Sign in to follow this  
Animewarsdude

Miniatures for Star Wars RPG

If FFG were to produce miniatures, based off the character tokens from the 3 beginner games, would you be interested in buying them and using them in your campaigns? Sort of along the same idea of supplements products like the career decks. 

Here is the list of the tokens as best I could order them:

Edge of the Empire Beginner Game: Total 34 Miniatures

Heroes:

Oskara, Bounty Hunter (Female Twi’lek)

Pash, Smuggler (Male Human, model currently in IA as Rebel Smuggler so could reprint)

41-VEX, Colonist (Droid)

Lowhhrick, Hired Gun (Male Wookie)

NPCs:

4 Stormtroopers (Could reprint from IA)

2 Stormtrooper Officers (Could reprint from IA)

2 Imperial Officers (Could reprint from IA)

4 Security Droids

4 Gamorian Guards

3 Aquish Thugs

1 Trandoshan Bounty Hunter (Could use the Trandoshan Mercenary from IA)

3 Human Thugs

2 Humans characters

3 Mynock

Rancor

Temo, Hutt

Age of Rebellion Beginner Game: Total 38 Miniatures

Heroes:

Arkhan, Commander (Male Bothan)

Cael, Soldier (Male Human)

Jin-Rio, Diplomat (Female Human)

Tendaar, Engineer (Male Mon Calamari)

Vendri, Spy (Male Duro, model currently in IA as Rebel Saboteur)

Zal, Ace (Female Human)

NPCs:

4 Scout Troopers on Speeder Bike

4 Scout Troopers

4 Storm Troopers (could reprint from IA)

2 Heavy Storm Troopers (Could reprint from IA)

4 Imperial Navy Troopers

2 Imperial Officers (Could reprint from IA)

Moff Lasre Dardano

2 AT-ST

3 Rebel Troopers (Could reprint from IA)

2 Twi’lek

2 Trandoshan Mercenaries (Could reprint from IA)

2 Mynock

Force and Destiny Beginner Game: Total 54 Miniatures

Heroes:

Belandi, Consular (Female Mirialan)

Dao, Mystic (Male Zabrak)

Kaveri, Seeker (Female Togruta)

Pon, Warrior (Male Nautolan)

Sarenda, Guardian (Female Human)

Tarast, Sentinel (Male Kel Dor)

NPCs:

1 Malefax, Dark Jedi (Male Devaronian)

Hethan Romund, Scholar (Female Human)

1 Force Ghost

1 Female Twi’lek (Could reprint Dialia from IA)

1 Imperial Officer (Could reprint from IA)

2 Storm Trooper Officers (Could reprint from IA)

4 Storm Troopers (Could reprint from IA)

2 Snow Troopers (Could reprint from IA)

3 Probe Droids (Could reprint from IA)

4 Advozse Mercenaries

2 Female Human Scouts

2 Male Human Scouts

2 Zabrak Mercenaries

2 Twi’lek

1 Rodian Mercenary (Could reprint from IA)

1 Male Duro

1 Female Human Smuggler

5 Human Hunters

6 Icewolves

Acklay

And a few, 5, I couldn’t make out

Edited by Animewarsdude

I am only buying X-Wing ATM.

I find miniatures of characters actually detrimental to the image the player has of his figure. I actually really like the tokens. Easy to store, easy to make yourself and the picture can be anything the player likes.

Not to be a negative nancy, and be a de-railer to your thread, but from a monetary stand point, I doubt FFG will produce miniatures based off the tokens from the RPG line. I don't play the Imperial Assualt game, and I didn't buy it, as the lines are not compatible, and I really despise using miniatures in my RPGs anymore. I just a white board and makers anymore. Anymore than I feel that these rules really break down after that. For a D20 game, like Saga, you HAD to have their minis to really play the game, hell even in the books, they had pictures of the minis in their diagrams... Talk about cross advertising.

For those that like using minis, that's great. I'm not saying you are bad people or anything. I am just saying with this system, I have found no need for minis in it. The few times I have used minis, it really seemed to bog the game down more than help it. I truly and firmly believe the beginners box sets came with the tokens and grid maps to help convert the D20 players over and help in understand this system. It provided the anchor point, that part of the game which still felt familiar and comfortable, while explaining this new system.

