Sign in to follow this  
ObiWonka

How to be PS 5 or 6

There are a lot of cool pilot abilities out there that get ignored because the accompanying pilot skill isn't seen as "good enough" for the supposed meta. I'm talking about the no-being's land of PS5-6. Yes, there are some pilots that get used, but far more that stay in the box. For the purposes of this article, I'm ignoring PS7+ because they do get used more often, especially in conjunction with VI for that PS9+ "sweet spot". (There are a couple PS3-4 pilots as well, which I may come back and add later, or feel free to add your own thoughts on those, too.)

I want to take a brief look at whether or not you can expect anything special out of these pilots against both higher PS opponents and lower (though most of the advantages against lower PS ships apply to everyone equally). I've also added some commentary on other things to think about when trying one of these ships in your list. If I've forgotten anything or you think of something I didn't, add your thoughts to this thread!

First up, the Imperials.

Commander Kenkirk (Decimator)
Against higher PS: No special interaction, really.
Against lower PS: No special interaction, really.
Other reasons to fly: Achieves Fat Han-like levels of damage mitigation with Emperor Palpatine and Ysanne Isard. Throw in Predator and take a Focus every round for excellent offense as well.

Krassis Trelix (Firespray)
Against higher PS: No special interactions, really.
Against lower PS: No special interactions, really.
Other reasons to fly: With an HLC and a Focus action, you get 4 dice at any range, deny range 3 defense bonuses, and have Focus and a re-roll. Alternatively, Slave-I title, Extra Munitions, Guidance Chip, and Concussion Missiles gives you two shots with the same Focus and re-roll, but additionally turns a blank into a [hit] and another die into a [crit] each time, all for a point cheaper than the cannon-carrying version.

Colonel Vessery (Defender)
Other reasons to fly: With the TIE/D title, you'll have two attacks each turn with Target Locks for both if you can set one up with another ship, not to mention what you do with your EPT and action. With the TIE/x7 title, you'll have Target Lock, Evade, and Focus each round assuming you take the latter action after a 3- to 5-speed move. Again, your EPT is icing.

"Echo" (Phantom)
Against lower PS: Block with decloak!
Other reasons to fly: With just the Mod, EPT, Crew, and Sensor slots, there are many, many ways to outfit a Phantom. With her special maneuvering "Echo" is a candidate for Outmaneuver (aka Perma-Crack Shot), and Agent Kallus can do mean things against lists with low ship-counts.

Colonel Jendon (Shuttle)
Against higher PS: Flying his trusty ST-321, and especially with a Weapons Engineer on board (and maybe even Fire-Control Systems), he helps alleviate Target Lock-acquiring for low PS ordnance-carriers. With Long Range Scanners on the horizon, you may think this use is obsolete. However, Jendon can be used repeatedly more easily and as your set-up man keeps other ships' Mod slot open for the even shinier Guidance Chimps.
Other reasons to fly: See Against higher PS.

"Deathrain" (Punisher)
Against higher PS: Cluster Mines, Proximity Mines, and especially Conner Nets are incredibly mean, and almost no one can place them on point like "Deathrain" (especially with Advanced Sensors).
Against lower PS: Ion Bombs, Seismic Charges, and Proton Bombs do the trick here.
Other reasons to fly: "Deathrain" has tools for enemies of any PS. Consider also as a pilot to blow some dust off your Enhanced Scopes, ensuring no enemies can disrupt your tricks.

Kir Kanos (Interceptor)
Against higher PS: You'll have an Evade token banked; if unused, you suddenly have a [hit] token banked for the return shot.
Against lower PS: You have a [hit] token.
Other reasons to fly: Consider outside sources like Fleet Officer or Emperor Palpatine as sources of extra tokens/results.

"Fel's Wrath" (Interceptor)
Against higher PS: Joust like a madman. What are they going to do, shoot you? That's fine; shoot 'em back! And if they ignore you, continue making a nuisance of yourself.
Against lower PS: Squints can be fairly dodgy.
Other reasons to fly: See Kir Kanos.

Lieutenant Lorir (Interceptor)
Against higher PS: More blocking options than many other ships.
Against lower PS: More dodging options than many other ships.
Other reasons to fly: See Kir Kanos.

Captain Jonus (Bomber)
Other reasons to fly: It's pretty obvious why you run CJ. Consider putting him in a shiny new TIE Shuttle with a Fleet Officer for extra bonus-supplying goodness. Just don't forget to paint over the giant target on your ship.

