Sign in to follow this  
chriscook

Fireball counter

Ok, who has game experience going against the Rymer or fireball.  I have only play tested  my rebel version of a screen to this.  I am looking for the min amount of fighters to take these buggers on.  I am thinking 3 xwings   2 yt24s  and Jan,  only problem is I think without a few more squads - yes I will keep them off my ships,but....  i am also giving my enemy about 85 free point cause they will all go down.  What do you guys think?

Depends on what's in the Fireball...

If its just Dengar, then I've had success with 1 X-Wing + Wedge.  Trashed Dengar, and then made the enemy kill Wedge and the X-Wing...  Took two turns, but that let me bomb with impunity in the off times.

I am also giving my enemy about 85 free point cause they will all go down.  What do you guys think?

Think about what you're actually up against.  An X-Wing or YT-2400 is a superior dogfighter to a Firespray, for fewer points.  You aren't throwing away 85 points, you're using it to tie up an equal value or more of the enemy's ships in an engagement favorable to you.  If you're willing to actually use Squadron commands to get the initial strike in, that fighter wing will chew up pretty much anything.  Adar Tallon will help you get use out of Rogue as well.

It depends on whether you are trying to kill or just delay the Fireball. If you are going for the delay tactic you need to have a list that can really punish your opponent for the two turns you slogged down his bombers. Personally my lists feel really naked without at least 85 points of squads.

Ok, who has game experience going against the Rymer or fireball.  I have only play tested  my rebel version of a screen to this.  I am looking for the min amount of fighters to take these buggers on.  I am thinking 3 xwings   2 yt24s  and Jan,  only problem is I think without a few more squads - yes I will keep them off my ships,but....  i am also giving my enemy about 85 free point cause they will all go down.  What do you guys think?

If they kill 85 points, then the Fireball isn't doing their primary function of bombing ships. I do not recommend actually trying to kill a Fireball. You're much better off going for an alpha strike targeting Dengar. Once he's down, you can simply tie up the Fireball. Jan and 3 X-Wings is going to take a good while to chew through.

Yeah, like others have said, if you can stop Dengar from moving around and bombing your ships, you have succeeded.

So your target priority should be: Kill Dengar, or kill the Advanced guarding Dengar, then kill Dengar, or at least kill the Firesprays or Rhymer, whoever you can reach.  Rhymer is a good kill if exposed because once you've decreased their range back down to distance-1 vs. medium range, you'll have a much better chance with the rest of your fleet.

For me, I like using YT-2400s.  They throw 4 dice and move-4, so they can reach out and do a much better alpha than A-Wings IMO.  Their counter is largely ignored by Fireball players because they just ignore them while continue to bomb your ship.

Edited by HERO

Rhymer, Dendar an Advanced and 3+ firesprays. It can inflict a lot of damage on ships really quickly. I stripped most of the shields off of the from and side of an AF last night in the first round with a similar list because rogue lets you close and shoot in the squadron phase. It can be really deadly if you don't know how to play against it.