Sign in to follow this  
zlynn22

Guidance Chips - Losing Faith in FFG

Hello community.

I am a casual player who owns a lot of stuff.  I don't like to buy into all of the FFG doom and greed hype, but recently the Inquisitor preview went up and it really irked me. 

In it we get a modification card that costs 0 squad points.  Losing only the option of taking a different modification, this guidance chips mod adds a hit to all missile and torp attacks, or a crit if your primary is 3 or higher.  Ok cool!  Sounds like a neat fix.

Except...

It's not ship specific.  It costs 0 which means they're acknowledging they messed up ordnance (ok we all know that they know it, but still).  So WHY NOT MAKE IT A RULE?  Why force me to buy multiple copies of some goofy-looking pretend TIE Fighter from a show geared towards kids, invented when I was an adult... Even if you love the show, I still stand by my point.  I have to buy copies of this ridiculous ship to "fix" ordnance that has been broken for SEVEN WAVES NOW?   Trust me, I have too many proton torpedoes to count.

Why not simply make it a rule that all missiles and torps get this extra damage, UNLESS a ship has a modification equipped? 

I've heard the bit about not wanting to change rules.  That's crazy because there's a dozen new FAQ adjustments every few months.  People care about this game enough to keep up with the rules.

Again, I don't want to lose all faith, but this is taking me many steps towards the dark side.  I have spent a lot of money on these plastic space ships, but if FFG keeps doing stuff like this, that money may dry up.  Just my two cents / thousand dollars.

What say the people?

Losing the mod slot is definitely a price consideration.  It's a hotly contested space, with a number of good candidates vying for use there.  Also, there are other possible ordnance mods that could be used there.  Do you use Munitions Failsafe to keep from losing that 4 point torp unless it hits, do you use Long Range Scanners to make sure you have the locks for your alpha strike?  Do you use Munitions Chips to try to hit as hard as you can?  Basically they're letting us, the players, decide how we want to handle it, and I'm ok with that.

As I said, write into the rule that you forego the bonus if you take a mod.

The basic game is pretty simple. You want to make it needlessly complex. 

Simple would be to make the rule about ordnance correct in the first place.  I think by and large they have made a great game, however, and I understand it's too late for that.  Simple would then be make a blanket statement admitting the unforeseen error and trying to correct it with a rule, as they have done with countless FAQ's.  In my mind needlessly complex is the purchase and organization of numerous expansions that I don't particularly want, all in order to fix the original unforeseen error that affects the many, many ships I already have.

You don't seem to understand what the FAQ does, do you? It hasn't established new rules, but clarifies the existing rules and interactions that cannot all be covered in the base rules. Even in a game as simple as this, you get interactions that need clarification. 

Errata is a different matter. 

On the casual level, there's also no reason you can't use the rule you suggest. It's a zero point upgrade, so proxy it to your heart's content. It's not until you get to the competitive level that you'd really need this card, and then only if you're planning an ordnance build.

You don't seem to understand what the FAQ does, do you? It hasn't established new rules, but clarifies the existing rules and interactions that cannot all be covered in the base rules. Even in a game as simple as this, you get interactions that need clarification. 

Errata is a different matter. 

Understood - I acknowledge that FAQ is a bit different and I'm using it rather recklessly as a blanket term.  But yes it is significant that it doesn't establish new rules.  However, my point is that competitive players are willing to keep up with what seems like a mind-numbing number of adjustments, so the sheer change alone should be acceptable.

I presonally prefer Most Recent Printing rules for cards. But I also know that once you have adopted a system like FFG's no updated cards rules (which was made so older players would always have up to date cards) the worst thing you can do it is to change it. It pisses your early adopters off and it doesn't necessarily attract new players.

Edited by Hantheman

If you're a casual player, just proxy it. No problem.

GET 'EM!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ZOING!!!

:D :D :D

Is it so wrong to like to have stuff?  I like to have the stuff.  The real stuff.

You can have everything you can afford but don't come on here zap zap zap'n at FFG and getting religious about your faith in 'em.

;)

As I said, write into the rule that you forego the bonus if you take a mod.

What a weird, rando rule. It's easier for everyone to just have a card.

How is that easier?  You have to pay for that.  A rule just happens - FFG does the work, everyone else sits back.