Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GreenLantern1138

T-65 Fix?

483 posts in this topic

Oh yeah, enlighten us what can B or Z do outside jousting? Arcdodges? Or maybe it's a flying turret on a brick?

I won't wait too long and answer myself. Nothing.

Jousters joust and can do nothing else. Like X B and Z can't do ANYTHING else. Nor should they. Different flavours with different features.

B and Z have their own problems.

Z has 2 attack dice and can't reliably push damage through

B has 1 evade token, dies to TLTs in moments and is too goddamn slow to even have a chance against some PWT. it can't even try to block some lane. It's K-turn range is too small to gain some distance and deny a squint his tailing. X can do it. yeah, no focus this time, but it's something. B can't shake it at all.

Specific pilot configurations, like Farlander on target or Batwedge can react to enemy movement but aren't arcdodgers themselves, they get their shot almost every time, but don't dodge arcs.

X does not and should not overshadow them. it has none of their problems. so why should it get some bonus? They pay for their efficiency with drawbacks X lacks.

While you densely insist it should have plain jousting value over everything out there.

Just because. Fanboys.

My point is "Don't try to bring lore and ship roles there into the game. game isn't exacly following it, and it shall not"

Want to see ships filling their roles to the end? Play Armada. (and even there Tie-Adv and A-wings are better at cap ship attacking than Y wings, Jesus!)

because if you want it that way there will be nothing except for X-wings and A-wings here. Why bring assault craft to a dogfight?

Game design trumps everything.

trying to see them on the tables?

Tournament level? Seen many jousters around the world championship?

Not that many? See the problem?

Nope?

It's not T-65 problem, it's overall downfall of jousters.

the last "jousters" that made the cut at worlds are Whisper (post-nerf she's a jouster,yeah), brobots with their measly 6 PS and Howl-obsidian swarm.

I didn't put "filler" ships like Pheaver's Z or single Blockers that don't joust at all in the list.

HOW much do you need to overpower a generic jouster so that his raw power can break the statistics?

It should break Brobots faces? Outshoot Howlswarm? (I dare remind you that Howlswarm is one of the most hard lists to fly, and it sometimes wins not by jousting, but instead by suddenly blocking something precicely)

MajorJuggler did a heap of work, and there's a neat thing to see

Named vs Generic usage by points

2013 2014 2015

Named Pilots 33.31% 53.19% 53.75%

Generic Pilots 66.69% 46.81% 46.25%

"Vanilla" generics* 66.69% 46.81% 12.72%

* generics without wave 7 or Palpatine Crew

see the trend? it's not the 65 problem.

See the trend yet?

And now I dare you say it's all because Xwing isn't a powerhouse.

Yep, surely, maxing it's efficiency WILL UNDO IT ALL and fill the top lists with jousters, pushing aces out of the throne room.

Brobots, Dodge-Aces, TLTs - everything of that break BBBB list to pieces much more reliably than a XXXX list, full generic or part-generic.

Although the XX-YY sounds more reasonable to my mind. Pure joust lists are going extinct. and FFG is happy with that. They deliberately started the PS race and unleashed old Whisper upon the world.

General problem isn't solved by overpowering something.

What else can a B do? Seriously?

A B can carry cannon and act as a slow crawl firebase, can break action efficiency through FCS or Adv Sensors increasing its effectiveness naked or loaded out. It can effectively carry munitions and has pilots with EPT that can make use of them. It can add a crew slot to increase its effectiveness and give it more options. The B can also joust naked very efficiently - moreso than the X with its 'fix'. The B is a competent knife fighter as it has the full range of 1 moves as well as 2s as well as the short K, which is a double edged sword, but more often than not a B can keep a target in arc with little trouble. Because of its short range agility and BR, the B can also arc dodge with PTL aces and EU, though it does lean heavily on advanced sensors to achieve this. I love taking on arc dodgers with advanced sensor Bs. They are far more agile than people give them credit for. So whilst you call the B Wing a Jouster, you are ignoring those extra capabilities, the B is so much more than JUST a jouster. Of course you can just joust with it.... You could just joust with an advanced or a naked bomber too.

