Sign in to follow this  
John Constantine

Temple of the Deceived

I love the new Dale ally. I hope there will be one day a Cycle in Dale, Iron Mountains, and Rhun.

With Beorning, and Dale characters.

The spirit event is so good !

It's like Astonishing speed, cheaper, but for Scout characters instead of Rohan. Maybe we could play soon some Scout / Dale Spirit-Lore efficent deck.

I really love the spoiled player cards!

Amazing Questmechanic. But how would Weit enternte Sterne (Distant Stars) interact with this map?

I also wonder how West Road Traveller will work with this amazing scenario.

http://hallofbeorn.com/Cards/Details/West-Road-Traveller-RtM

I think the new rules of this scenario will not let players move the map. Otherwise Thror Map and West Road Traveller will be very powerful for this quest.

Edited by Valiko33

I don't really see Scouting Party playing a role in any of my decks for some time; even with the addition of new Scout characters in this pack, as a whole they just aren't particularly good questers. Including the two spoiled allies in the article, less than half of the Scout characters have 2 willpower (none have more!), and of those with 2 willpower, over half are unique. So excepting the rounds where you have Scouting Party in hand, you're stuck with an army of mediocre questers.

Déorwine, on the other hand, looks amazing, both in terms of art and ability!

Both Rohan allies in partiucular have incredible art. As for the Rhovanion guy, I like him. I think he is most at home in a Caldara deck, where alongside Northern Tracker he is spot removal of locations and potentially 2 willpower. I think he's cool in there, but nowhere else really. I guess we'll get more Spirit Scout allies to work with Scouting Party, since a mono Spirit like Caldara or heavy Spirit w/ Steward is the only deck I see myself running it in. Works good enough with Rhovannion guy and Lorien Guide though.

Dat feel when you write long and detailed post and the computer just freaks out for some reason and everything you wrote is lost.

Long story short, Fasolto - I do. The card is supposed to give them Willpower, they are not required to be decent questers by default. And even then, there is a lot of decent questers among Scouts, and I expect it to be more with the release of this new Scout hero. This is a "strength in numbers" card, when you look at cards like these, you look at the total amount of Scouts you can field asap, not their base willpowers.

Gizlivadi - I don't agree with you. I think he will become a huge staple for most of the Spirit decks. You seem to have missed the main point of this ally. He costs 3 and has an attack of 2. In Spirit. The only one with the same values is a self-discarding defender Hama. In a multiplayer game, where the location flood is real, he will permanenlty be 2/2/1/2 at the cost of 3. And even in solo with a couple of these guys, you can safely snipe locations with nasty travel effects from the staging area. Very, very cost-efficient card.

Long story short, Fasolto - I do. The card is supposed to give them Willpower, they are not required to be decent questers by default. And even then, there is a lot of decent questers among Scouts, and I expect it to be more with the release of this new Scout hero. This is a "strength in numbers" card, when you look at cards like these, you look at the total amount of Scouts you can field asap, not their base willpowers.

The trouble is, though, at the moment, I don't see any real incentive to build a Scout deck, given the current paucity of synergy for the trait, but to use Scouting Party efficiently, you need to be fielding quite a few Scout characters (I for one would not pay those 2 Spirit resources if I didn't have at least three Scouts to send to the party; remember, the card requires that you only send Scouts questing). So I'd essentially be using a fair number of spaces in my deck to ensure that I'd have a good number of Scout allies in play (and possibly using up a hero slot or two), all for the purpose of using a single card, which simply boosts the willpower of some cards that don't really have great willpower in and of themselves: why not just build a deck with some higher willpower questers? In my opinion, it's just not achieving much, although I'm sure that the occasional final quest push aided by Scouting Party would be quite epic.

I think that if Scouting Party costed less, I wouldn't be so harsh on it, but then, once the Scout trait is developed a bit more and it starts to become a viable deck type, it could well be that Scouting Party proves to be worth the two resources and the deck space. For me, though, this time is not very close at all, so I still don't see myself considering it for inclusion in any decks for some time.

