Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GreenLantern1138

T-65 Fix?

483 posts in this topic

Imperial Veterans gave us 2 different titles to take the Defender in 2 different play directions. I'd like to see the same for X-Wings-

T-65C-A4: 1 point. Your range 1 combat bonus extends to range 1-2, but at range 3 you roll one less red die. You may treat the 3 bank as a red segnors loop of the same direction.

T-65D: 0 points, replace your astromech slot with a system slot

So you make it a choice:

Either you can choose to take a -1 refit that takes up the droid slot making rookies the same price as a Ktyxvcctyx (5 naked rookies at 20 points matches up well against 5 kytchxvcts).

Or

You can choose to use the droid slot + IA which we have now, plus there should be a title which drops the cost of droids by -1. So still no more than 4x 21 point rookies with 1 point droids and IA in 100, but with more room for other stuff. 16 pts gets you a bandit with concussion missile and guidance chimps for example. Its only a slight boost to what you can get now. But it opens the options out from what exists. It also still balances out better against 5x Khxvtvzxz

Edited by phocion

So only the Khiraxz can fly 5 ships with 3 attack?

I understand that you don't want to see the X-Wing become overpowered, and I don't think that would be very cool either, but from the sounds of it, a lot of people want more than just IA. 

Now, you are right Warpman, too much of a fix and you negatively impact the whole game, but if FFG doesn't do enough to fix the problem, then it only becomes worse.  Simply slapping a mod on your X-Wing isn't enough.  The A-Wing was found to be lacking at 17 points, and they gave us CR, now it's a great option. 

If we got a refit for the X-Wing, or a Astro discounting title, then you could take the IA + Astro for cheaper.  You might not be able to fit five Xs' into the list anyways, and if you do, well then you're stuck with 1 pointers. 

I'm sure X-Wing formations becoming a meta would probably put smiles on a lot of faces.  Should those formations be game breaking?  Heck no.  And I guess this is why we have a 10 pager on something we almost Skubbed out.

Interceptors laugh hard. 

Scyks with manglers keep sobbing in the corner labeled "Don't take if you want a chance to win"

Sure, sure, the only

People want it to be equally a spam-list and an ace list, hence "add boost, give shield, reduce price, free astros"

Can't rest arse on two thrones you know...

A-wing at 17 points was too expensive for Blocking duty. X wing has 3 attacks and definitely isn't such a ship.

CR came exactly the same moment when PWTs began their march onto the tables.

You can't fix a ship overpowered too easily. it took an ability card nerf to bring Whisper into line, it took TLT to end the reign of PWTerror

The point is: if you want to bump some particular ship to the top-tier tournament level, you must do so with every ship out there. It's impossible to bring jousters into top-tier right now. It will take complete and utter CHEESE to bring a jouster into the top-tier.

As already said a page before, the top-16 cut at worlds had little to none vanila generic pilots.

Aces and TLTs.

65 is a definition of Skubfighter.

and gunboat has 60 point hype thread of praise and prayers... doesn't sound likely in both cases.

Must wait for the meta to shift back. The last jousters alive are IG-2000s because you don't leave the house without an autothruster slapped onto your back and a PS over 2 not to get munched by TLTs.

you still get owned by PS8+ though. And only by the blessing of stressdroid can you hope not to die to them.

sucks to be scum, right

as a Ktyxvcctyx (5 naked rookies at 20 points matches up well against 5 kytchxvcts).

hypocrisy-mete.jpg

Edited by Warpman

I'd prefer something more interesting in Rebel Veterans than a point reduction, but meh.

We'll see what we get when Rebel Veterans drops. It'll be fun to rub it in the faces of the whiny Imperial crybabies though.

phocion likes this

I'm sure X-Wing formations becoming a meta would probably put smiles on a lot of faces.  Should those formations be game breaking?  Heck no.  And I guess this is why we have a 10 pager on something we almost Skubbed out.

I did promise myself that I wasnt going to do any skub jokes, but WTH!

If you skub this thread down, it will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine! :P

as a Ktyxvcctyx (5 naked rookies at 20 points matches up well against 5 kytchxvcts).

hypocrisy-mete.jpg

Reeeaaally?