The Y can be a jouster, you can joust very effectively in the BTL-A4 configuration, it can also be a cheap turret carrier and can also make an pretty good ordnance carrier, lacking only EPT uniques. You can fit a Y out as a stresshog, warthog for jousting, torpedo carrier or a combination of those. There are several different Y wing builds. It also makes very good use of the 1 pt astromech generics. So while it can be a jouster, it can also break that mold using its upgrades.

The Z can swarm naked and makes a pretty good missile delivery platform with action support. It jousts, thats about it. But does so very effectively for its points. For 12 points you aren't going to get much, but what you get is heavily optimized and very efficient at its job. Similarly the TIE, though its also more of an arc dodger/blocker too depending on its fit.

The X can do none of these things. It cant carry torpedoes very effectively. It has limited actions and cant really do anything except K turn, rinse repeat and it cant break action efficiency as well as the B and doesnt have a generic EPT carrier which would help it achieve this. It has a good dial but is stiff and has few options for arc dodging. Even the Kythnbcvxc has 2 different K turns which gives it better flexibility in the joust and is cheaper in its basic configuration than the X. Without its 'fix' the X is about 2 points overcosted. Throw EU on it and its probably 3 points overcosted. The X HAS to take an astromech to take IA, which also decreases the value of IA. I am not ignoring the astromech 'bonus' I just don't think the 1 point generics really benefit the X that much. The X is not optimized for its points, whereas the Y, B and Z are. The defender and advanced were not optimized for their points either. By the new mathwing they are both in far better places than the X now. So why shouldnt the X be fixed to the same level of efficiency? A -1 point costing wouldnt make the X broken - it would make it slightly better than the B at jousting - but that is it.

You keep applying gross brush strokes and generalizing ships which can be very versatile with a little effort. Which is a false premise to start your argument from. You say that jousters are dead - yet the winning worlds list was composed almost entirely of jousters T-70, Ys and a Z. I doubt FFG have consigned jousters to the trash yet. Wave 8 is half filled with jousters, the mist hunter and ghost appear at first look to be jousters - I doubt either are going to be arc dodgers.

Also while I tend to agree with what you say about aces and PS - FFG have certainly tried to pull the game back from the 'cram as many generics into 100 pts as you can' that it used to be, I dont think acewing is the current meta either. The balance is there - an ace or a couple of mid PS uniques as well as generics seems to be one of the new themes at OP events, unless you are playing specific high PS builds. Having said that, I have come across a few generic spam lists more recently, especially the scum, 4 K and 4 TLT Y builds. Generics havent died.

Also quoting tables out of context wont help your point - I dont even understand what you are trying to say there. Generics that fill a place in a list still appear - see Paul Heavers winning worlds list. See plenty of the lists that made it into the top games at worlds. How is that proving that the X is a powerhouse? Because by mathwing it certainly doesnt come out looking like one. If all the top tables are filled with X Wings next year I will be very surprised.

Edited by phocion
Punning Pundit, jimmius and Khigt like this

I don't think that the decreased popularity of generic pilots is an indication that jousters are 'dead', but simply that named pilots offer more bang for the buck, namely in dice modification as far as jousting tactics are concerned. If you play the jousting game, named pilots are often still worth it, if only because you have the chance of shooting first.

phocion and Punning Pundit like this

I keep thinking of new ideas, for my old ideas as this thread continues to gain comments (check this post here to see my old ideas). Being an old 4 X-Wing tourny list, even I recognize how under powered X-Wings are. I think they have the potential to return to Tournaments with some fixes (due to the amazing Elite Pilot Cards). So lets try this assuming you aren't ok with Boost:

T-65B Model Title Card: X-Wing Only. Increases Shields by 1, Decreases Cost by 1, your 4 straight becomes a red maneuver. This would make a Rookie Pilot cost as much as a Cartel Marauder for Kihraxz. It would give them 1 more hit point for Jousting at the cost of some Maneuverability. It's a fair trade I think. For Pilots like Biggs, it would mean he wouldn't have to spend 4 points to get a Shield Upgrade, so he could take more hits, and make the most of his Elite Pilot Talent.

T-65D-A1 Model Title Card: X-Wing Only. Lose the Astromech Slot, Gain a Focus when in range 1 of the enemy. This card will not cost anything. A free Focus will give them more Jousting strength. They can use the Focus to help them roll better offense or defense.

