Sign in to follow this  
MrM0D

Soontir Hunting

The last couple tournaments I've been to I got knocked from 1st to second flying against soontir fel. I've changed my list up to have omega leader, do you think juke or veteran instincts would better serve an ace hunter?

When hunting Fel, your strategy will greatly depend on a few factors.

If you have 3 or more ships, start blocking lanes and forcing the action where you want it to be.  Think ahead.  You might not block Fel this round, but can you set him up to be blocked the next?

If you only have 1 or 2 ships left, disengage.   Fly away from Fel quickly and then set yourself up for a new approach.  Cast a wide net when coming back and catch Fel at range 1 or 2.

Play to YOUR strengths.  What kind of ships do you have left?  What do they excel at?  Can you orchestrate a block?

Veterans instincts. Fel always has a focus token.

Which Soontir can't actually spend if Omega Leader has him target locked. (For his own attack at least)

Oh Yeah... I'd still say vi though, so you can see where he ends up.

Veterans instincts. Fel always has a focus token.

Which Soontir can't actually spend if Omega Leader has him target locked. (For his own attack at least)

Oh Yeah... I'd still say vi though, so you can see where he ends up.

It really depends on how well the OP can keep Soontir in arc. There are two problems Soontir presents - maintaining arc, and punching through his dice. VI helps with the former, Juke the latter so I'd take whichever fits the problem that keeps occurring. Personally, I think Omega Leader is made for Juke + Comm. Relay, but as with everything in this game, there is no 'correct' answer.

Edited by Red42

Deny him his defense dice.

So I will assume you mean the Soontir standard build with Autothrusters and Stealth Device. Thus he will be trying to stay at Range 3 and get his 5 defense dice and Possibly an Evade action (Possibly).

I am not sure why folks thing that VI will help you zapp Fel. You gain a couple of PS points and, likely, he will still have a higher PS...anyways...

Every time I have lost Fel, or at least his Stealth Device bonus, was to low PS ships that had Crack Shot. My opponent would focus fire on Fel, often forcing me to use up my Evade or Focus tokens. Then, he would use a low PS ship with Crack shot to reduce my defense dice even more. Once he gets dinged that first time he loses his expensive Stealth Device and will be easier to hit the next round.

That being said, don't fall into the trap of focusing all your fire on Fel. Sometimes that is why he is in a list....to be a 36 point distraction so that the rest of the list is free to do its job.

Anyway...I hope that helps a little.

I'd go a bit left field and say Veteran Instincts are best on Omega Leader if he's being taken for the sole purpose of hunting down Soontir Fel.

One-on-One, Soontir has the better ship - he has a one-die advantage (assuming he has a stealth device) in both attack and defence, but firstly you have a shield and secondly you can use tokens and he can't.

The person playing Soontir, however, is (probably) no fool, and therefore if it comes down to a single-ship duel between the two, he'll be using Soontir Fel's actions to Boost/Barrel Roll each turn - since focus/evade does nothing for him. Therefore, moving from PS8 (moving before him) to PS10 (moving after him) makes you much more capable of taking him on, since he can't use his huge action-based movement reactively.

In a 'normal' squad outside this scenario.... I think Juke is probably better. It helps you land that first critical hit to knock out the stealth device, and the rest of the squad can finish him off.

There's always Doom Shuttle with Gunner.

Or Experimental Interface on Deathrain with Conner Net and Advanced Sensors!

I've actually taken to using a low PS prox mine carrier as my ace Hunter instead of getting into the PS war. It's been working rather well. Adds insult to injury that your opponent rolls the red dice for it. The look of " NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" when you drop one on their Fel and they roll two hits and a crit is delicious.

Block or stress him and he's toast.

I don't really like Omega Leader for Soontir hunting unless you can guess where he's going due to his arc dodging abilties. I guess it could work with VI.

I am not sure why folks thing that VI will help you zapp Fel. You gain a couple of PS points and, likely, he will still have a higher PS...anyways...

It's because VI on a PS 8 pilot like Omega Leader will help you zap Fel. Putting a PS 10 on the board gives you a better shot at getting Soontir in arc.

Flechette Torpedoes are only 2 points and give a stress even if they miss.  The Empire doesn't have a lot with Torp slots, though. 

Homing Missiles are Soontir's bane, though.  4 dice that get the TL re-roll, oh, and his Evade doesn't count.  So, it's just 4 with TL vs 4 w/ Focus....unless he's already spent that Focus.  You can usually land a hit in with averages.  If you are able to fire 2 Homing Missiles at him in the same round, then he's dead on averages. 

Mines and Bombs are good ways to limit his approach.  Sometimes a 2 pt Seismic Charge will put off his approach for a turn. 

Whomever is firing at Soontir should be spread out.  You can cover more angles that way.  Formations are toast to the arc dodging king. 

if it's OL, you want Juke

it is possible to keep Fel in arc in the real world, where higher PS does not equal never being shot ala forums

it is not possible to outplay green dice

assuming you have relay, ofc. On FOs, Juke is worthless without relay, as that's what lets you hold an evade and still mod your dice

Edited by ficklegreendice

it is possible to keep Fel in arc in the real world, where higher PS does not equal never being shot ala forums

assuming you have relay, ofc. On FOs, Juke is worthless without relay, as that's what lets you hold an evade and still mod your dice

I think with OL making Soontir throw unmodified green dice that VI might be a better choice for him. Juke just kind of piles on to what OL has going on. VI leaves Soontir needing to guess where you're going to end up and not being able to modify dice. VI also ends up 4 points cheaper unless you were planning on taking Com Relay no matter what.

I think with OL making Soontir throw unmodified green dice that VI might be a better choice for him. Juke just kind of piles on to what OL has going on. VI leaves Soontir needing to guess where you're going to end up and not being able to modify dice. VI also ends up 4 points cheaper unless you were planning on

taking Com Relay no matter what.

Juke doesn't pile on anything except damage

It lets you do damage; damage being the only way to kill anything in the game

Otherwise, you just have a tie fighter that's going to bounce off of lucky green dice; especially at range 3 or SD

just to put it in perspective,

if you roll two hits against soonts and he rolls an expected evade you double your damage with Juke

if you roll a hit against soonts and he rolls an expected evade, you get literally infinitely more damage than you would've otherwise

you keep plinking soonts at long range for a damage a turn, and he will die in 3 turns. If you keep plinking soonts for nothing he will literally never die

Edited by ficklegreendice

As a Scum player, I like to hunt imperials with prox mines, feedback z95 or autoblastered y-wings, paired with VI+EU Boba. So, for me, slow rolling until you have Soontir at range 1 and block-zapp-blow him!