Sign in to follow this  
Knight Phaeton

I started. What next?

My goodness, Fickle, there are more ways to play than just tournament style! There is something absolutely FUN about flying Interceptors, even if they pop. People enjoyed flying those for waves 2-5 without Autothrusters. A beginner can have the same level of enjoyment even without the new crutches.

And I'm against proxying because the more you proxy, the less value you get out of each subsequent purchase.

flying interceptors is fun, losing them to **** RNG is a great way to never want to fly them again

this has nothing to do with being competitive. For the sake of your own sanity, use thrusters

thrusters have an added bonus of opening up more flexibility for the interceptor as well. By making Range 3 a safe zone (with focus), it lets you hit and run very effectively, as well as set up some great approaches without having to slam PTL every turn. They are a crucial upgrade not just for the competitive viability of the interceptor, but for adding a great element of depth that overrides some crap die roll

the tidbit about proxing makes no sense. The only thing that devalues a purchase is paying for something you later find you hate and will never use again

Edited by ficklegreendice

Starting to think this is hyperbole.

Depends on the environment. If you're playing friendly games at home then no, you really don't need them, unless someone is constantly playing lists with turrets. Even then it might be better to simply ask them to play something else.

But if you're gearing up for this year's competitive circuit and plan on running Ints... you really do need them.

Precisely what I was saying VanorDM - in the OP's situation, it's completely unnecessary.  Why buy one of the more expensive small base expansions from a completely different faction if you're just starting up?

it is not hyperbole

In the situation described in the original post, it's hyperbole.  And now it's also derailing the thread, as it has done to so many others.  With that in mind, my ignore list has just got one name longer.

Edited by FTS Gecko

the tidbit about proxing makes no sense. The only thing that devalues a purchase is paying for something you later find you hate and will never use again

I'll try to explain it to you, but since you and I have fundamentally different philosophies, you may not see things the way I do. That's fine. We're different people. I'm okay with proxying to test something out before you buy it, but I'm not comfortable with long-term proxies. Here's how I see it ...

I'm an honest man. I like to pay for what I play. Let's say I want to try out a 7-Z Feedback Array swarm. I only have 3 Z-95s and 4 Feedback Arrays, so I need to proxy. Okay, so let's say I play one proxy game and I absolutely love it. Now I have plans to purchase the remaining pieces. IF (and that's a big 'if') I'm a tournament player, I will need to do this sooner or later so I can actually fly the list when it matters. But what if I'm a casual player and my opponent is fine with proxies? I may play that list again, and again, and again. Twenty games later, I've got up to 5 Z-95s and 6 Feedback Arrays. I still need two more Most Wanted and the Punishing One to complete the list, but now I'm starting to get tired of it and there are other things I want to buy. Because I've played with the 7-Z swarm so much, I feel like I owe it to myself and FFG to go through with buying all the pieces for the list. But at this point in time, I'm not getting any more enjoyment from those purchases. In a sense, I'm in debt to myself having proxied all along and now I have to pay it off. Because I enjoyed the list all along without an actual purchase, purchasing the ships has less perceived value to me now than if I had paid for them up front and then enjoyed them.

Now, if you're a single man with all the disposable income you could want, this is a non-issue. You'll just buy all the ships you want when you want them after having tested a list out. If you're a family man and/or have limited disposable income, you want to feel like your purchases matter. I personally get more enjoyment out of wanting a ship/upgrade and finally purchasing it before using it than I do proxying it and buying it later.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that my way is the right way. I'm simply trying to explain to you why I perceive the value of a product to drop off after extensive proxying.

Edited by Budgernaut

proxyproxyproxy

Two things...

First yes proxy is a great thing to do when you're first starting out.

Second I don't think you're doing yourself any favors by starting off with the training wheels on in this case. I think it's better in terms of becoming good at the game to not use things like Autothrusters (or the YT's for that matter) at first. Learn how to use the stock ship before you start adding in bells and whistles.