This past weekend, a player used a grenade in an enclosed room. We don't use greandes that often, so the rules were a little foggy and unfamiliar to us. We were all a little unsure about about Blast, and it was activated. Since the PCs were hit with it as well, but had on armored clothing, they felt that their armor defense of 1 should come into play, and some ideas and theories got thrown around of range bands/damage reductions/armor defenses/extra soak values.... It got kind of crazy. All this just on my white board. I could only imagine having my WotC minis out, and trying to figure out line is sights, how many "squares" away, and all that now... It really bogged down the encounter and the adventure. Some players wanted more mechanics in the grenade stuff. I like the simplicity of it. If you can activate Blast, everything in the area is hit, regardless of defense rating, or even Adverasry rating. So it treats everyone equal, PC and NPC alike. Actually, I think it is harsher to the NPCs, because it can bypass Adversary levels.

Anyway, when we start detailing out more stuff on the table top, we really start detailing out more stuff on the table top, and the rules get more and more complicated. I just feel that with the FFG rules, there really is no need for miniatures. This is a system designed to get around minis and maps.

Short answer: No. I have zero interest or intention or buying FFG related miniature products. I could never, ever see the need to use a miniature of a Force Ghost in any game even a FaD one.

I like miniatures but miniatures don't translate well to FFG's Star Wars RPG lines. I have a tub of WotC miniatures that I use to count out groups of minions and to show who is engaged with who. I also have some of WotC's crappy star fighter minis that I occasionally use for relative positioning and range bands. And that's about it. I could literally use pennies or pebbles for that and no one would be confused.

I used a lot of minis when I first started running EotE. But when I caught my players literally counting squares, I quit drawing maps on my vinyl battle mat.

That said, I do own Imperial Assault and those are literally the nicest looking SW minis I've ever seen.

Yeah, generally would pass on a new set of Star Wars minis as well.  I've already got the full run of the WotC minis line, so for those infrequent instances where the live-table games I play in (as opposed to virtual table) require minis, I've got the group covered by a country mile and then some.

Though to be fair, depending on how FFG marketed these, I might pick up some of the unique heroes, but only if they were of a compatible scale with the WotC minis, which isn't likely.

Our group uses minis a lot, both WotC and IA. We painted up four sets of IA and repainted WotC minis. We built buildings, streets and shops as well as made speeders and and a ship. We are old school gamers who like the minis on the table. I, as well as most of my group, would buy the minis alone, if they sold them that way. 

Our group uses minis a lot, both WotC and IA. We painted up four sets of IA and repainted WotC minis. We built buildings, streets and shops as well as made speeders and and a ship. We are old school gamers who like the minis on the table. I, as well as most of my group, would buy the minis alone, if they sold them that way. 

This is really funny to me, as here in Germany "Old School Roleplaygamers" shun minis on the table. In Germany we always relied more on our imagination. I guess it has to do with the Dark Eye and how it effectively replaced D&D shortly after Gygax' game came over the big pond. In Germany players using minis in RPG's are actually quite rare and are even looked funnily upon.

I've only recently started using a whiteboard to draw out basic maps (this blob is a building, this frog looking thing is a landspeeder...) and started using minis, and it has helped out tremendously. No longer do we have any theater-of-the-mind confusion about who was standing where, and which way did the stormtroopers come from again? It's all laid out in front of us, in abstract but concrete clarity. In contrast to what others have said, I've found that it speeds up my combats greatly.

I would love a new set of mini's for the games! I don't have older versions and am using imperial assault. Ones that tie into both games like the new IA smuggler ally based on Pash's art from the EotE beginner box would be great. One of my players is using Oskara as a continuing character and I can't find a female Twi'lek mini that isn't a dancer at all (not counting Diala Pasil who is clearly not a Bounty Hunter). I would love some male and female bodies in various armor types and some different alien heads to switch between so I could make my players their own character minis.