"Epsilon Leader" (TIE/fo)
Other reasons to fly: Useful with a swarm to keep dials open, or with a parking lot full of Shuttles.

"Zeta Ace" (TIE/fo)
Against higher PS: Like Lorrir, lots of blocking opportunities.
Against lower PS: Like Lorrir, lost of dodging opportunities.
Other reasons to fly: Try PtL and Engine Upgrade for a 135 degree rotation!

"Backstabber" (TIE)
Other reasons to fly: He stabs people. In the back. (Cheap flanking!)

"Dark Curse" (TIE)
Other reasons to fly: Got friends you don't want any more? Give DC a Stealth Device, take defensive actions, and annoy them until they leave you forever!

"Night Beast" (TIE)
Other reasons to fly: Twin Ion Engine Mk. II may only add 2 green maneuvers, but that gives him a total of 6 which allow him to double-up defensively with Focus & Evade, or frees him up for a Barrel Roll.

"Winged Gundark" (TIE)
Against higher PS: Aim for a block; if you miss, hopefully you'll end up in range 1 for some sweet [crit] action.
Against lower PS: Aim for range 1 for some sweet [crit] action.
Other reasons to fly: You like [crits]? Pair with Maarek Stele and Rexlar Brath, or Advanced Homing Missiles and Proton Bombs, for lots of face-up cards.

"Youngster" (TIE)
Other reasons to fly: Now, with higher PS allies, who often can take EPTs, giving them PtL and "Yougnster" an "Action:" EPT can add more options (like chaining Squad Leader across multiple ships).

Thanks for reading, and look for Rebels and Scum soon!

Rebels here!
Scum here!
Edited by ObiWonka

Flying a lot of these guys is basically how I have my fun. I've made posts about my exploits and ideas revolving around folks like Kir Kanos and Graz the Hunter. Heck, I flew Lt. Lorrir in my second tournament! Probably bringing Blue Ace to the next.

But keep it up: always enjoy seeing unloved pilots get their due.

"Echo" (Phantom)

Srsly?

I know you state there are 'loads of builds' but If you're running anything reliable; Higher PS will end you.

Was about to say the same. Should be:

Against higher PS: You die.

Nobody with higher PS will let a Phantom live.

Edited by Wildhorn

"Echo" (Phantom)

Srsly?

I know you state there are 'loads of builds' but If you're running anything reliable; Higher PS will end you.

That's not a special interaction, that's what high PS pilots do. Now if you have an Intel Agent aboard... ;)

Echo is a highly skill dependent pilot, relying entirely on your visualization and predictive skills. Properly utilized, PS is irrelevant, because your opponent can't shoot at you because Echo decloaked to a place your opponent can't get arc to. The problem? Most people, including me, aren't good enough to put that into practice. Also, Han and VI Chiraneau ruin Echo since they don't care about all that fancy decloaking.

Edited by Squark

"Echo" (Phantom)

Srsly?

That's not a special interaction, that's what high PS pilots do. Now if you have an Intel Agent aboard... ;)

Well it kind of is as Phantoms suffer worse then all other ships when shooting second. Not being able to recloak before being shot at sucks for them.

Well it kind of is as Phantoms suffer worse then all other ships when shooting second. Not being able to recloak before being shot at sucks for them.

Stygium Particle Accelerator also exists. If you can't re-cloak, you'll at least have an Evade token (which may be better than 2 defense dice anyway). There is of course the downside of not doing decloaking shenanigans every turn, but you also save 2 points.

The mid tier aces have specialized roles, and are quite good behind the hands of a player that's good at predicting opponents movement and understanding future turns.

Mid P.S. Aces generally have lower costs than the aces especially as they need not be outfitted with lots of upgrades, and can handle the generic pilots, while being blockers v.s. aces. Additionally, they often have "Academy pilot" syndrome.  (Think of it as an inverse Biggs syndrome)  - They often take a lower spot on the targeting priority list, and can be flown more aggressively than you would fly Soontir - don't just feed them to the opponent though.

This means - a lot of times, you can trade your Ace for the opponents Ace if you have to, and you've got ships that can do well in the endgame.

This is something I've been compiling, so I'll share.

Numerical break down of by PS: (Includes Wave 1-7 + Wave TFA)

Scum (Scum uniques)/Rebel (Rebel uniques)/Imperial (Imperial uniques)

PS1:   3(0)/3(0)/4(0)

PS2:   3(0)/8(0)/4(0)

PS3:   2(1)/2(2)/7(3)

PS4:   1(0)/6(1)/9(3)

PS5:   3(4)/0(9)/1(8)

PS6:   0(9)/0(7)/1(12)

PS7:   0(6)/0(6)/0(11)

PS8:   0(2)/0(10)/0(8)

PS9:   0(2)/0(2)/0(2)

Interesting notes: Only Imps and Scum have PS5/6 non unique pilots. Only Imps have nonunique PS6 pilots.

