Sign in to follow this  
GM Hooly

[Game Experiences]: Bluff the Hutt

Hey Gang,

I've seen some crazy stuff in my past, but tonight, my players came up with the idea of attempting to pull the wool over the eyes of a Hutt named Treska that they have been "working" for since the start of the campaign. They recently learned that Treska was just sending them out to get stuff done, knowing full well that if they got killed, it wouldn't matter to her.

Well it was a group decision to bluff the Hutt, and they'd spent a good 15 minutes planning what they were going to tell her.

The main character doing the talking (Deception - 2Y2G) was the Smuggler. I allowed:

• Performer in the group to give some "acting tips" to the smuggler and thereby allowing a combined effort with the performer's (Charm - 3Y1G).
  • A boost because the evidence they presented appeared to back up their story.
  • A boost for good role playing and working as a team - that's always worth one.
  • A boost from the Mechanic/Slicer who was able to present some nice holo-vids explaining what information they found
  • A boost for some "moral" support from the Jedi in the group who offered some meditation techniques - she is the smuggler's sister after all.
  • There was a Destiny point spent for an an upgrade - it was an important call.

That's 4Y4B. "A flawless plan", they said. "How hard could it be?" retorted another. "What's the difficulty Mr GM"?

The difficulty was 6C1D (I used the standard Hutt Crimelord). I decided to upgrade the difficulty with a Destiny point. Nothing gets past Treska - EVER! I allowed the Performer to spend a point of Strain to downgrade the check once eliminating my upgrade. "We are so going to fail, but we're here now", was one comment from the table.

The players collectively gulped as the dice hit the table. Painstaking time was spent calculating the dice by all the players, as they leaned over the dice tray.

The result: 1 single success. I rarely get a cheer of triumph from the whole table, but that's what happened.

Its times like these I love this system.

Edited by GM Hooly

Great story and it really captures the essence of the game wherre a single success can sometimes make it or break it. And yes the yellow text is hurting my eyes and really diffcult to see, unless yo uuse the old FFG theme with a dark background. 

IMO, the important thing here is what happened AFTER the success?

What did the GM say? ;)

I suspect it was something like "mwah fthaj oo at??" on account of their jaw being detached and lying on the floor somewhere.

We're probably lucky he didn't summon Cthulhu.

Well it was the end of the session. Needless to say though, that the Hutt took the information that they presented as it was, and on face value. She even reduced part of their Obligation because of what they did bring her, which was part of what she was looking for. She has even changed her mind (and verbalised as much), in that she now believes that it may be worth keeping them around.