Care to explain how saying 5 rookies at -1 point without access to the droid (and therefore their 'fix' in IA) is a good match for 5 basic Kycxvztx, is somehow hypocrisy? Are you just at this point trolling? Or are you like the proverbial monkey at the keyboard bashing away at random keys until something resembling an argument occurs?

The Kyyxtzvc is a good jouster. I have 5 and I think they're great for the points. And for the points a cartel marauder is almost identical to the rookie T-65. I have said several times before I think the Kytctahcx points was as good an argument that the X was overcosted as you will ever see given how close they are in design.

Differences? Only in dial and in the fact that 5 more total HP in the rookies is in shields not hull. A very minor boost in durability IF crits occur in the very first shots and IF not enough damage is done at the same time to soak the shield so the crit comes through (point T-65).

Dial? The K has more flexibility in K turns making it harder to block and more flexible in the joust (point Kytchxvcts) but lacks the slow 1 forward of the X (point T-65). The X has hard 3s, while the Kytctzvsc has hard 1s, which can be far more powerful for keeping a target in arc. (Overall a wash, with slight advantage to the Kyttcvxvsauehrvx because the maneuver persists, where shields do not).

So again how is comparing two of the most similar ships in the game (one of which has been overcosted at its basic configuration since wave 1) at a similar points cost hypocrisy?

Edited by phocion

hypocrisy-mete.jpg

Reeeaaally?

Care to explain how saying 5 rookies at -1 point without access to the droid (and therefore their 'fix' in IA) is a good match for 5 basic Kycxvztx, is somehow hypocrisy? Are you just at this point trolling? Or are you like the proverbial monkey at the keyboard bashing away at random keys until something resembling an argument occurs?

The Kyyxtzvc is a good jouster. I have 5 and I think they're great for the points. And for the points a cartel marauder is almost identical to the rookie T-65. I have said several times before I think the Kytctahcx points was as good an argument that the X was overcosted as you will ever see given how close they are in design.

Differences? Only in dial and in the fact that 5 more total HP in the rookies is in shields not hull. A very minor boost in durability IF crits occur in the very first shots and IF not enough damage is done at the same time to soak the shield so the crit comes through (point T-65).

Dial? The K has more flexibility in K turns making it harder to block and more flexible in the joust (point Kytchxvcts) but lacks the slow 1 forward of the X (point T-65). The X has hard 3s, while the Kytctzvsc has hard 1s, which can be far more powerful for keeping a target in arc. (Overall a wash, with slight advantage to the Kyttcvxvsauehrvx because the maneuver persists, where shields do not).

So again how is comparing two of the most similar ships in the game (one of which has been overcosted at its basic configuration since wave 1) at a similar points cost hypocrisy?

Both are jousters.

Considering 20 point variants with no upgrades whatsover.

What Kihraxz has over T-65?

Faster green banks, access to K5 1-hard turn

What 65 has over Kihraxz

hull to shield

3 hard turn, 1 forward

Jouster needs: simple mathematical efficiency (crits not considered) they are equal

5 hp under 2 evades, PS2 both 3 attacks, same lackluster actions.

1 forward to slow roll and stay in position longer, before K-turning

Long K-turn to get some distance

the 3-hard and 1-hard aren't that important outside EU Wedges and Kobras. 

There the 1-hard is epic

the forward-K-forward-K line of X-wing is 1+1+4+1 (base = 1) 7 long

Kihraxz is 1+2+4(5)+1 8-9 long. 

green 2 banks aren't that important until you start PTL-kobra fun.

more than that, you DON'T want them at all.

Overally in plain low-PS head-on 65 has an upper hand, mostly thanks to 1-forward, staying for the extra shot, while K will fly further on and risks missing the target (and much easier to dodge at close range)

When you start the Acewing and slap EU on them, the 1-hard and more greens give Kihraxz an edge.

But then 65 takes an astromech and Kihraxz gets sad. Because PTL works wonders with R2, BB-8, regen is extra important and that shield might matter, because you don't want an ace get crits at all.

It's a hypocrisy because a ship that is better at it's job can't cost as much as a ship that is mathematically worse. 

