Sign in to follow this  
FTS Gecko

Would you prefer Poe's T-70 & the TIE/sf to come in a "Force Awakens Aces" box?

Poe's Black & Orange X-Wing and the First Order Special Forces TIE.  It's inevitable that we'll see both ships at some point - but would you prefer to see them as part of a Wave release or as a stand alone expansion?

The reason I ask is because the Force Awakens releases so far have been independent of the main release Waves (although the T-70 X-Wing and TIE/fo were added to the Wave 8 previews, they came out separately - and over a month earlier - to tie(/)in with the release of the film).

Also because these ships - while no doubt highly anticipated - are aesthetically very similar to the other Force Awakens ships we've seen so far.  And while the TIE/sf is functionally very different, the T-70 is not.  Personally, I'm not sure I'd be all that excited by seeing a T-70 X-Wing feature in two waves in a row.

So how's about it people?  Would you be up for a "Force Awakens Aces" set?

I don't think the two ships are equivalent.

Poe's T-70 is the exact thing that belongs in an Aces pack: a repaint of an existing ship and an opportunity to add some of the named T-70 aces that Episode VII's "mystery box" fetishism kept us from getting: Snap Wexley, Jess Pava, Nien Nunb as a pilot, etc.

The TIE/sf is not just cosmetically different from the TIE/fo - it's a different model and the ship probably has different capabilities (rear arc, different weapon upgrades). If it's a new ship, I don't think it should premiere inside an "Aces" pack. 

It would depend on how many TIE/sf's you would want.

I wouldn't want more than 1 black and orange T-70 myself, partly because it's supposed to be special and partly because I'll already have 3 T-70's. So if I want say 2-4 sf's that means 2-4 Black T-70's.

That's kind of what I'm wondering about.  Traditionally, repaints have come in the "Aces" sets, and if the black and orange T-70 offers nothing different functionally than a regular T-70, bringing it out as a standalone expansion would seem a bit odd - especially as you rightly say, most people would probably only want one.  If it was packaged together with upgrades you;d want multiples of - well, that might upset a lot of people (look at the aggro we had over one copy of Integrated Astromech in the T-70 - and conceivably you might want a couple of them).

But yeah, it would depend a lot on what the TIE/sf had to offer.  Maybe a "Most Wanted" style pack, with two TIE/sf, Poe's X-Wing, lots of new Tech upgrades and new Falcon pilot cards/crew?  But as Ironlord pointed out, single-faction players would object in that case.

Whichever way you do it, it's not going to please everyone I guess.

Whichever way you do it, it's not going to please everyone I guess.

Isn't that the case of almost everything that's released now? Some how, for some reason, someone will get their knickers twisted in a bunch over something in any given release and rant and fume how FFG is ruining the game/forcing them to buy this/grabbing for more money/etc.

Honestly, for a game of toy plastic space ships that loads of otherwise grown-up people play.. we sure do get overly excited about things sometimes.

But yeah, it makes sense to keep the TIE/so as it's own release. They need more of a back-story for Poe as to why he suddenly shows up in this spiffy black X-Wing too, at least for those of us hat don't have the time to read all the books and comics. Should there be a whole squadron of them? Or just him personally? Or what about inevitable T-85s?

Edited by Slugrage

I think the Black and Orange T-70 will be best issued in a Resistance Epic ship. I have no idea if such a thing will even exist, but that makes the most sense to me. One of the strangest things about the black and orange X-wing is that the only pilot is Poe Dameron and we already have the Poe Dameron pilot card.

FFG could make 2 big box expansions for TFA and would buy em!

1. "Heroes of the Resistance": Black-One, Resistance Transport and Millennium Falcon.

2. "Champions of the First Order":

TIE/sf x2 and the First Order Command Shuttle.

(3. Then, the Resistance Transport and Special Forces TIE available as seperate expansions.)

-I didn't include the FO Trooper Transport (or the Quadjumper) since it has no weapons, besides the blaster when landing.

The TIE/sf needs to be a standalone expansion which I think alone kills that idea.

That being said does a 2nd T-70 expansion with the black and orange paint scheme make sense? There is clear demand for a pre-painted version of Poe's ship. You could flesh out more of TFA's pilots that the core and expack haven't already covered. You have to figure that sales of that individual expansion wouldn't be as robust given that most players wouldn't want more than 1 but the expected lower sales could be partially off set by the fact that the design and development work is already done thus creating a higher profit margin on the units you do sell.

Or perhaps you could see Poe's custom T-70 released in a larger pack with a new Milenium Falcon with rectangular dish?

Yeah, your right. New Falcon plus Poe wouldn't fly either.