PS5 Pilots (Wave 1-8 + Imp Vets)

Imps (E mean that this pilot has an EPT ugrade slot):

Firespray-31: •Krassis Trelix
TIE Adv. Prototype [E]: •Valen Rudor
TIE Advanced [E]: •Commander Alozen
TIE Bomber [E]: Gamma Squadron Veteran
TIE Fighter: •"Night Beast"
TIE Fighter: •"Winged Gundark"
TIE/fo Fighter [E]: •"Zeta Ace"
TIE Interceptor: •"Fel's Wrath"
TIE Interceptor: •Lieutenant Lorrir
TIE Phantom: Shadow Squadron Pilot

Rebels (E mean that this pilot has an EPT ugrade slot):
A-Wing: •Gemmer Sojan
Attack Shuttle [E]: •Sabine Wren
B-Wing [E]: •Nera Dantels
E-Wing [E]: •Etahn A'baht
T-70 X-Wing: •"Blue Ace"
T-70 X-Wing: •"Red Ace"
VCX-100: •Kanan Jarrus
X-Wing: •Biggs Darklighter
X-Wing: •Hobbie Klivian
YT-1300 [E]: •Chewbacca
YT-2400 [E]: •"Leebo"

Scum (E mean that this pilot has an EPT ugrade slot):

Firespray-31 [E]: Mandalorian Mercenary
G-1A Starfighter [?]: ?
HWK-290 [E]: •Palob Godalhi
Kihraxz Fighter: [E] Black Sun Ace
M3-A Interceptor [E]: Tansarii Point Pilot
StarViper [E]: •Guri
Y-Wing: •Drea Renthal
YV-666: •Latts Razzi
Z-95 Headhunter [E]: •Kaa'to Leeachos

PS6 Pilots (Wave 1-8 + Imp Vets)

Imps (E mean that this pilot has an EPT ugrade slot):

Lambda-class Shuttle: •Colonel Jendon
TIE Advanced [E]: •Zertik Strom
TIE Bomber [E]: •Captain Jonus
TIE Defender [E]: Glaive Squadron...
TIE Defender [E]: •Colonel Vessery
TIE Fighter [E]: •"Youngster"
TIE Fighter: •"Backstabber"
TIE Fighter: •"Dark Curse"
TIE/fo Fighter: •"Epsilon Leader"
TIE Interceptor [E]: Royal Guard Pilot
TIE Interceptor: •Kir Kanos
TIE Phantom [E]: •"Echo"
TIE Punisher: •"Deathrain"
VT-49 Decimator [E]: •Commander Kenkirk

Rebels (E mean that this pilot has an EPT ugrade slot):
A-Wing: •Arvel Crynyd
B-Wing [E]: •Ibtisam
HWK-290 [E]: •Kyle Katarn
K-Wing: •Esege Tuketu
X-Wing: •Garven Dreis
Y-Wing: •"Dutch" Vander
Z-95 Headhunter [E]: •Lieutenant Blount

Scum (E mean that this pilot has an EPT ugrade slot):
Aggressor [E]: •IG-88A 
Aggressor [E]: •IG-88B
Aggressor [E]: •IG-88C 
Aggressor [E]: •IG-88D 
Firespray-31: •Emon Azzameen
G-1A Starfighter [E]: •4-LOM
Kihraxz Fighter: •Graz The Hunter
M3-A Interceptor: •Laetin A'Shera
YV-666: •Moralo Eval
Edited by Hantheman

it has nothing to do with their PS. As long as aggressors and crackswarm exist, PS 5 or 6 is relevant.

most of these guys don't get played because their abilities are garbage or their abilities are fine and they lack the ept (poor kanos)

very few, such as Vessery, Guri or Echo (and deathrain because he's so unique) break the mold

the named Ties (both variants) are big exceptions (not counting Gundark or Youngster), mostly thanks to how cheap they are relative to other pilots. In regards to FOs, though, I have to say Zeta L and Omega L are by far the most impactful named pilots because they easily overcome the traditional weakness V high agility. It's not that the lower PS are bad (Though Omega A is decidedly unimpressive), they're just not as powerful ito pilot ability

recent releases havn't helped alleviate this trend, as Graz is pure ****, none of the named YVs are worth using, and Esege is just utterly overpriced

the Ghost debunks the trend, though, with Chopper and Kanan having some very influential abilities

the Inq Tie keeps right on chugging with it, albeit only because the Inquisitor is just too good. Rudor seems a solid pilot with a great ability; it's just that the Inquisitor's ability is absolutely ridiculous