Saying that Kihraxz is a good jouster and T-65 is a bad jouster is blatant hypocrisy.

The T-65 at its current points is mathematically poor - mathwing has proved that. T-65 at -1 point would be better. Kuytvxvs is not a bad jouster mathematically (cant remember the exact totals from the analysis). It also has the benefit of more waves of design experience.

So two ships at the same point cost (20 point T-65, no droid, no IA) with VERY similar capabilities. How is either mathematically hugely different, or worse?

The solution was to prevent T-65s taking astromechs and IA but making them 1pt cheaper (2 solutions with different versatility - either/or) THEN they would be a good analogy for the naked kyttcxvcsx. If you put droids on then you are ignoring the -1 point no droid fix and going back to 21 point droid and IA option. Which brings its own benefits but is outside the case proposed.

You arent taking into account the speed of approach is dependent on the target you are chasing/jousting and how far apart they are approaching from. For a straight matchup between K and X your example leaves out that if the K does go faster and overshoot, the X cant shoot either. In your example it becomes a joust every other turn, as the Kyyycbvx moves faster at its slowest straight, true, but if it passes the X or bumps, it means the shot is wasted and the K turn next turn brings them back around again. So its still pretty much a wash at 20 points each.

And if you break it open to different matchups, then the T-65 at 20 with no droid is situationally better than the Kytyccxitcx naked, similar to how both the Z and TIE are situationally different but worth the same points. How does this not prove the X is not an efficient jouster at its current points cost?

Edited by phocion

The T-65 at its current points is mathematically poor - mathwing has proved that. T-65 at -1 point would be better. Kuytvxvs is not a bad jouster mathematically (cant remember the exact totals from the analysis). It also has the benefit of more waves of design experience. By your own argument the only thig that matters is the efficency.

You are changing the argument to suit yourself. The solution was to prevent T-65s taking astromechs and IA but making them 1pt cheaper. THEN they would be a good analogy for the naked kyttcxvcsx. If you put droids on then you are ignoring the -1 point no droid fix and going back to 21 point droid and IA option. Which brings its own benefits but is outside the case proposed as one possible solution. Cant have it both ways.

Your example leaves out that if the K does go faster and overshoot, the X cant shoot either. In your example it becomes a joust every other turn, as the Kyyycbvx moves faster at its slowest straight, true, but if it passes the X or bumps, it means the shot is wasted and the K turn next turn brings them back around again. So its still pretty much a wash at 20 points each.

Kihraxz has nowhere to improve, I'm afraid. FFG didn't give it an astro slot or even some tech-whatever slot (currently not rich with choices, but possible to improve)

Torp slot is just as useless as missile slot, it seems. 

When you measure two jousters they joust. Exchange shots until the enemy dies.

K-turn and forward for another salvo.

if both sides forget the K-turn and start the furball, 65 dies, period. 1-hard is important then.

but if you do, it's your own failure.

I've measured the 20-point naked Kih and 20-point 65. no astros, nothing. naked 20-point T-65

T-65 is better as jouster. Kihraxz isn't pure jouster. He still wants to be a knife-fighter, but lacks repositioning and slots for that.

It's problematic measuring 21 point "free astro and IA" and Kihraxz.

And 20-point kihraxz loses in every parameter compared to 21 point IA free R2 65

At 100 points it's a 25 point X-wing vs 20 point kihraxz, and I won't try to measure them in a simple joust, 65 isn't staple at 25 pts

lacking 1-forward isn't overshooting, the main problem is that it's more problematic against dodgers. They have easier time evading arc at close range. Without repositioning actions and even more limited high-speed dial than 65 you won't block his face even if you wanted to.

Ideal jouster has 5-K and 1-forward, has 3-2 and costs less than 20.

in a completely simplistic joust between 20-pointers it's a K5-2_forward for kih, K4 1_forward for 65

It's a shot every turn, R3 at even turns, R1 with focus at uneven turns.

In both numbers and in jousting requirements 65 is a better jouster.

Ace-wise Kih has better dial

65 on the other hands has extra slot so valued by aces, more shields. 

Different, hard to value. But If I could I would slap an astromech onto Kobra every time. 