Speaking of business decisions and profit margins, I am certain we will get an updated Falcon. Not only can they get Rey pilot and Finn crew/gunner into the game but they can also use the same design with just a new dish and a more weathered looking paint job for the Falcon and make a handsome profit.

Maybe some other pilot from Blue Squadron will get a promotion in the next film?  Or maybe they will give Poe a black and orange T-85 and that's what we'll get and Black One (as it's now been dubbed) will never actually see an official model from FFG?

After all we already have Poe in a T-70.  Any further T-70 releases like another dual pack or epic + small ship will likely see only more pilots for the ships and not any repeats. 

Would I like to see a Tie /sf and something else?  Whoa hell yeah, even if it was just a twin pack like Imp Aces. 

That's my bet actually.  I'll wager that they release a Resistance Ace and First Order Ace pack, and then maybe by then we will have another movie with more Scum ships!  And we can have another mythical Most Wanted kit that is impossible to get!  Lol. 

Yeah, your right. New Falcon plus Poe wouldn't fly either.

Speaking of business decisions and profit margins, I am certain we will get an updated Falcon. Not only can they get Rey pilot and Finn crew/gunner into the game but they can also use the same design with just a new dish and a more weathered looking paint job for the Falcon and make a handsome profit.

Well, you say that... but personally I've not been overly enamoured by the new ships so far.

I picked up the Force Awakens core set, sure, but haven't used the ships yet.  Haven't picked up any of the T-70's (although I'm tempted) and I don't plan on getting any TIE/fo's.

This is not an old vs new kind of thing (although I'm really looking forward to the Punishing One, Mist Hunter and Imperial Veterans) - I loved the film, I'm just not feeling the new expansions for some reason.

I've said it before, but I think they totally ****** up with the T-70 and TIE/fo.

They should have just been Title upgrades for the old ships.  The TFA box set should have simply included the new varient models, but then had the ships themselves be the same type as the old ones, and included Title cards.  One for the X-Wing that gave it +1 Shield and Boost.  And one for the TIE Fighter that gave it +1 Shield and Target Lock.

I also think the Tech slot is just stupid.  It's completely redundant with Modifications and Systems both being in the game already.

I wonder how well the new core sets are selling then

Irrelevant since it's a Core Set that comes with a bunch of other stuff players need as well.

I hate the idea of multi faction box sets.  But I still own both Core Sets because I needed all the rest of the stuff in the box.

I've said it before, but I think they totally ****** up with the T-70 and TIE/fo.

They should have just been Title upgrades for the old ships.  The TFA box set should have simply included the new varient models, but then had the ships themselves be the same type as the old ones, and included Title cards.  One for the X-Wing that gave it +1 Shield and Boost.  And one for the TIE Fighter that gave it +1 Shield and Target Lock.

That'd be a little odd for new players. T-70s for the ANH crew would be equally strange.

I think instead we'll get a whole Force Awakens wave.

The ship Rey wanted to steal initially as a scum ship.   Poe's T-70, TIE/sf, Updated Falcon, Leia's command shuttle, Kylo Ren's Shuttle, all possibilities. 

You make it sound like they had a choice. Which I doubt they did. I'm fairly sure that Disney said 'You will make new models from the movie and put them into the game'

I don't think the two ships are equivalent.

Poe's T-70 is the exact thing that belongs in an Aces pack: a repaint of an existing ship and an opportunity to add some of the named T-70 aces that Episode VII's "mystery box" fetishism kept us from getting: Snap Wexley, Jess Pava, Nien Nunb as a pilot, etc.

The TIE/sf is not just cosmetically different from the TIE/fo - it's a different model and the ship probably has different capabilities (rear arc, different weapon upgrades). If it's a new ship, I don't think it should premiere inside an "Aces" pack. 

I can only agree to this, bring the T-70 in a rebel ace pack along with a T-65 fix. Because then there is always the option of brining another one with the E-Wing and the Y-Wing.

The Tie/sf should be a standalone ship in a blister.

You make it sound like they had a choice. Which I doubt they did. I'm fairly sure that Disney said 'You will make new models from the movie and put them into the game'

I'm not saying they shouldn't have made new models.  I'm saying those new models didn't have to be a separate ship type.

I'd be surprised if anyone handing down ultimatums from Disney knows the game mechanics well enough to know the difference between Poe as T-70 X-Wing pilot, and Poe as an X-Wing Pilot with a T-70 Title upgrade.

And from a gameplay standpoint, you just have it so both models are legal X-Wing representations.

Edited by DarthEnderX

I think instead we'll get a whole Force Awakens wave.

Poe's T-70, TIE/sf, Updated Falcon, Leia's command shuttle, Kylo Ren's Shuttle, all possibilities. 

Leia's shuttle looked like a useless flying burrito - I hope they don't waste a release on that :\