Sign in to follow this  
alphastryke

Roll20 vs pbp

Has anyone tried playing FFG SW via Roll20? It doesn't have to be F&D, it could be any type of game such as rules using only Edge of the Empire.

I mainly play via pbp on rpol.net but I have been growing impatient with the slow progression of pbp games; as an adult with a full time job + other responsibilities I really don't have a choice in the matter and pbp does scratch the itch. But sometimes, over weekends or holidays I find myself wishing for a fast session lasting a couple of hours where I can play or run a full adventure.

Can roll20 do this? And do i need to have a mic and cam to play, or can I play via text messaging/chat only, and use features like battlemaps etc for combat?

I'm not a big fan of Roll20 - unfortunately, it was soured for me by other systems, though I haven't really tried running SWRPG on there.

However, as an alternative, there is a really great module for Fantasy Grounds that I've run with a group, and it turned out great. There are also several resources available for playing in groups on Tabletop Simulator, if you're into that. I've even seen a great dice rolling app for Google Hangouts - the whole Star Wars RPG series is one that lends itself well to environments that don't need to simulate tokens and miniatures on maps!

Yes Roll20 can do it.  And if you use google hangout there

is a roller for google hangouts. You can play by text but that tends to be very very slow. so you will want a mic... the experience is much better.

Edited by Daeglan

All I use is Roll20. There are awesome character sheets that let you roll the dice right off whatever skill your using. I'm a member so I get to use all the cool stuff. If your a GM and haven't used dynamic lighting, do it. Your players will enjoy it.

I use Maptools for my Online face to face games. I was not happy with the map maker in Roll20, which maptools does much better.

The problem with Fantasy grounds is the buy in. Witht he excellent free options out there, like Roll20 and Maptools and the like, Fantasy grounds (which I had purchased a single license for years ago) jsut doesn't seem a viable option for the money anymore. Not that it isn't a good product. 

Can anyone give me guidelines on how to use it? Is roll20 free to use for instance, if not what is the price?

I get that a mic is required for faster gameplay. But is a cam required, because i don't have one and I have a slow connection.

I prefer theater of the mind for combat rather than maps, is that ok?

Anything else I should know?

Can anyone give me guidelines on how to use it? Is roll20 free to use for instance, if not what is the price?

I get that a mic is required for faster gameplay. But is a cam required, because i don't have one and I have a slow connection.

I prefer theater of the mind for combat rather than maps, is that ok?

Anything else I should know?

Roll20 has a free level of membership and a paid level. Paid level gives a few more options but I personally do ok with just the free one.

A mic is useful, although we actually use Skype for talking as we are used to that over roll20's voice system.

Not used the hangouts dice app yet myself but most of what we use Roll20 for is the dice rolling side of things and the occasional quick drawn map. It is easy to theatre of the mind it.

FYI Roll20 dice app does not translate Star Wars FFG dice results, 

So you either have to convert to SW dice results yourself. Or use an outside App to roll, which then dice rolls aren't rolled in public so you end up with the honor system anyway. 

PHP, rpol.net  site, their dice roll does have a SW FFG dice roller, so you get the results in the SW format. 

I have thought, if I ran a Face to face Game online, I would use rpol's site for dice rolling. 

But then I use the virtual table top (free) Maptools, in which macros can be easily created to produce the dice results. 

FYI Roll20 dice app does not translate Star Wars FFG dice results, 

So you either have to convert to SW dice results yourself. Or use an outside App to roll, which then dice rolls aren't rolled in public so you end up with the honor system anyway. 

PHP, rpol.net  site, their dice roll does have a SW FFG dice roller, so you get the results in the SW format. 

I have thought, if I ran a Face to face Game online, I would use rpol's site for dice rolling. 

But then I use the virtual table top (free) Maptools, in which macros can be easily created to produce the dice results. 

Or use the scripts that are available to do this. There is a character sheet and scripts that do the die rolling for roll 20