Astromech to Computer Conversion Modification: Lose the Astromech Slot, Gain a Focus when in rage 1 of the enemy. This card will be more suited to the T-70. While the T-70 is considered strong, it is mostly considered strong because of Pilots like Poe Dameron. With this modification it will make the non elite pilots more useful. They could use the Focus on R5-P9, or Weapon Guidance. With lower point cost cards being more effective, it will allow for better overall Squad Builds.

The T-65AC4 Model Title Card I guess is something you can scrap (if you want). I was thinking of using it for the Boost and Decreased Torpedo cost. Due to most people not liking that. We will skip it.

Everyone is talking about the Red Squadron thing. In my original post, I was thinking of using that for a Target Lock thing. Every X-Wing/T-70 can treat it as their own. Perhaps you could keep that, or add to it. Add in that it decreases the Torpedo cost of your squad by 2, and Astromech cost by 1.

If you made it an Elite Pilot Talent, and only accessible to X-Wing's (T-70 included), then it could balance it out. It would make it so that every Rebel Ship doesn't have that capability. With decreased Torpedo cost, it would make Torpedoes more common. It would give the old X-Wing more of a chance to survive before the Jousting starts (by dropping a lot of burst damage).

Does that work better? It's all based on lore (that isn't canon or extended)..Except the Astromech to Computer Conversion Card. That is pushing it. While there was X-Wings here and there in the movies that didn't have Astromechs, and instead relied on their computers, it wasn't wide spread.

Edited by RPLev

An astromech that reads:

If an enemy ship within 1-2 and inside your arc performs a barrel roll or boost action you may perform a free barrel roll action.,

I keep thinking of new ideas, for my old ideas as this thread continues to gain comments (check this post here to see my old ideas). Being an old 4 X-Wing tourny list, even I recognize how under powered X-Wings are. I think they have the potential to return to Tournaments with some fixes (due to the amazing Elite Pilot Cards). So lets try this assuming you aren't ok with Boost:

T-65B Model Title Card: X-Wing Only. Increases Shields by 1, Decreases Cost by 1, your 4 straight becomes a red maneuver. This would make a Rookie Pilot cost as much as a Cartel Marauder for Kihraxz. It would give them 1 more hit point for Jousting at the cost of some Maneuverability. It's a fair trade I think. For Pilots like Biggs, it would mean he wouldn't have to spend 4 points to get a Shield Upgrade, so he could take more hits, and make the most of his Elite Pilot Talent. 

So with IA that is 21 points for a ship with 7 HP and 2 green dice. Compared to Kihraxz that seems a bit much don't you think?

T-65D-A1 Model Title Card: X-Wing Only. Lose the Astromech Slot, Gain a Focus when in range 1 of the enemy. This card will not cost anything. A free Focus will give them more Jousting strength. They can use the Focus to help them roll better offense or defense (using it to roll hits, or spend it on things like R5-P9).

I like this one, since you essentially paying 1 HP by loosing IA. 

Astromech to Computer Conversion Modification: Lose the Astromech Slot, Gain a Focus when in rage 1 of the enemy. This card will be more suited to the T-70. While the T-70 is considered strong, it is mostly considered strong because of Pilots like Poe Dameron. With this modification it will make the non elite pilots more useful. They could use the Focus on R5-P9, or Weapon Guidance. With lower point cost cards being more effective, it will allow for better overall Squad Builds.

Do you really need the same thing twice, but in a different slot? 

The T-65AC4 Model Title Card I guess is something you can scrap (if you want). I was thinking of using it for the Boost and Decreased Torpedo cost. Due to most people not liking that. We will skip it.

Everyone is talking about the Red Squadron thing. In my original post, I was thinking of using that for a Target Lock thing. Every X-Wing/T-70 can treat it as their own. Perhaps you could keep that, or add to it. Add in that it decreases the Torpedo cost of your squad by 2, and Astromech cost by 1.

I suggested something similar a few threads back, but STOP TRYING TO REDUCE THE COST OF ASTROMECHS, YOU ARE NOT GETTING FREE HP.   