The scout trait has pretty decent willpower. Remember that only 3 "permanent" allies (discounting Gandalf etc) in the game have >2 willpower, so 2 willpower is about as good as it gets for allies. Scout has quite a high proportion of its allies having 2 willpower, so it's not a poor trait for questing. It is a poor trait for affordability though: of the Scout allies with willpower > 0, only 2 are lower than cost 3 [edit: 3 with Ceorl], and these are in Leadership rather than the Spirit/Lore combination that you might expect.

Edited by NathanH

Fostlo, we already have Idraen as perfect match. We are going to have this Leadership Scout the same pack we get Scouting Party. That's already 2 Scouts on the field turn 1. Leadship has 3 cheap Scouts - Snowbourn Scout, Naith Guide, and Rivendell Scout, not to mention all those awesome Spirit Scouts. Fiedling at least 3 Scouts is going to be a piece of cake. Why not just build a deck with some higher willpower questers? The answer is simple: the game is not about winning it, it's about winning it in a lot of different ways, so different people can build different decks and still win. You don't enjoy Scout stuff? More power to you! Build any other deck you want, you got so much other cards to use.

Scouing Party costing less would make it overpowered without a doubt, especially given the fact that a 3-Scout hero setup is possible. That'll be 12 willpower tri-sphere questing on turn 1.

Changing the cardgame into a boardgame eh? I'll be a fun deviation, though I don't think it'll have much gameplay effect.

I'm really happy with the outrider. Now I feel like every aspect that made Spirit Glorfindel so mandatory (in multiplayer at least) is adequatly covered in different cards. Add a new Glorfindel ally to the mix and go deckbuilding go!

@Fosolto, an Idrean, Warden of Arnor, Rhovanion Outrider, Snowborn Scout, Ride to Ruin, Northern Tracker scout deck is going to be a very appriciated deck in 3/4 player since it deals with location lock so well. In solo play, we'll have to see. If we get some cards who's cost is exhausting a hero instead of resources, it might be fun to see how many times we can ready Idrean each turn.

Dat feel when you write long and detailed post and the computer just freaks out for some reason and everything you wrote is lost.

Gizlivadi - I don't agree with you. I think he will become a huge staple for most of the Spirit decks. You seem to have missed the main point of this ally. He costs 3 and has an attack of 2. In Spirit. The only one with the same values is a self-discarding defender Hama. In a multiplayer game, where the location flood is real, he will permanenlty be 2/2/1/2 at the cost of 3. And even in solo with a couple of these guys, you can safely snipe locations with nasty travel effects from the staging area. Very, very cost-efficient card.

I didn't consider the 2 attack, you're right. I still don't think he'll be a huge staple, but the 2 attack is certainly worth considering.

Now that's new - characters that actually fit to  the quest they were released with! :ph34r:

Really, this scenario looks very, very promising, as so the new cards. That Rohan scout looks like a beast and that 4 cost tactics ally could even be useful in solo play when using Mablung. Otherwise he seems to be too expensive.

The idea of bulding an island with the location cards is definitely a 10/10. In theory. Hopefully it plays as well as I hope it does. And if that's the case, why not doing the same thing with treacheries or enemies?

Oh, and let's hope that there is a hidden Goblin camp somewhere on that island, and everyone will be happy! ^_^ Why is everyone in Middle Earth suddenly undead instead of green and dumb?

Edited by leptokurt

Well, Deorwine can be pretty affordable if you're going to run him with dat Spirit Theoden and/or Grima :D

Man, now I have this idea of (S)Theoden, Grima and Mablung deck idea that plays a lot of Rohan stuff real fast, and I don't have irl cards to perform it =|

Edited by John Constantine

Jungle island? Exotic. Let's hope next cycle will not be adventures in the Wild West.

I don't know, Wild West LotR style would be kind of cool haha But I just recently got into Doomtown Reloaded so the Wild West theme is on the brain right now. ;)