Managarmr and phocion like this

Sorry, still editing (**** phone posting from the hip). Yeah scrub ordnance slots from the discussion, I agree. But you could argue that the illicit slot is equally of value as it gives access to glitterstim and inertial dampeners both situationally powerful for jousting or furballing.

The comparison case you just made to the K is a good one because it brings perfectly the capability vs mathematical efficiency. The Kyyhxcsfx has options which the X doesnt, the K can furball to a degree as well as joust, so it suffers slightly as a jouster in one respect, lack of slow 1 forward, which it does make up for with variable K options. The X as you say cant furball well and it has to rely on its mathematical efficiency as a jouster, which although improved with IA is still not as good for jousting as the B wing, (which can also do a lot of other things), which, I think, is why people want to see the X just get a tiny nudge so that at least it does that (and only that) better than the B. You are right in that it does become incredibly hard to see what the value is the more potentialities we look at and noone wants to see the X overshadow all the other ships, so we are talking about tiny improvements.

Anyhoo, shall we get back to figuring out how to make the T-65 borked and OP? :P

Edited by phocion
Managarmr likes this

Sorry, still editing (**** phone posting from the hip). Yeah scrub ordnance slots from the discussion, I agree. But you could argue that the illicit slot is equally of value as it gives access to glitterstim and inertial dampeners both situationally powerful for jousting or furballing.

The comparison case you just made to the K is a good one because it brings perfectly the capability vs mathematical efficiency. The Kyyhxcsfx has options which the X doesnt, the K can furball to a degree as well as joust, so it suffers slightly as a jouster in one respect, lack of slow 1 forward, which it does make up for with variable K options. The X as you say cant furball well and it has to rely on its mathematical efficiency as a jouster, which although improved with IA is still not as good for jousting as the B wing, (which can also do a lot of other things), which, I think, is why people want to see the X just get a tiny nudge so that at least it does that (and only that) better than the B. You are right in that it does become incredibly hard to see what the balance is and noone wants to see the X overshadow all the other ships, so we are talking about tiny improvements.

Anyhoo, shall we get back to figuring out how to make the T-65 borked and OP? :P

Inertials are an ace-thing. Nigh useless on a jouster. You're literally a sitting duck, stressed, unable to K-turn next turn, clearly visible with your PS2

Glitterstim is a one-use miracle, truly worthy when your cobra gets into R1, takes that TL with PTL, but to max damage you need that extra push.

What will it give to your jousters? 1 turn you'll deal 1 extra damage (roughly) each. And you get stressed. 

So you'll most likely (remember that 1-forward? You don't have it) not get your next turn shot at all. 

Doesn't sound worth it on generics.

Fuballing is not something K is strong at. It's where B-wing shines, it's where Ties are good. In most cases it's better to 5-K out of it. better a reliable 1,5 damage shot than an unmodded R1 shot you might NOT pull at all. The enemy K-turns and the furball suddenly is a TRAP

the 5-turn and 2-forward isn't better than -turn and 1-forward. It's worse on 2 points

1. it takes more space. The lane is 2 units longer. Asteroids aren't friendly.

2. not always do you make just forward-k-forward-k, it can sometimes be forward-forward-k-forward-forward. 

B-wing's efficiency relies on it's epic 3-5 fat ass and adv sensors that let it have focus on EVERY attack, not 2\3 attacks.

It's arch-nemesis is any turret. Especially TLT.

Comparing only direct "in your face" means ignoring other factors. In current meta B-wing even with all the sensor shenanigans is a worse choice than 65. Even than a NAKED 65. 

the "genius ideas on how to OP 65" are repeating every odd page it seems.

In general it's "MAKE IT A T-70, AND GIVE IT AN EXTRA EDGE AGAINST DODGERS"

While idea of putting wedge onto a T-70 sounds cool and all...

It must be costly and come at a price

say, loss of astro slot

(...)

T-65D-A1 Model Title Card: X-Wing Only. Lose the Astromech Slot, Gain a Focus when in range 1 of the enemy. This card will not cost anything. A free Focus will give them more Jousting strength. They can use the Focus to help them roll better offense or defense (using it to roll hits, or spend it on things like R5-P9).