If you made it an Elite Pilot Talent, and only accessible to X-Wing's (T-70 included), then it could balance it out. It would make it so that every Rebel Ship doesn't have that capability. With decreased Torpedo cost, it would make Torpedoes more common. It would give the old X-Wing more of a chance to survive before the Jousting starts (by dropping a lot of burst damage).

Does that work better? It's all based on lore (that isn't canon or extended)..Except the Astromech to Computer Conversion Card. That is pushing it. While there was X-Wings here and there in the movies that didn't have Astromechs, and instead relied on their computers, it wasn't wide spread.

An astromech that reads:

If an enemy ship within 1-2 and inside your arc performs a barrel roll or boost action you may perform a free barrel roll action.,

Situational, but potentially very effective. I really like this idea.

Since we are having fun, hears an idea I had lying around for some time regarding the Stealth-X. People keep suggesting that it should give the X-Wing the cloaking action, however the way I understand it, the Stealth-X is essentially just a X-Wing with a Stealth Device. So I was thinking it should instead give you a powerful boost in the opening round of shooting and after that become useless to simulate the advantage of ambushing you opponent.  

Stealth-X

Modification: 1 Point.

X-Wing only.

At the beginning of the game receive a Cloaked-Token. After decloaking receive a focus- and a evade-token.  

Edited by Duskwalker

So with IA that is 21 points for a ship with 7 HP and 2 green dice. Compared to Kihraxz that seems a bit much don't you think?

T-65D-A1 Model Title Card: X-Wing Only. Lose the Astromech Slot, Gain a Focus when in range 1 of the enemy. This card will not cost anything. A free Focus will give them more Jousting strength. They can use the Focus to help them roll better offense or defense (using it to roll hits, or spend it on things like R5-P9).

I like this one, since you essentially paying 1 HP by loosing IA. 

Do you really need the same thing twice, but in a different slot? 

I suggested something similar a few threads back, but STOP TRYING TO REDUCE THE COST OF ASTROMECHS, YOU ARE NOT GETTING FREE HP.   

An astromech that reads:

Situational, but potentially very effective. I really like this idea.

Since we are having fun, hears an idea I had lying around for some time regarding the Stealth-X. People keep suggesting that it should give the X-Wing the cloaking action, however the way I understand it, the Stealth-X is essentially just a X-Wing with a Stealth Device. So I was thinking it should instead give you a powerful boost in the opening round of shooting and after that become useless to simulate the advantage of ambushing you opponent.  

Stealth-X

Modification: 1 Point.

X-Wing only.

At the beginning of the game receive a Cloaked-Token. After decloaking receive a focus- and a evade-token.  

I see I typed the T-65D-A1 thing wrong in my tired state. I meant to move R5-P9 to another line. Oh well.

As for the T-65B title card.. I guess you can take away the minus 1 cost. Make it so its 0. That way you avoid it but, still get a free shield upgrade, and reduced forward speed (if you want).

I guess you don't need to do the focus thing twice. I was trying to leave the modification slot open on the T-65 to give it more wriggle room to be better (for the future in case new cards come out). The T-70 doesn't need the modification slot. That was my thinking process.

Ok fine lol then leave "Red Squad" as an Elite Pilot, Action thing that reduces Torpedo Cost of your squad by 2, and gives a Target Lock for everyone. X-Wing only card (T-70 or X-Wing). Like I was saying Torpedoes would do burst damage at range, increasing the chance of survival on the X-Wing.

As for the Stealth-X model.. As I said previously it was not a true cloaker. It was designed to hide from visual, and sensors. The second it used its Comms, is the second it was on Radar. It's why it was a rare X-Wing Model. Only Jedi's were able to use it.

It's not like the Phantom where it truly disappears. So the most I can see it having in the game is it can't be target locked, or hit by secondary weapons, until it attacks (turrets, torpedoes and missiles). Or in place of that not being locked on, that evade and focus token like you were saying.

Edited by RPLev

In all seriousness, I do like the idea of a title giving X-Wings a discount on astromechs.  IA is great and all but I feel like losing that mod slot kinda sucks.  Especially since you have to throw away your potentially expensive astro.  Now if that bot was a bit cheaper?  Sure.

