Sign in to follow this  
Hondo Ohnaka

So what exatly does the Firespray DO?

Actually one thing is missing.

as a dedicated Scum player I can tell you one thing:

Kath with barrelroll is the beef.

Kath with K4 and barrelroll is SUPER FUN

try it. fly it. love it.

no way is 31 a tournament level ship. But it is FUN.

I'm not particularly good with Firesprays, something about their rear arc doesn't click in my mind.  Stat-wise, however, there's something to be said for not having a hard counter.  2 greens mean swarms aren't cutting them down too fast, especially in that important opening turn.  10 hp means you've got some meat between you and whatever 4-dice secondary weapon super-shot you might have coming your way.  The rear arc means people have to work harder to outmaneuver you, and you can fight in more ways.  You've got good attack dice.  

Coming soon, I'm going to try and throw the old 33 point Imperial Bounty Hunter in a list again.  There's a lot of cheap new upgrades that you can stack on this guy and still keep him reasonably costed.  

Bounty Hunter 33

Kallus 2

Slave 1 Title 0

Long Range Sensors 0

This guy at 35 points can enter combat with a TL, mini-Focus on attack and defense, and an Evade token.  You can also up your alpha strike by putting a missile, EM, and bombs as points and the rest of your squad allow.  

I flew dual Firesprays exclusively for the months heading into Regionals and made the cut with them. The only thing keeping them down is TLTs, but otherwise I feel like they are fantastic ships.

Assuming we're talking about the high-PS pilots, Firesprays are actually arc-dodgers and jouster hybrids (with a little bit of turret in 'em).

They can outmaneuver lower-PS ships and VI Boba can hunt PS9 aces etc. At the same time they are still much better at jousting compared to Turrets.

The list I ran:

Scum Boba Fett [VI, EU, ID]

Scum Kath [HLC, EU, PTL, K4]

Versus turrets, I would go for jousts and almost always win due through efficiency.

If I saw arc-dodgers, I would set up kill-zone arcs with Kath, then chase with Boba Fett.

Swarm/jousters is the hardest matchup where you have to rely on EU and rear arcs. Boba's ability mitigates some of that threat, but getting blocked can still ruin you.

The triple firespray list is a good way to get a handle on firesprays.

That list was feared a lot after wave 2, but then people found ways of defeating it.

I also recently read a thread where worlds results were analyzed.

Did you know that no Firespray ever made it to the top tables in 2013-2015 world championships?

I would have thought that at least one Triple Bounty or some Boba Fett would have made top 16 or 32 at least once. Because i don't really see big flaws in the ship's design. It has 2 Agi, 3 Attack, 10HP and Auxiliary arcs. So it is pretty survivable with an evade action and good options and offense. It only lacks some mobility but that's fixed with EU! But nope! Nada... Not one Firespray saying hello at worlds!

That's astonishing, because there were even Tie Bombers and HWK's in the Top ranks at least once or twice!

Riddle me this.

What exactly is the Firespray's role on the table? Is it a heavy fighter? Is it a bomber? Is it a weapons platform? Is it all and none of these things at the same time?

Maybe the Firespray is kind of like a Rancor. A piece of meat that lacks speed or subtlety to predate on anything, and must rely on Jabba dropping something its way. Maybe that's how I should use one, against helpless noobs that can't help but be herded into its threat area. They can them graduate as X Wing players after they figure out Fett doesn't really do anything and can be killed by a blind man.

BOO%252520TOPIC%252520GOOD%252520.png

I fly scum Kath a lot ... Predator, tactician, engine, ion cannon ..

Engine, for those times I can move after Dash ...

Ion cannon with tactician for that one time it hits ... You can sometimes keep it going ... Walked Poe off the board with that ..

Usually fly her with two z.95's and an ion turret btl y.wing, keeping her at 50-51 points for the half scoring ...

Emon with three proximity mines and experimental interface? So much fun ...

Just started flying scum Boba, liking him a lot now too..

Firespray is one of my favourite ships ever...

The Auxiliary rear Arc is amazing.

The Scum pilot abilities are great.

It's 10 hp and 2 agility mean that A) You're going to last a while, so you get to use your offense, and B) Focus tokens are actually good defensively.

Its 3 attack (and Aux Arc) means that you'll be dealing consistent damage.

It is solid.

Also, for a true crash-course in learning how to Boba Fett or Kath Scarlett properly? Run a triple Bounty Hunter list (the imperial 33 point generic).

No boost.

No Pilot Skill.

But you still wreck face fairly well, which is nice :)

The Auxiliary rear Arc is amazing.

The Scum pilot abilities are great.

It's 10 hp and 2 agility mean that A) You're going to last a while, so you get to use your offense, and B) Focus tokens are actually good defensively.

Its 3 attack (and Aux Arc) means that you'll be dealing consistent damage.

It is solid.

Also, for a true crash-course in learning how to Boba Fett or Kath Scarlett properly? Run a triple Bounty Hunter list (the imperial 33 point generic).

No boost.

No Pilot Skill.

But you still wreck face fairly well, which is nice :)

:D

I love Firesprays. They require a certain level of build efficiency though as they don't take non-defensive upgrades well. But used as an attack sponge, they're great.

Rush in. Get close. Tank 7-9 damage, hop over the enemy and let the other 60ish points to go town on what's left as they have to pick me targets of take 60 points up the backside.

Ugh, when do people learn it. You can't fly Firesprays without engine upgrade!

Ugh, when do people learn it. You can't fly aces without boost!

Ugh, when do people learn that Engine Upgrade on high PS ships all the time is just a crutch for people who can't fly better?

Ugh, when do people learn it. You can't fly A-Wings without engine upgrade!

Firespray-31: · Kath Scarlet (38)

· Lone Wolf (2)

Seismic Charges (2)

Engine Upgrade (4)

Outlaw Tech (2)

Glitterstim (2)

Y-Wing: Syndicate Thug (18)

Twin Laser Turret (6)

Unhinged Astromech (1)

Y-Wing: Syndicate Thug (18)

Twin Laser Turret (6)

Unhinged Astromech (1)

the firespray shoots out its butt

Always makes me think of the Spathi ship from Star Control... sometimes when I fire out the rear arc I even make the farty "ptoot" noise. :|

Ahh yes.  The good ole B.U.T.T. (Backward Utilizing Tracking Torpedo) weapon.

I still break out my Star Control 3 CD rom about once a year, but the graphics are so old my computer doesn't recognize them and all the coloring is wrong.

The Firespray is the Ion Machine.

Think about it -- with the Slave-1 title, it's the only ship in the game that can simultaneously equip Ion Torpedoes, Ion Pulse Missiles, an Ion Cannon, an Ion Bomb, and Ion Projectors.

thats pretty funny, if you take Krassis for 50 points you can put Slave 1, Extra munisions,ion Bombs , ion pulse missile , ion cannon and Agent Kallus, and then just walk a particular ship off the board .

I think of the Firespray is a Large multi-role fighter. A fairly successful one - certainly faring much better than the X-Wing, TIE Defender and E-Wing. Its got a vast variety of armaments it can mount and the title can vary its loadout even further.

Mobility upgrades (Barrel Roll or Boost) work wonders on this ship due to it's F/R Arcs.

It's starting to show it's age due to power creep and could benefit from a small upgrade.