Sign in to follow this  
SHADOWGUARD CHAMPION

So Force Lighting, any ideas?

Force lightinging is the dark side mastery upgrade for the Protect/unleash power. It requires FR 3+  to get it though

I know the flavour text describes Mastery as "the dreaded Force Lightning" but to be honest I consider any level of Unleash to be some form of Force Lightning.  But it's definitely a power for masters of the dark side requiring Force Rating 3+ to even buy the basic power. 

Force lightinging is the dark side mastery upgrade for the Protect/unleash power. It requires FR 3+  to get it though

I know the flavour text describes Mastery as "the dreaded Force Lightning" but to be honest I consider any level of Unleash to be some form of Force Lightning.  But it's definitely a power for masters of the dark side requiring Force Rating 3+ to even buy the basic power. 

Good interpratation of the power, i agree every unleash is a force lightning, and yo ucan modulate the intesity with the upgrades, kinda like the Emperor does in RotJ

Yeah the unleash force power is what you are looking for. I like to think that the unleash power is force magical looking attack, whether it's the sith's force lightning or the nightsisters's green orb thingy or whatever else you want to be.

Unleash is the power for you. That crit 1 rating combined with a good Discipline can easily result in +20 to +40 rolls on the crit table. If the target is already suffering from crits then it can be deviation for them. Grab a couple of strength upgrades and the damage output alone can be enough. Willpower + 4 + Successes for only 3 force pips when you already have a FR of 3 is bonkers.

One of my players is  a dark side user with the rebellion. and he wants force lighting, for now i just told him to use the harm power, he agreed but wants a custom force power or add-on for it.

You could let him buy the flashlight for 25 credits and put a red lens on it as a custom attachment.

Harm is not force choke, Bind is force choke. 

I read again both powers and you are correct.

I wonder what power could Harm represent then.

Essentially force drain, which appears fairly frequently in games. You're basically just sucking the life force out with the base power, but the right-side Control and Mastery upgrades let you bring the life force into yourself (or somebody else) and turns it into what it more traditionally does in games.

Edited by Lathrop

One of my players is a dark side user with the rebellion.

Am I the only one who did a triple-take on this line?

Why would this be a problem, there may well be people of a dark persuasion who hate the Empire enough to join the Rebellion, I see no problem with it at all.

To be fair, my main character, Tobin Stryder, is an apprentice to a Sith artefact he found in a temple (unrelated to the sith where his master had died, crushed under a door of all things) about two years ago in game. That being said, just about the only things he's inherited from it is a understanding of the force and the ideology of self superiority, he's neutral (because though master is wise, he's been out of touch from the galaxy for lord knows how many years thus takes guidance with a pinch of stardust) and the vast distrust of the Jedi is largely due to a series of unpleasant circumstances where he was slighted by one, twice over the jewel of yavin. So he has a balanced perspective as he is 100% aboard with the alliance as his survival is directly linked to their success, and that their success will eventually put him in a position of power to make the galaxy right again.

It's not so much that he want's to create a new empire, but rather he believes only force users have the capability to act as the universes mediators. We are in touch with the force for good reason. Quite how corrupt this orignal idea will end up by it's campaigns end will be interesting to behold. XD

Even with this background, that player reeks of munchkinism. Anyone who asks for force lightning (or force powers with free-bees, because evil) isn't ready for the dark side. Perhaps I've come off a bit harsh, but I've dealt with enough chaotic evil characters to loathe their existence as a party disrupter.

Edited by Lordbiscuit

Okay lets review

Move = Throwing Star Destroyers at people also good for Force Push

Unleash = Force Lightning and Force Shield/Absorb Energy

Harm = Sucking the life out of people

Bind = Force Choke/ Force Crush + That thing the Poseur Vader does a lot.

I don't have any problem with it.  There are a multitude of reasons why a "dark side user" could be opposed to the Empire, or to Darth Sidious personally.

I don't have any problem with it.  There are a multitude of reasons why a "dark side user" could be opposed to the Empire, or to Darth Sidious personally.

Yeah.  After all, from Legends we have Galen "Starkiller" Marek who was pretty much a dark sider for the bulk of the Force Unleashed game, who really only "redeemed" himself at the very end with his (then canonical) sacrifice to save Juno and the others.

As noted, you could have a dark sider that is assisting the Rebellion out of the idea of "the enemy of my enemy is my ally" mindset.  After all, dark side does not automatically equate to Sith, so they might have a less psychotic take on things and not be a cackling mad looney.  Heck, there are probably mundane members of the Rebellion that agree with the idea of having an Empire to ensure a safe and secure galaxy, they just don't think it should be Palpatine and Vader running the show, and that a more level-headed and sane person should be in the top spot.

Edit: Or, to take a note from a friend's Saga Edition Star Wars game, you could have a dark sider that was trained in the Sith methods and sees Palpatine and Vader as usurpers that need to be cast down, or at the very least sees them as very poor inheritors of the Sith legacy given one is a feeble old man and the other is a cripple kept alive solely through technology.  Of course, said "Sith acolyte" will probably choose to keep their allegiance to the dark side to themselves, or pretend to be a part of a Jedi offshoot branch (such things did exist in Legends, even during the Clone Wars) that held somewhat "different" views on the Force than the more traditional sect that the galaxy is familiar with.

Edited by Donovan Morningfire

Harm is not force choke, Bind is force choke. 

I read again both powers and you are correct.

I wonder what power could Harm represent then.

Essentially force drain, which appears fairly frequently in games. You're basically just sucking the life force out with the base power, but the right-side Control and Mastery upgrades let you bring the life force into yourself (or somebody else) and turns it into what it more traditionally does in games.

Awesome! Great pic!