I don't think it is a bad idea and I would be interested to see what they come out with. Especially with them getting to do the new content like the First Order.  For me it depends on the group I am playing with if we use visual aids like Mini's or tokens. Right now I am in the planning stages of a upgrade to my gaming table where it will change on how I use visuals aids. Looking at building something like the Holocube / Hologram Pyramid for my visual presentations. Which I plan on scanning my WotC Mini's. (I also have a large set of them) For my 3D Visual references. So I wouldn't mind getting a few new Mini's FFG would put out to do the same with. 

I would not be surprised if the Imperial Assault sets would be a base for what FFG would do going forward. Along with X-Wing and Armada. It would be interesting (Not that I think this will happen) if they collaborated with WotC on resurrecting the old Mini line. Another idea is if they went something like what War Hammer does.  

If you are putting lines/hexes on your maps for FFG you are doing it wrong. :)  Using a map to designate where everything is saves me lots of time instead of re-explaining things several times ("No the door is on this side of the cantina"). It doesn't have to be a large colorful diorama with plastic minis, a whiteboard is fine, just leave the lines off of it since hexes and squares have nothing to do with this system.

If FFG makes minis, please make them cheap. I don't need expensive works of art when making a collection for RPG use. Please FFG don't make them the same quality of your Star Wars boardgames minis. Those are great, but in an RPG you need lots of varied minis so making works of art with a larger price tag would prevent me from purchasing them. Also, I would like them the same size as my d20 collection so I can use them together. :)

I think the best thing for FFG to do is start releasing more sets of the cardboard tokens like those that have come out in the Beginner games. Boxes of several sheets of these centered around various themes would be nice: Vehicles, Starships, Imperial Forces, Rebel Forces, Scum & Villany, Imperial Citizens, Creatures, etc. FFG should be able to do this quickly and cheaply compared to making plastic miniatures. A PoD product would also make sense. I would love to be able to go to their website and click and purchase several sheets at a time: 3 Imperial Ground Forces, 2 Rebel Ground Forces, 1 Creature, 1 Vehicle, and click buy.

Heroforge is awesome if expensive if you want personalized miniatures. I had two created for myself (one for a character I'm playing in a D&D Out of the Abyss campaign I am in and one for a friend who is also in the campaign).

I designed characters for a group concept I have based on the Wizard of Oz characters for inspiration.

Dorothy Human Explorer/Archaeologist

Dorothy.png

Toto Drall Sentinal/Artisan

Toto.png

Lion Cathar Hired Gun/Marauder

Lion.png

Tin Man Human Cyborg Bounty Hunter/Gadgeteer

Tin%20Man.png

Scarecrow Droid Technician/Outlaw Tech

Scarecrow.png

The robot type is limited to bipedal humanoid unfortunately, but overall the system is pretty good and they seem to be expanding slowly but surely.

If FFG makes minis, please make them cheap.

Unless they're made of cardboard, there's no way to make this a reality.

Read this part:

I don't need expensive works of art when making a collection for RPG use. 

d20 minis are an example of "cheap". FFG X-wing are beautiful, but expensive, "works of art". That's the difference I was going for. I don't want to spend $10 per RPG mini. I just would prefer the cheaper minis as opposed to the high end ones since I tend to buy much more when it's for an RPG (I can field a full platoon of Stormtroopers using d20).

Edited by Sturn

And while not Star Wars. Here are the two I actually bought.

Dronin Nagh Drow Warlock 5/Archfey Pact of the Blade (my character).

Dronin.png

Rocrich Human Wizard 4/Barbarian 1 (my buddy's character)

Rocrich.png

My buddy built a fighter but made him a wizard. Nothing funnier than seeing our wizard pull his flaming mace and rage. GM usually gives him advantage for the first attack because no one ever expects the mage to do that.

Here they are painted. I make no claims to being a great painter. Or a great photographer.

12509904_10153896941632112_8140295982998

Mouthymerc those Edge themed Wizard of Oz miniatures are awesome, and the entire idea of the group is fantastic. I guess they are looking for the Force Wizard of Onderon?  :P

Thanks. Had an idea where she crash lands on a backwater planet. In the process of getting her ship running again she meets the others. The "Wizard" would be the guy running a local ugnaught mining operation and local defacto ruler who uses holograms to good effect. The witch would be a Dark side scientist/witch performing secret experiments on various creatures for the Emperor/Empire. Still may come up with something to run for my group.