interesting because I always felt burdened by my 40K models

Well, if you aren't forced to paint I would assume that is a liberating feeling. Only doing what you want to do keeps painting what it is supposed to be, a fun an expressive activity.

It's funny really, I genuinely enjoy painting these little guys/gals. Which is interesting because I always felt burdened by my 40K models

Well, if you aren't forced to paint I would assume that is a liberating feeling. Only doing what you want to do keeps painting what it is supposed to be, a fun an expressive activity.

That is true, but I wasn't forced to paint 40K...

Here is the WIP B-WIng: 

IMG_20160301_132240_zpswvzpy3yi.jpg

Well sure you weren't forced at gunpoint with your life depending on it (I hope no local community is that strict), but if you didn't you would have an unpainted army, which in my opinion makes the game less enjoyable. Tabletops are also about looking cool! In X-Wing you will never have a game where there are unpainted pieces on the table.