Sign in to follow this  
Folkenhellfang

AT-AT, where will you be?

This is what I have been thinking about alot lately. I change the Agility to "Armor" for the walkers. If I want an ATAT; I would seriously consider using an extremely token that the xwing ships could fly over. Have the snow speeders fly around the token and if they make contact with the token they blow up. If they exceed range 1 the cable is lost. Make 3 passes. Have the odd ammo depot objectives for rearming kinetic weapons. There is lots of interesting idea's in this design space. 

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/197805-walker-combat-ruleset-discussion/

Personally I would like them to extend the epic line with scale ATAT and ATST's. I am hoping the new Rogue One movie gives us a glimpse of Rebel Walkers. We see in battlefront ATAT's targeting Rebel Transports. If there are big enought tables... why not?  

If the Star Wars universe had military factions that behaved like a real military would, none of these ships would exist.  I would bomb the AT-ATs from orbit using something as simple as an asteroid from a nearby asteroid belt or a big steel ball.  Why use explosives when you could let gravity do the work.  Planetary shields you say?  Fine.  Do the same from a sub-orbital height.  Also, if you are trying to destroy a large target with no regard for collateral damage (Death Star 1 and 2, rebel bases, etc...) why would you not use nukes?  They are small enough these days to strap on the bottom of an X-Wing.

Dogfighting should be obsolete due to droid-based homing missiles and ground assault only necessary when you want to take prisoners or gather intel.

I would absolutely love a ground based expansion in the same vein as epic/cinematic play; a separate/additional rules set for fun thematic games of x-wing. I don't think it belongs in the base game however. Keep the base game straight forward and then have alternate modes of play like epic and 'ground assault'.  

star fighters interacting in and fighting above ground combat has been established both in the new cannon and in the old.

• TFA and the clone wars show depict fighters involved in ground assaults. 
  • Battlefront shows bombing runs on AT-ATs and assaulting enemy fortifications
  • rogue squadron games and others show fighters participating in ground battles and atmo dogfights 
  • numerous old canon novels show star fighters taking place in ground battles 

As for AT-ATs shooting down fighters I seem to recall them shooting down fast, tiny, and nimble snow speeders quite handily in the empire strikes back. I doubt x-wings or y-wings would be moving much faster while in atmosphere at attack speeds. Certainly no depiction of them I have seen has shown that. I would imagine the AT-AT would have a front arc similar to the yv-666 to represent its swiveling head.  

TL;DR I certainly think it's plausible to have a cinematic ground-based expansion that isn't part of the base game, and I would certainly play the hell out of it. 

The BEST place for an AT-AT is right here in X-Wing.  It is literally the perfect scale for this game, to both look big, yet be affordable.  

X-Wing could really use a ground based alternate format that doesn't have to interfere with the standard gameplay, yet CAN overlap.   This would be similar to X-Wing EPIC play.  The HUGE ships are only allowed in EPIC format, and the GROUND vehicles would only be allowed in GROUND format.  This way your X-Wings and TIE Fighters COULD shoot at an AT-AT, but your AT-AT couldn't just show up parked on an asteroid shooting your CR-90 in deep space.  

A ground format allows us to have a TON of cool new miniatures.  AT-AT, AT-ST, Snowspeeder, T-16 Skyhopper, Cloud Car, Ewoks!   And that's just the Canon stuff!   Plus that new walker in The Force Awakens!

but your AT-AT couldn't just show up parked on an asteroid shooting your CR-90 in deep space.

Outside of special scenarios, as that is precisely what happened in a clone wars episode, except with CW era equivalents. (Actually, I think the clone's walker tanks were shooting at grevious' flagship cruiser, not anything as dinky as a corvette.)

Edited by Forgottenlore

it would probably never happen , but i liked the idea of world maps where u fight for a objective, instead of being only space battles.. it would change the game and bring other mechs to the game , but would be interesting fighting for something in a world..

Ah Hell I remember that, had a few minis for that game.

I still have mine although I lost many of the cards for Imperials some how. I am debating if I should try and sell it for store credit for more X-wing.

I won't be selling the AT-AT AT-ST or hoth pack.

but your AT-AT couldn't just show up parked on an asteroid shooting your CR-90 in deep space.

Outside of special scenarios, as that is precisely what happened in a clone wars episode, except with CW era equivalents. (Actually, I think the clone's walker tanks were shooting at grevious' flagship cruiser, not anything as dinky as a corvette.)

Naturally it COULD happen but yeah, that is far too specific for the "normal" state of the game for X-Wing.  I think it'd make for a cool homebrew scenario though, in the same way I'd allow homebrew scenarios of a Tantive flying in low orbit, attacking AT-ATs.   I don't expect the game to be balanced for that in tournament play, but it'd be fun to play with all my toys together!

An epic Imperial Assault expansion is the only place you're likely to get a real AT-AT model,

Are you using "epic" in the x-wing sense, "huge models and a new, larger play format" meaning a 30mm scale AT-AT? or

Are you using "epic" in the GW sense, "6mm scale mass battle game" meaning AT-ATs in the same scale as X-Wing ships?

I've got a couple of WotC's 28mm AT-ATs. not quite sure how to integrate them into the Imperial assault rules for a big scenario.

AT-ATs in the same scale as X-Wing are really the only way to make them playable in a "normal" size game. Either as part of a ground assault expansion for X-Wing, or a brand new game that uses the same scale.

AT-ATs in X-Wing scale would be about 3.25" (83mm) tall. that is doable as a model, the question is simply how can FFG justify making it, because they HAVE to know that there is a big demand for it.

Shut up and take my money!!!! I would be 5 on the spot...

I'd allow homebrew scenarios of a Tantive flying in low orbit, attacking AT-ATs.

Ooh, that dies sound kinda cool. Probably need some SERIOUS ground assets to repel firepower of that magnitude maybe a weak deflector shield that requires close range turbolaser shots to bring down.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but star wars rebellion looks pretty sweet

Ffg new boardgame which is suppose to be out q1 of this year

I expect it by August

But it looks really cool.

It does. I'm hoping that the AT-ST pieces in it are close to 1/270 scale. I've been looking on eBay and getting enough micromachines ones for a ground scenario would be cost prohibitive.

I would like to think at some point there will be Imperial Assault Epic Skirmish. That would be okay with me. As would Armada Epic on an unrelated note. This thread gives me hope that, in conjunction with the new movies fighter scenes, a planetary fighting rule set could be forth coming

I think the real problem with AT-AT's is that General Veers would be OP. The guy (and his crew) took on and defeated Rogue Squadron (at least Zev Rogue 2 and probably Luke Skywalker) and the rest of the rebels defense force. Watching him casually shooting down airspeeders in probably the least effective anti-air vehicle ever created is absolutely one of the best things about ESB.

By far Veers was most effective Imperial officer ever shown on screen and now I think about it, I definitely want AT-AT's in X-wing.  :)

I would like to think at some point there will be Imperial Assault Epic Skirmish. That would be okay with me. As would Armada Epic on an unrelated note.

A quick and dirty version would be "Replace model with appropriate larger scale model".

With, for example, the Imperial Star Destroyer rules for the SSD, and the TIE Advanced rules for the 3 ship Imperial Star Destroyer squadron.

That would allow the fielding of a huge Star Destroyer force, without the game taking forever to play.