Sign in to follow this  
zubalove

List Arch-types that is best for a newbie

Hello Everyone,

I apologize for adding another newbie question. 

I'm still learning the game and would like to participate in a game night at a local store. In trying to build out my list, I'm stuck between what I want to do and what I can competently manage. Ultimately, I'm wondering what is easiest the first time out: an ace list or four small base ships?

I've got both core sets, an X-Wing expansion, an A-Wing expansion, and Rebel Aces. I plan on getting a Y-Wing next. My thought is to run two A-Wings and two other ships. However, I'm not sure that's the best thing my first time out. A-Wings are fun to me, but perhaps I'm better off running some more durable ships like 2 T-65s, a T-70, and a B-Wing.

I wouldn't even know where to start with the Aces.

Anyone have any guidance? Thanks very much.

As you're still new, don't worry about what you 'should' take, just take what you want to take. I love A wings as well, and the first few times I played this game I brought a list with 3 A Wings. I lost, but I had fun. It depends on who you're flying against, but if you're brand new I wouldn't expect to win. Just focus on having fun.

I agree and will add that you should definitely use your favorite pilots/ships now before you start worrying about the meta and might realize they aren't very "good/competitive." Just have fun, learn, worry about optimizing later.

Thanks guys! I'm not too concerned about being competitive. I'm actually thinking more about a list that is easiest to play. I know I'm going to get crushed. I'm concerned about getting crushed AND not knowing how to play. So I'm trying to think of a straight forward list with very few complications.

Maybe running Poe, with two X-Wing Rookie Piots, and a B-Wing Blue Squadron pilot.

I want to fly casual and simple. Thanks.

Maybe running Poe, with two X-Wing Rookie Piots, and a B-Wing Blue Squadron pilot.

I want to fly casual and simple. Thanks.

That sounds like a great 'starting' list.  Only one 'named' pilot, so you don't have too much to keep track of and you can focus on learning the rules of the game and such.  Good luck!

I have the same problem, but the competitor in me wants to be competitive right away. I know it's simply not possible without buying several packs I'll probably never use the ships out of. That being said, I've settled on a few casual builds I want to try. Good luck on your game night.