But without IA both your ship and precious astromech would have been DEAD. So anyway no use of the expensive astro,

In all seriousness, I do like the idea of a title giving X-Wings a discount on astromechs.  IA is great and all but I feel like losing that mod slot kinda sucks.  Especially since you have to throw away your potentially expensive astro.  Now if that bot was a bit cheaper?  Sure.

But without IA both your ship and precious astromech would have been DEAD. So anyway no use of the expensive astro,

Well IA is the only conditional health in the game. Most of the time a ship is at full fighting efficiency until it loses it's last hullpoint. Not so with IA. If you're in a desperate enough situation to jettison R2D2, you've already lost the X-wing.

phocion likes this

(...)

(...)

IMO also too much.  Rebel players routinely tend to forget how fine shields are, you ignore a number of crits, which cripple most small imperials and scum early. On top of that the IA "super shield" where you can decide when to activate, got a crit, you do not like, no probs.

The Khiraxz can ignore exactly one crit.

You have to remind yourself that this game is huge, you cannot just "fix" something without looking at the effects on other game parts/factions. Don't overdo the X-wing.

phocion and Warpman like this

Yeah we really are into fine increment fixes now.  Its frustrating on the one hand so see FFG tread sooooo carefully that they dont seem to nail it on the first shot.  On the other, its reassuring that they care so much for game balance that they dont want to overdo something.  The T-65 needs the tiniest of nudges now.  Its at the tipping point of where it needs to be.

Punning Pundit and Managarmr like this

An astromech that reads:

I kinda like this, kinda wierd and useful, although it should be a once per round thing.  Otherwise your X wings wont sit still.  Your entire T-65 collection just suddenly developed ADHD!!!! :P 

Punning Pundit and Managarmr like this

An astromech that reads:

I kinda like this, kinda wierd and useful, although it should be a once per round thing.  Otherwise your X wings wont sit still.  Your entire T-65 collection just suddenly developed ADHD!!!! :P

The Fix can't be an Astro though, it has to be a title. Otherwise you may as well dump the other astros on a bonfire.

phocion and Punning Pundit like this

An astromech that reads:

It is once per round by default since it is an action. 

Oh yeah...Derp! :P

Would take it in epic just to see a dozen T-65s flying in a block and all BR together when someone in front of them does it first.

Edited by phocion

Well IA is the only conditional health in the game. Most of the time a ship is at full fighting efficiency until it loses it's last hullpoint. Not so with IA. If you're in a desperate enough situation to jettison R2D2, you've already lost the X-wing.

And taking a cheap Astro to use IA simply means you're inflating your point total for one more hit point.  Sure you get the bonus from the mech, but then you have to throw it away, and like this fella points out, if you're popping your Astro, chances are you're borked anyways.

As an aside, I guess it looks like the mythical Rebel Veterans pack will indeed contain an X-Wing, if these forums are anything to go by!  lol

Managarmr and Punning Pundit like this

(...)

I like this one, since you essentially paying 1 HP by loosing IA. (... )

Since (...)

That one is interesting. Range 1 of any enemy ship or the defender? You would of course most of the time TL so you have TL+Focus, getting quite some offensive punch. If TL from earlier round, then 2 Focus+TL.

If it is range 1 of any enemy, while conditionally and situational, it would make the X a powerful torp delivery vehicle for proton-, plasma-, flechette-, ion-torp into another enemy in a situation where you managed to park within 1 of an enemy ship.

APT would always work brutally (!!) against even defender at range 1.

Then I am not sure if it is positive that you get that focus even when stressed, devalves stress, and makes the X stress ignoring as long as in range 1 of any enemy.

And taking a cheap Astro to use IA simply means you're inflating your point total for one more hit point.  Sure you get the bonus from the mech, but then you have to throw it away, and like this fella points out, if you're popping your Astro, chances are you're borked anyways.

As an aside, I guess it looks like the mythical Rebel Veterans pack will indeed contain an X-Wing, if these forums are anything to go by!  lol

you get the bonus from the astro itself

and get a super shield that jumps out when you need it most.

it's not an extra Hull, not an extra Shield, it's a 1-point astromech cosplaying Chewbakka!

look at this poor fellow

Salvaged-astromech.png

he's crying oily tears reading the rebel X-wing whine

Edited by Warpman
Duskwalker and Darkcloak like this

Card that removes the torpedo slot for -1 point, "Lightened Payload" or something, and gives it a barrel roll action. X-wings are supposed to be just as maneuverable as the base standard TIE fighter. This then really helps with one of the X-wings too biggest problems which is the fact that it can't re-position after movement for both low and high level pilots.  