I like this one, since you essentially paying 1 HP by loosing IA. (... )

Since (...)
That one is interesting. Range 1 of any enemy ship or the defender? You would of course most of the time TL so you have TL+Focus, getting quite some offensive punch. If TL from earlier round, then 2 Focus+TL.

If it is range 1 of any enemy, while conditionally and situational, it would make the X a powerful torp delivery vehicle for proton-, plasma-, flechette-, ion-torp into another enemy in a situation where you managed to park within 1 of an enemy ship.

APT would always work brutally (!!) against even defender at range 1.

Then I am not sure if it is positive that you get that focus even when stressed, devalves stress, and makes the X stress ignoring as long as in range 1 of any enemy.

Range 1 of any enemy ship was my original idea. If you think that is too OP I guess make it so the title card can't produce a Focus, if you already have one. I personally think it's ok with the way it is. X Wing maneuver dials don't have a lot of green. 1 and 2 straight, bank 1 left and right is all you got. Stress Hogs would lock the X-Wing up way too hard. At least with a Focus they could potentially recover

Not sure it its OP, probably not. Playtest it, i'd say.

At least you made a good suggestion here, that in order to get the advantage, the T65D-A1 has to give up the costumisation possible with astromechs and also looses IA and speed. It's going to pack quite some punch at range 1, and finally it might be somewhat worth to bring torps along on a X.

In casual play I've flown Rhymer with APTs, focus modded APTs are brutal. You still pay hefty 6pts for them, but at least a T65D-A1 of your style would be able to shoot them with success!

I am just not that fond of making it totally stress resistant, not many situation in this game where you can ignore stress.

Sorry for necroing this thread but tonight I have come to a conclusion on the T65.

Tonight I played

Luke + R2-D2 + Shield Upgrade

Jake + Predator + Outmanoeuvre

Horton + Ion Cannon Turret + r2 astro.

Won both my games tonight and Luke did well all night. The only thing I thought might help is now the fix I think it should have..... Cheaper mod slot. Shield for 2pts or engine for 2pts? Any mod at -2pts would let you fly the T65 your way and still pack a punch. Generics would still take integrated but aces would rather have a unique astro which you're not likely to want to throw out.

Edit: to a min of 0pts and its strikes me that this might be thematic as well, in the old EU the T65 was easily modifiable.

Edited by Spaceman91
Hexdot likes this

Sorry for necroing this thread but tonight I have come to a conclusion on the T65.

Tonight I played

Won both my games tonight and Luke did well all night. The only thing I thought might help is now the fix I think it should have..... Cheaper mod slot. Shield for 2pts or engine for 2pts? Any mod at -2pts would let you fly the T65 your way and still pack a punch. Generics would still take integrated but aces would rather have a unique astro which you're not likely to want to throw out.

Edit: to a min of 0pts and its strikes me that this might be thematic as well, in the old EU the T65 was easily modifiable.

Why? IA already takes care of that hit and more. Also, Luke is a fantastic tank, absorbing a lot of shots.

Now try it with 3 X's, or a 4X list. I mean we can go into the fine bits of list building, but I am not sure how a competitive list and opponent lost to that.

I might be in the minority but it appears any fix to the T-65 will only make the Kihraxz a noncompetitive ship in comparison.

It was stillborn as far as the competitive scene goes. No built in movement, 1 shield, slightly cheaper, slightly better dial. I wish it was something I could see myself using a lot, but it just isn't.

I like the pilots abilities though...

Edited by AmPm

Tonight I played

Why? IA already takes care of that hit and more. Also, Luke is a fantastic tank, absorbing a lot of shots.

Now try it with 3 X's, or a 4X list. I mean we can go into the fine bits of list building, but I am not sure how a competitive list and opponent lost to that.

I might be in the minority but it appears any fix to the T-65 will only make the Kihraxz a noncompetitive ship in comparison.

It was stillborn as far as the competitive scene goes. No built in movement, 1 shield, slightly cheaper, slightly better dial. I wish it was something I could see myself using a lot, but it just isn't.

