Sign in to follow this  
HolySorcerer

Epic X-Wing poll

Well, that's an unfair poll... technically, I have never played an Epic game, but I have only gotten my Raider this week and have not had a chance.  I have the Tantive IV and the Transport and am looking for a good opportunity.  As this is the first chance I have had, I am disqualified by your poll even though I have been working towards Epic and plan to play it semi-frequently.

Well, that's an unfair poll... technically, I have never played an Epic game, but I have only gotten my Raider this week and have not had a chance.  I have the Tantive IV and the Transport and am looking for a good opportunity.  As this is the first chance I have had, I am disqualified by your poll even though I have been working towards Epic and plan to play it semi-frequently.

You're not disqualified, as there is clearly an answer stating that you have never played a game of epic, which is your current situation.

I'd be more interested if it were split into "I haven't, and don't much care to" vs "I haven't, but am intending to do so in the near future".

Remember, the Gozanti only just came out. Many folks have been waiting for the Imperials to field the cool stuff, for better or worse.

Well looking for a joke about forum polls. Found one about 2016 election year instead (FML).

Anyways the choices are well as one already mentioned not anywhere in the description. It was 0 1 some and only play Epic. Again this is a poor poll.

Maybe instead it should be a frequency type selection like 

• never and did not intend to play
  • want to try but never had a chance
  • tried it once
  • played it once a year
  • played it ever few months
  • played it once a month
  • played it often
  • only format for X-wing I played.

However maybe the poll site doesn't allow for options so here is a 4 option list.

Do you own a huge ship for X-wing miniatures?

1. No, I own nothing from a huge ship expansion
  2. Found components online or bought one used at a discount
  3. Yes I have a huge ship but never played epic format
  4. Yes I have a huge ship and I have played epic format

I think you would get better results with that straw poll. The second option is for those that E bay or consider huge ships to be too expensive so they find it at a discount mainly for items like the TIE advanced fix or C-3PO. The third will mostly those who just bought a huge ship or are in a remote location or bought the ship more of a desk ornament but don't play X-wing. 1 and 4 would probably be the most popular ones.

Edited by Marinealver

Well looking for a joke about forum polls. Found one about 2016 election year instead (FML).

Anyways the choices are well as one already mentioned not anywhere in the description. It was 0 1 some and only play Epic. Again this is a poor poll.

Maybe instead it should be a frequency type selection like 

• never and did not intend to play
  • want to try but never had a chance
  • tried it once
  • played it once a year
  • played it ever few months
  • played it once a month
  • played it often
  • only format for X-wing I played.

However maybe the poll site doesn't allow for options so here is a 4 option list.

Do you own a huge ship for X-wing miniatures?

1. No, I own nothing from a huge ship expansion
  2. Found components online or bought one used at a discount
  3. Yes I have a huge ship but never played epic format
  4. Yes I have a huge ship and I have played epic format

I think you would get better results with that straw poll. The second option is for those that E bay or consider huge ships to be too expensive so they find it at a discount mainly for items like the TIE advanced fix or C-3PO. The third will mostly those who just bought a huge ship or are in a remote location or bought the ship more of a desk ornament but don't play X-wing. 1 and 4 would probably be the most popular ones.

I like your four choices. They're much closer to what I was expecting the poll to be.

I do expect a suprising number to be in camp #3, though. Desk ornaments are not to be underestimated. :)

I've only played once, in an altered Team Epic- it was 200-200 Rebels vs. 100X4 Imperials. It was fun, although at the time the Raider wasn't out yet.

I haven't gotten a chance to play again, but I'm going to make time to do so once I finally get my hands on the Gozanti and Cr-90 this weekend.

Curious that a majority of players have at least tried epic.

Especially considering how flawed this poll is. There's a rather large difference between someone who has no desire to play Epic and someone who does but hasn't gotten a chance to yet.

If people answer the way the OP says they should... Then there needs to be a way to change your vote, if you get to play epic after you vote.

It does prove rather conclusively however that at least among people here Epic is popular. With 57% of the people having played Epic at least once.

Edited by VanorDM

Where is the option for "very familiar with rules but haven't played," and "somewhat familiar with rules but haven't played?"

I'd fit in the latter, personally.

Through experience I have found that someone who hasn't played epic is not familiar with the rules for Epic. The whole interaction with with huge ships and the table is much different than from standard.

I have no idea why Epic is such frowned upon. After two years in this hobbie most players should have at least the most basic Epic list or lists. I and most on this forum probably have enough for a 1000 point game. I would love to play one Epic game a month. But too much complaining from people.

Be mindful that Epic does NOT need a huge ship.

Edited by EmpireErik

If people want to make a better poll than the OP's, then I invite them to do so - so we can badger you about your framing. :P

Anyway, to the issue, I ran (and played in) an epic event this past weekend. 12 players and a custom scenario. It was a lot of fun, despite my flawed execution of it all.

I think it is a mistake to think of Epic X-Wing as a game that hits the same pleasure centers as standard X-Wing does. Standard play is very much about the competition on a level playing field. If that's your thing, you could do that with Epic, but I'm not sure why you would do it - that's what you have standard play for. Epic play seems to be more for those who play more casually and have a narrative backdrop to it - in which the players are cooperating in enjoying the game with its fictitious context.