Sign in to follow this  
hideousprime

1st Quarter 2016

my only worry right now should be when my blood apes will arrive......

not when does everything arrive...   sob    sob

if you are waiting for blood apes it might be a while.  Those are still listed as "in development" and has been sense 10.14.2015. 

If it makes you feel any better I am waiting for the new Aurim who has not even announced yet,  (hopefully he is)

I'm playing Aurim in the current campaign, and I feel sorry for the OL.  He's far too powerful with his current skills.

Cursain

In the german descent forums it was said by an official, that newer printings of the base game will contain "Heirs of Blood" instead of "The Shadow Runde" as campaign.

It was also said, that "The Shadow Rune" will be release as a campaign book in "Heirs of Blood" style, to make it available for buyers of the newly released base game.

I really hope the new campaign book will get a general overhaul, to improve it´s quality. So I´m pretty sure, that the next campaign book will indeed be "The Shadow Rune - Enhanced Edition".

Sadly no timeframe was given.

Really I hope this isn't true. Maybe it's a good move to drop the Shadow Rune campaign out of the core set, but why would they re-release the Shadow Rune campaign then? If they admit it's the weakest campaign and probably disserves the game, why make it the first expansion people buy? So they are turned off by the bad quality of Descent expansions?

Also I think the HoB book will get even harder to find then.

I really hope FFG releases a Nerekhall campaign book (I think a book incorporating all expansions has a much too small consumer-base). Imo it's the best expansion for Descent and releasing more content for it would lead the costumers to the most qualitative expansion of the game and give it a higher value.

Really I hope this isn't true. Maybe it's a good move to drop the Shadow Rune campaign out of the core set, but why would they re-release the Shadow Rune campaign then? If they admit it's the weakest campaign and probably disserves the game, why make it the first expansion people buy? So they are turned off by the bad quality of Descent expansions?

I really hope FFG releases a Nerekhall campaign book (I think a book incorporating all expansions has a much too small consumer-base). Imo it's the best expansion for Descent and releasing more content for it would lead the costumers to the most qualitative expansion of the game and give it a higher value.

I´m pretty sure it is true, as it was stated repeatedly over here: http://forum.heidelbaer.de/viewtopic.php?f=203&t=21555&sid=9739d41a4b8d7dd751cf4a978093660c&start=10#p197058

I´m pretty sure it is true, as it was stated repeatedly over here: http://forum.heidelbaer.de/viewtopic.php?f=203&t=21555&sid=9739d41a4b8d7dd751cf4a978093660c&start=10#p197058

I guess it's true then. But I still think it's a bad move. The shadowrune campaign shouldn't be a seperatly purchasable product, because of it's subpar quality compared to every other campaign and will only lead to dissapointment for those who buy it and play it after the HoB campaign.

The only way this makes sense, is if they HEAVILY rework the whole campaign, a task that would ultimatly cost money that could be put towards a SoN campaign book which I guess would have a larger audience as well, or would you rebuy a reworked shadowrune campaign if you already own the original one? In contrast to that I would imidiatly buy a SoN campaign book without a second thought.

If anything, they imo should release the game with the HoB campaign and put the Shadowrune campaign online.

I think the Shadow Rune lacks theme (apart from the balance issues). In Shadow of Nerekhall you are investigating this city with a dark past, in Labyrinth of Ruin you are on the trail of an evil sorceress, in the Trollfens you are investigating a mysterious disease, and Lair of the Wyrm speaks for itself:) I repeatedly wondered what the heroes aim is in the Shadow Rune, the quest themselves clarify what you are doing but there doesn't seem to be a greater goal. Well stopping the Overlord of course, but Why? Maybe it is because the introduction quest is poorly introduced (that irony). There is a party of heroes (how did this party form?) that suddenly encounters an Ettin, which is the most random thing ever. Shadow of Nerekhall has much more introduction text and is very clear how you get there in the first place. 

And when it comes to campaign books, adding lore to the campaign certainly helps to create a strong theme. It is a fantasy game after all so theme is very important imo.

The baron Zachareth is making a play for power over baron Greigory (I think that's his name, I don't have the quest guide with me) in part by obtaining the powerful Shadow Rune in order to be able to control the dragon Gryvorn (or to mind control people into serving him, depending on the finale.)

And hunting down the Heroes who imprisoned Gryvorn (called Shadow Binders) that now are old and retired while some of their weapons (now relics) are in dispute between the Overlord and the new Heroes. Now that a new evil arises, a new group of heroes must fight it.

Actually, if you see it this way, the Shadow BInders in the story correspond in some way to the four archetypes in the current game. Frederick is the scout who wielded once the Scorpion Kiss. Sir Palamon was the warrior who protected their fellows in battle as the knight he is. Lord Theodir, the noble who particularly posses uncommon dice, maybe for some spell or predictions, oh yes, there is our mage. Lastly, Viceroy Pellin, the wounded man founded in the caravan at the beginning of the campaign, that traveled along with now a sacred man, a Cardinal. However, I think Cardinal Koth is not a Shadow Binder, but he was rather the companion of Pellin but well, there you have the healers.

What I agree with you is that the party seems to begin their campaign by coincidence more than by will or seek for adventure; although later on when they reach Baron Greigory they accept the missions given to them.

Yes, the Shadow Rune Campaign has a theme, but yeah, it is the most simple and common of all of the Campaigns' themes.

Edited by Volkren

It would be great to have a novel that walks us through each campaign. Maybe not a huge read but at least some short stories that fill in the blanks and give some more insight into whats going on. This of course isn't need to play the game but could really be fun to have a choose your own adventure style book that, depending on which side wins, the story outcome changes!

Ok, this is wierd. And FFG tells nothing about it, why? Is this a new version of the game, does it have any improvements? What is this and how can You tell the difference? FFG should anwser to alll thiose questions?

Ok, this is wierd. And FFG tells nothing about it, why? Is this a new version of the game, does it have any improvements? What is this and how can You tell the difference? FFG should anwser to alll thiose questions?

I'm going to assume you mean difference from the outside (since difference from the inside is trivial.) Most of my descent boxes have a month and year printed right by the barcode. This indicates the month and year of manufacture. I'd imagine these new base game boxes were printed end of 2015.

Are there any other changes with the rules?

Did they update the included rules with the Heirs of Blood 2 hero rules? (extra attack)

Are the Imperial Assault Line of Sight rules implemented?

Or anything else funky?

Edited by mitchjmiller

Indeed, Descent is designed around its current LoS rules, this isn't some module that can be just swapped in out without majorly impacting the design and balance. Same thing with the alternating turns in IA compared to Descent. I still prefer to the Descent version tbh.

Just because IA came after Descent and is similar to Descent rules wise, doesn't mean that its rules are "updates" or "fixes" to the Descent ruleset. It's best to view both games as seperate games rather than one being the successor of the other. Both games try to accomplish different things, fitting a setting.

Edited by Gridash