Sign in to follow this  
hardbap

Using Howlrunner on a TIE/fo model?

This will depend on your TO/judge. The argument will exist that putting the distinguishable model on the peg while flying Howlrunner could result in your opponent planning maneuvers and the like based on the TIE/FO's dial and stats. Additionally, because they are two different ships with different stats and dials, this opens the door for flying Howlrunner with a TIE Interceptor model. At face value exchanging the physical model of the TIE Fighter for the TIE/FO Fighter is no different than exchanging it for a TIE Interceptor - just because the TIE/FO Fighter looks more like the TIE Fighter than the TIE Interceptor this does not mean this is an allowable swap.

That being said, as a TO/judge I would rule that you MAY exchange the models based on their very similar appearance. However, you MUST indicate the model is not correct for the ship you are actually flying to your opponent at the start of each match and if your opponent objects you MUST immediately comply with switching to the TIE Fighter model for the duration of that match. Failure to comply would result in...an unfavorable outcome.

The rules may say differently, but given that this model is very nearly identical other than the paintjob (and custom paint is allowed in tournament play), I'd be shocked (and a little annoyed) if it was barred by a TO at an event.  It's a cool looking paintjob!  Most simple solution around the issue though...custom paint a standard TIE to match the others in your flight.  :)

The rules may say differently, but given that this model is very nearly identical other than the paintjob (and custom paint is allowed in tournament play), I'd be shocked (and a little annoyed) if it was barred by a TO at an event.  It's a cool looking paintjob!  Most simple solution around the issue though...custom paint a standard TIE to match the others in your flight.  :)

Just to point it out, the model is from a completely different mold. It's not just the paintjob there are significant physical differences - due to scale the differences are small however it is, just like the TIE Interceptor a physically different mold and thus ship model.

Again, I would not enforce this particular correct model/pilot policy unless there was a player objection.

For the weekly Fly Casual league, I'd leave it up to a given opponent to object to or allow, and back them either way.  But for a competitive tournament I would not allow you to run the /fo model as the /ln pilot Howlrunner.  Nor would I allow subbing a T-70 for a T-65 or vice versa, despite the generally very similar profile.

I realize your intent is probably just to have a cool, uniform-looking First Order force that benefits from her great ability, but they are different ships with pronounced in-game differences in terms of maneuver dial, statline, and action bar.  When there's any reasonable room for confusion that could give a competitive advantage/disadvantage I'm afraid I have to side on the rules as written.

The models are subtly different:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/187747-tie-lnfo-model-differences/?p=1782979

Seconding the advice of just painting up a spare /ln in /fo colors for a similar, and unambiguously tournament legal effect.