I would recommend either a second core set (least expensive way to get those three ships plus you will use the extra dice) or the Imperial/Rebel Aces sets. The Aces allow you to add two ships to each side and still be balanced as far as point cost go. If you connect with a local game groups and want to focus on one side of the force, then I would still pick the Aces pack from that side. After that:

Imperial: TIE/fo (more than one is great for swarms), TIE Interceptor (pilots and cards are different, plus you can fly a nce 3 interceptor squad)

Rebels: T-70, Y-Wing, K-Wing

I haven't flown Scum (mostly due to not wanted to spend the extra money), so I don't have an opinion there.

I wouldn't consider thrusters "training wheels"

they're very dependent on input and add a lot of dimension to the craft, rather than taking it away like a PWT would

besides, given their effectiveness, they may as well be a part of the base craft

the alternative is not a deeper experience, it's just more rng on a ship that cost twice as much but is just as durable as a Tie Fighter

it's also just a fair word of warning. Interceptors have a very glaring weakness in that they're incredibly dice-prone and therefore stupidly unforgiving. This is not great for newer players, who will not only be put off by their super awesome ship getting wrecked by an unmodified Z-95, but will rightfully call bull when a "safe" interceptor inevitably gets green diced off the table

there is no ship more skill dependent than a thruster Interceptor, imo. Whether staying out of your opponent's firing arcs or staying at long range, the ship lives and dies on your flying. Without thrusters, you get a skill dependent ship that can and will, despite all your efforts, just get farted off the table.

if you want to use interceptors at all reliably, not just competitively but as in at any time at all other than just never getting shot ever, you're going to gravitate towards thrusters. Might as well cut out the incredibly frustrating middle man immediately

autothrusters.png

happy hunting!

Back on topic - yes, Imperial Aces and Rebel Aces are both great (and economic!) choices for a new player to quickly add some ships and variety to their collection.  Both sets also come with important upgrades for the ships they contain (Chaardan Refit for the A-Wings, B-Wing/E2 for the B-Wing and Royal Guard TIE and Push The Limit for the Interceptors).

As for other ships, go with what you like the look of and what you're enjoying flying.  If you've got the Force Awakens Core Set then yes, the TIE/fo and T-70 expansions are probably good value.  If you pick up the Aces packs, you may want to look at a standard A-Wing and TIE Interceptor expansion as well so you can enjoy the full range of pilots (Tycho Celchu and Soontir Fel are both very good).

Just go with what you enjoy and have fun!

I'd start a trust fund ASAP.

But in all seriousness, most ships are viable and upgrades can be proxied until you have a better idea of what you like and dislike.

Other than the Core Set, there are no "must-buys" when you're starting out. Those labels apply to the included upgrades which can be proxied.

I only had 2 Core Sets and a Firespray for my first few months and I had as much fun then as I do now.

Focus on having fun. Your collection will grow naturally.

Edited by zerotc

I just started about a month ago myself. Browsed forums and articles for the ships to buy. Reading about Y-Wings and TLTs, and TIE Swarms and what-not. Most say don't buy Slave I cause it's not competitive, etc. Ultimately I was like "I want to have fun. If tournaments come later down the line, cool, but for now I want to have fun, and flying Y-Wings w/ TLTs doesn't sound fun to me. I never liked the ship in the films for whatever reason. Funny they get 5 Hull points, cause in the films they snap like twigs." So I got the ships from the films that I like and some from EU that look great and I will enjoy flying first. How does one not own the Millennium Falcon? And the thought of Slave I chasing it down sounds great. Bam, purchased :) Competitive ships can come later.

Have fun first. If you think Interceptors look awesome like I do, get the Rebel Aces pack, awesome upgrades too. Interceptors are fine without autothrusters for casual play. I want autothrusters too, but Im not gonna buy two or three starvipers, and they go for like $8/each on ebay. So I printed them out until FFG includes them with a ship I actually want.