You don't see how Jake and Luke are dangerous? (Horton let the side down a bit tonight)

I might be in the minority but it appears any fix to the T-65 will only make the Kihraxz a noncompetitive ship in comparison.

Not necessarily, the T-65 was never worth the points you paid for it, since wave 1, hence IA. Comparing the naked Kyatsvabfx and a non IA T-65, The Kytxhvcxtcx is priced more reasonably for what it represents. Its both slightly different and most similar to the T-65 in terms of design and idea. Unsurprising as it was built from looking at the T-65. T-65 doesnt need any fancy tricks, it just needs to be good value. With IA its at least 2 points more expensive than the Kytatvapihex, which still has a few things the T-65 lacks such as EPT generic and illicit increases that gap in practice. I could see a -1 point reduction on the T-65 purely to bump efficiency slightly higher compared to more efficient ships, but there arent going to be any huge additions to the T-65 without a corresponding points cost now.

Tonight I played

Guess why we should be more concerned about giving S&V something aside from Crab-Bro lists?

and stop whining about "not yet the king of the hill" medium-level 65's?

Well, the full rules for Tractor Beam coupled with the Tie/D title basically confirm the X-wing needs more help. Even Wedge Antilies gets curb-stomped by a Delta with Tractor Beam.

They both have 3 attack, 2 defence (I'm including Wedge's ability here) 3 hull and 3 shield (including Wedge with a 1 or 2 pt Astro and IA). But one of them has a much better dial, the ability to attack twice, and the ability to fling the other onto rocks and reduce their agility for the next attack. It's not even a contest anymore.

Wedge Antilies, ace pilot of the Rebellion. Can't put up a fight to a generic Defender.

phocion likes this

Guess why we should be more concerned about giving S&V something aside from Crab-Bro lists?

and stop whining about "not yet the king of the hill" medium-level 65's?

Start a "Fix the Kihraxz" thread then, this is the fix the T-65 thread. It still needs a little something (reduce price of astromech by 1pt) and then it would be fine. It's not terrible now, but still not competitive. 

Spaceman91, phocion, jimmius and 1 other like this

With With "Adaptability" being the first double-sided card, "S-Foils" is a shoe-in for an Xwing Title. The only question is what it does, bearing in mind that the T70 can take it too.

S-foils in cruise position: reduce your Primary attack value to 2. During the end step, you must perform a free boost action.

S-foils in attack position: When you declare an attack on a target you have locked, you may turn an eye into a hit.

Attack position is supposed to be the default, outside epic play where boosting around the board is worth a worse shot.

The idea is to make the effect both weak enough that IA + Sfoils doesnt make the Xwing OP, and to combo with the various Target lock-savvy pilots and droids that never see play.

Arma Quattro likes this

With With "Adaptability" being the first double-sided card, "S-Foils" is a shoe-in for an Xwing Title. The only question is what it does, bearing in mind that the T70 can take it too.

S-foils in cruise position: reduce your Primary attack value to 2. During the end step, you must perform a free boost action.

S-foils in attack position: When you declare an attack on a target you have locked, you may turn an eye into a hit.

Attack position is supposed to be the default, outside epic play where boosting around the board is worth a worse shot.

The idea is to make the effect both weak enough that IA + Sfoils doesnt make the Xwing OP, and to combo with the various Target lock-savvy pilots and droids that never see play.

That's a funky idea, not sure about attack position though.

jimmius likes this

B-Wings also have S-Foils...

Overly complex and doesn't help the X-Wing do it's job as a mid cost jouster. I understand everyone wants something "cool and new" for it, but it should just be more efficient at what it does. Be a jouster with decent speed and limited extra options. Want cannons, crew, or systems? Get a B-Wing. Want to go faster and have an Astromech? Use an X-Wing.

The only droids that don't see play are the ones that are too expensive. R7 is great on Tarn, because he gets a new target lock each attack and can decide who to use it on. R5-K6 is crap, because it's 2pts that may do nothing for the whole game.

"0pt Title: Astromechs cost -1pt to a minimum of 0"  brings down the cost of both, allowing them to see play...maybe....R5-K6 is still ****. But it does help 4X builds a lot, where they need it, in lower point investment.

phocion and Moneyinvolved like this