Sign in to follow this  
heychadwick

Epic Storage? (non-foam)

NOTE:  I have purchased foam trays and packs for other game systems.  They are incredibly expensive (to me) and are only really needed when you have some hand painted minis that could get banged around.  I've had my minis in a Plano tray and they have not been banged up since Wave 1.  I have no interest in a foam tray.  Please don't suggest it.

I used to store my CR-90 in the top of my Plano case.  Then, I had too many large based ships.  I got the Raider and I bought a tool box to put them in.

Now, if you look at my Plano, it just doesn't have the room.  I'm almost out of room for small ships:

20160103_203147_zpsnqyv9vol.jpg

20160103_203208_zpsarm3pkau.jpg

Just as I was getting the Gozanti, I got one of those Star Wars boxes from Michaels:

20160103_203021_zpstcwmxl0l.jpg

The problem is that it just holds my 2 Epic, epic cards and such, and my large based ships:

20160103_203034_zpsdfsih1m4.jpg

So..............I have no idea if there is anything that can hold all my Epic.  What does everyone else use?  Once again, I am unwilling to shell out all the cash required for a foam system.  Thank you. 

If you're not willing to buy a specialized foam solution, maybe you can try to ghetto it? Look at crafting your own solution with styrofoam/upholstery foam/foam core? You could even try paper maiche since you have the plastic stuff the ship comes in.

Specialized retail soultions are for ppl with money and don't have time/are unwilling to spend time; DIY solutions are for ppl with time and are unwilling to spend much money/prefer to build their own stuff.

Edited by Hantheman

Upholstery store? Diy store? Arts and craft store? Amazon? Depends on what you have near your location. I've ghettoed a $10 matteress for its foam for a soundbox before.

Maybe visit your local dollar store - there might be something there u can rip up for your purposes (pillow or cushion)

Edited by Hantheman

I have a large Sterilite plastic bin that comfortably fits 4 epic ships.  I have created my own custom foam cushions for each of my ships out of leftover computer packing foam and foam bought at Walmart for $7 for 576 cubic inches. With a bit of craft glue, scissors, an Xacto knife, and some patience, you can make a foam home for any miniature.

I could probably fit more ships in the bin if I were willing to redesign how I protect them.

I have created my own custom foam cushions for each of my ships out of leftover computer packing foam and foam bought at Walmart for $7 for 576 cubic inches. With a bit of craft glue, scissors, an Xacto knife, and some patience, you can make a foam home for any miniature.

Foam at Walmart?  Was it soft foam?  Like a sponge?  Or was it hard foam that you then cut up? 

Anyone know where to get cheap foam?

I'm not sure how cheap it is for just a one-time use, I've been buying quite a lot to make custom foam for decades worth of miniature collecting, but

http://www.thefoamfactory.com/

You'd probably want open cell charcoal regular, that is basically the type used for miniature trays.

Other possible sources of foam would be foam mattresses or pillows, foam strips meant to be placed around in-window air conditioners, gun cases

In case anyone is interested, I think I found the cheapest solution.  It's a bed topper that is egg crate like.  You know, with the dips and bumps that can hold an egg?  The thickness varies between 1.5" and 3", but the other dimensions are 72" x 50" !!!

All for just under $10 at Wal-mart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-1.25-Convoluted-Foam-Topper-Twin/10055840#about

I can put a layer on the bottom of my box, another on top that gets cut to the size of the ships.  Then, a third to go on top.  I should be able to put all my Epic ships on one layer and still have a ton of room! 

Thanks everyone!