First initial purchase from me:

TFA Core

Millennium Falcon

Slave I

Second purchase:

Rebel Aces (Interceptors look badass)

TIE Punisher

A-Wing (instead A-wing and Z-95, I probably would go Rebel Aces)

HWK-290

Z-95

For my next purhases;

Rebel Aces (need a B-wing, Awing upgrades)

Ghost (awesome ship!!!!)

Inquisitor (looks fun to fly!)

Have fun, get the ships you enjoy, good luck!

I would suggest figuring out if you want to play casually or competitively.  I'd recommend casually at first and learn the game.  Then, you can get more into it if you want.  If casual, you can probably proxy all the cards you need.  I'd stick to more small ships than bigger ships.  Pick what you want as it will be more fun.  Lots of cheap ships are great!  That means Tie Fighters, Z-95's, etc. 

Hello, ladies and gentlemans.

So, I try X-Wing and I actually like it. I highly interested in this game. I already bought TFA core set and play a couple of games with my friends. The game looks dynamic and interesting.

What I want now is advice how to enlarge my forces to 100 pts for both sides for playing with my friends in home. If possible, at first time I don't want buy a lot of stuff. So I want to purchase things, which is fun to play, which I will use later and which is not much expensive. What will you advice to me?

For the ships I like the beauty of TIE Interceptors, Phantoms, X-Wings, Y-Wings.

How about Rebel Aces and Imperial Aces? Is 1 T70 + Rebel Aces and 2 TIE/FO + Imperial Aces a good choice? Should I buy additional T-70 and TIE/FO for pilots and upgrades?

Never rush.

Slowly and steadily buy wave ships, that embody some aspect.

Take yourself a Falcon, see if you like maneuvering that huge flying turret. Even if not, it's a miniature every SW fan must own.

Take an Interceptor. Maybe you like the feeling of cat and mousing with your foe, completely stipping them of every chance to roll red dice at all.

Or maybe you want some brutal firepower? An X-wing blister expansion and B-wing expansions will tell you.

After you know what you want, toy around with squad builders, see if you want the Ace packs or not.

Imperial ace pack is extraordinarily good for those who liked interceptors.

Rebel ace pack is for those who like toolbox squads with decent balance of ships, not a spam.

While I get the economics of the deal?  I still don't understand the desire to buy two core sets when first starting out.

Personally, I'd go with the original core set, one X-Wing expansion (for Wedge and the additional astromechs), two TIE Fighter expansions (for the additional pilots), and an extra set of X-Wing dice.  Sure, it's pricier than buying two core sets, but you get more bang for your buck...

Then?  I'd just buy what ships have fascinated you in the past (probably from the video games, as the films don't do a fantastic job of making each individual class of starfighter appear all that different).  So if you liked piloting the speedier A-Wings and TIE Interceptors in the Rogue Squadron console games or the X-Wing/TIE Fighter/X-Wing Alliance PC games?  Pick up a few of those.  Or if you preferred the beefier yet slower Y-Wings and TIE Bombers?  Grab some of those.

I would also recommend purchasing one Millennium Falcon/YT-1300 and one Slave 1/Firespray at some point.

After that, the sky's the limit.

But first play for FUN.  Then think competitively.  So for now?  I'd ignore the posts telling you what cards you absolutely need on such-and-such starfighter.  That will all come naturally as you get used to the game.

I still don't understand the desire to buy two core sets when first starting out.

The main reason is the extra ships, dice and templates. If someone was just buying for themselves then it's not quite so great of a deal anymore, not like it was anyway.

But the OP said he'd be providing stuff for a group so having those extra things will make the game better then new ships will.

I still don't understand the desire to buy two core sets when first starting out.

The main reason is the extra ships, dice and templates. If someone was just buying for themselves then it's not quite so great of a deal anymore, not like it was anyway.

But the OP said he'd be providing stuff for a group so having those extra things will make the game better then new ships will.

unless its both core sets, in which case you also have completely different obstacles, pilots, ships, cards etc.