Heheh, poor salvaged Astro...

I dunno, I just think, like others, that IA isn't quite enough.  Maybe if we saw more generic Astro units for 1 point then I'd be okay.  I also think that the X-Wing doesn't need a big add-one-crit type fix either. 

Someone mentioned something like Chaardan Refit, and that, plus IA, would probably be golden.  I just don't want to see a big overhaul, and I feel like a tiny fix isn't enough.

Moderation, I guess.

I also like to argue, so...

(...)

I like this one, since you essentially paying 1 HP by loosing IA. (... )

Since (...)
That one is interesting. Range 1 of any enemy ship or the defender? You would of course most of the time TL so you have TL+Focus, getting quite some offensive punch. If TL from earlier round, then 2 Focus+TL.

If it is range 1 of any enemy, while conditionally and situational, it would make the X a powerful torp delivery vehicle for proton-, plasma-, flechette-, ion-torp into another enemy in a situation where you managed to park within 1 of an enemy ship.

APT would always work brutally (!!) against even defender at range 1.

Then I am not sure if it is positive that you get that focus even when stressed, devalves stress, and makes the X stress ignoring as long as in range 1 of any enemy.

Range 1 of any enemy ship was my original idea. If you think that is too OP I guess make it so the title card can't produce a Focus, if you already have one. I personally think it's ok with the way it is. X Wing maneuver dials don't have a lot of green. 1 and 2 straight, bank 1 left and right is all you got. Stress Hogs would lock the X-Wing up way too hard. At least with a Focus they could potentially recover

It really is so simple.

Title 0pts: Astromechs cost -1pt to a minimum of 0

That is it, this puts their jousting efficiency up, opens up the dial with free R2 units, gives 4X builds more options on Astromechs, and helps 3X builds just a little bit. It's not huge, it doesn't make the ship into something else, it doesn't try to replicate anything else with new actions, and it fits the lore.

Everyone asking for the T-65 to be a T-70 just so they can have Wedge in one is wrong. It doesn't need that, it shouldn't be that. They are distinct ships that fly differently, even if they are similar on the surface. If you have problems nailing an Imperial Ace to the wall with Wes or Wedge you are doing it wrong, and Luke is still  a strong defensive X-Wing. It is a beast of a ship if you show up with a plan and play to it's strengths. Strong firepower, good durability, strong pilots.

Darkcloak and phocion like this

Someone mentioned something like Chaardan Refit, and that, plus IA, would probably be golden.  I just don't want to see a big overhaul, and I feel like a tiny fix isn't enough.

XXXXX list of doom

3+2+IA list of 3-attack craft that CAN slooooow-rooooooll

can do green hard turns after a K-turn doesn't give a **** about crits...

Now it's time for kihraxz to burst into tears hearing that.

without 1-forward, 3-turns, no hard greens, sh*tty hull-shield ratio and no Chewbakka Droids...

Managarmr likes this

So only the Khiraxz can fly 5 ships with 3 attack?

I understand that you don't want to see the X-Wing become overpowered, and I don't think that would be very cool either, but from the sounds of it, a lot of people want more than just IA. 

Now, you are right Warpman, too much of a fix and you negatively impact the whole game, but if FFG doesn't do enough to fix the problem, then it only becomes worse.  Simply slapping a mod on your X-Wing isn't enough.  The A-Wing was found to be lacking at 17 points, and they gave us CR, now it's a great option. 

If we got a refit for the X-Wing, or a Astro discounting title, then you could take the IA + Astro for cheaper.  You might not be able to fit five Xs' into the list anyways, and if you do, well then you're stuck with 1 pointers. 

I'm sure X-Wing formations becoming a meta would probably put smiles on a lot of faces.  Should those formations be game breaking?  Heck no.  And I guess this is why we have a 10 pager on something we almost Skubbed out.