Edited by ficklegreendice

it has nothing to do with their PS. As long as aggressors and crackswarm exist, PS 5 or 6 is relevant.

most of these guys don't get played because their abilities are garbage or their abilities are fine and they lack the ept (poor kanos)

very few, such as Vessery, Guri or Echo (and deathrain because he's so unique) break the mold

the named Ties (both variants) are big exceptions (not counting Gundark or Youngster), mostly thanks to how cheap they are relative to other pilots. In regards to FOs, though, I have to say Zeta L and Omega L are by far the most impactful named pilots because they easily overcome the traditional weakness V high agility. It's not that the lower PS are bad (Though Omega A is decidedly unimpressive), they're just not as powerful ito pilot ability

recent releases havn't helped alleviate this trend, as Graz is pure ****, none of the named YVs are worth using, and Esege is just utterly overpriced

the Ghost debunks the trend, though, with Chopper and Kanan having some very influential abilities

the Inq Tie keeps right on chugging with it, albeit only because the Inquisitor is just too good. Rudor seems a solid pilot with a great ability; it's just that the Inquisitor's ability is absolutely ridiculous

This is one of the flaws of the game that has been there since it's inception. High PS in itself is already an ability - therefore the most game changing abilites should have been on low PS pilots, while situational abilites should have been on high PS pilots. 

Oh well.

I love this! My new years resolution for x wing is to fly every single pilot for rebels and imperials. I am really excited to run a 4 interceptor squad of random dudes just to be silly. 

To me, a solid PS 5-6 pilot needs to be able to reposition. when fighting aces this allows you to block better, and when fighting plebs this allows you to arc dodge.

Some of these pilots are ignored because they suck, not because they're pilot skill is too low. Fel's Wrath for example. Jonus will probably see a lot of play once Guidance Chips are out. Winged Gundark and a couple of the Interceptors are uncommon simply because there are much better choices for very similar costs. Still, good to see a list that acknowledges that an ability is still useful even if the pilot skill isn't really high or down in the budget area.

Edited by Hockeyzombie

I still don't think PTL would be enough to help Kanos- I'm not convinced one focus token for defense would be enough for him.

Fly better, really. 4 green dice (with SD), Autothrusters and an Evade token and he is not a pretty target. 

That's usually the whole deal with the midrange PS pilots: the planning phase becomes even more important. 

SOME pilots just ride ships that MUST be higher PS than the foe (Arcdodgers, Phantoms)

plus to that in most cases the best ability goes to the highest PS, so he becomes an auto-include.

If Horn was PS5 but with all the double-shot goodness, would we see him? not really.

If Fel had epic PS9 but a sh*tty ability would we see him? Definitely not in every list "What 65 points will accompany Fel today?"

and some just suck. 

Nothing, or no-one, is an autoinclude.

Boostless PWTs, PTL-less Interceptors, non-VI+Advstealth Whispers... should I continue?

Some things feel made for a ship and\or pilot.

Others, like IG-88B are meant to take some upgrades.

There are auto-includes. That's the competitive gaming.

SOME pilots just ride ships that MUST be higher PS than the foe (Arcdodgers, Phantoms)

I strongly disagree with this statement.

Arc-dodging can be done at lower P.S. and ACD does not need to activate first to be great. It's a whole lot easier if you have perfect knowledge of where your opponent is when you barrel and boost, but with a bit of forethought and a good read on your opponent and the board state, you can do this before they move, you can even position to places where other arc dodgers are unlikely to even be able to get a shot back at you.

Sure, You lose out on the defense bonus from ACD if you're not cloaking before other ships - but the positional bonus can make the defense bonus moot. Sigma + ACD is a strong ship for that reason - It's perfectly happy firing later in the game. Shadow Phantom + ACD + Sensor Jammer are one of the best anti TLT ships you can get, they don't shoot before Poe, but they don't need to.

What about Whisper? Well, Whisper enjoys having the extra focus token for defense - with or without cloaking - her ability is useless if you're not shooting before something. In her case, it's more important not to shoot last than it is to shoot, first - but if she can't be shot, she doesn't even need her focus token.

A lot of the P.S. bid can sometimes be a crutch. It's not necessary to win - and it's not the only way to fly.