Sign in to follow this  
Folkenhellfang

AT-AT, where will you be?

HolySorcerer, on 02 Jan 2016 - 1:21 PM, said:

An epic Imperial Assault expansion is the only place you're likely to get a real AT-AT model, and I find that rather unlikely.  Just like X-Wing is never going to get an Imperial Star Destroyer, and Armada is never going to get a Super Star Destroyer, the AT-AT is just too large to keep in scale.  Their new Star Wars board game should have some in it though.

My son and I have been playing though Imperial Assault Campaign and he LOVES it.

Id like to see the AT-AT but they have to create epic level play for that to work.  Dual play mats for larger play area.  Could be fun though.  We just got Return to Hoth in the mail and that would sure be fun to play with AT-ATs and some laser towers!

AT-AT would be in place at Imperial Assault. But yeah the scale is such that you need a huge miniature such as this one.

$T2eC16F,!yEE9s5jD(7MBRtJMmn7Zg~~60_35.J

Can't really tell the scale by this pic but even if it doesn't match Imperial Assault I still say it is large enough to feel good. Here is another picture to give you the real scale. The Wizzard of the Coast AT-St are the same size as IA AT-ST.

P1010105.JPG

Edited by Marinealver

The core mechanics of the game were originally designed for atmospheric combat so I always assumed it was coming at some point. Hell at the store if we don't have a star mat we lay out one of the 3x3 war game tables and play on that. Works out well because we have boards in desert, snow, and field themes which is for us Tattoine/Jakku, Hoth/Starkiller base, Yavin/Endor tables.

Notably though the attack on Starkiller Base by the Resistance starts in atmospheric combat but drifts temporarily to what appears to be a low orbital level. I didn't catch how high they were until my second viewing. You can notice it when they look from their fighters and notice the weakpoint has been heavily damaged by the ground team. Then they dive back towards the planet. But it seemed at least a little like they were in space for a bit.

Would love to see spires and clouds as terrain types.

Edited by ForceSensitive

I'd prefer if the game split in this case into a standard x-wing and an advanced x-wing if it comes to doing ground battles with X-wing minis (sort of like how huge ships are a sub-game). Standard X-Wing continues being the mainstream game with tourney support, etc; while advanced can be a In-House Manufactured print on demand game with a more war gamey feel (and no official tournament support etc).

Yeah FFG should introduce a new model type that has near no ability to actually engage the other models in the game.

It is hilariously slow by comparison to everything in this game, has the armaments of a TIE Fighter, a complete sitting duck (negative agility), and couldn't even bring it's weapons to bear unless the starfighters opposing it opt to fly directly infront of it's head at a comically low altitude for absolutely no reason.

This is one of the silliest ideas to grace these boards.

... Fly Casual much? A bit harsh dude. Can't be that silly with as much dedicated supprt as it's had. It's not my cup of tea either but I support the creativity and after market development of my favorite game.

Edited by ForceSensitive

It can be that silly, the support of it is not at all thought out. It doesn't matter that if it is dedicated if it is also nonsensical in the same breath.

I mean read the thread. The AT-AT have a Huge Ship attack range isn't a bad idea? We are talking a vehicle no bigger the some small based ships once you exclude it's height, with the armament of a TIE Fighter. Or the idea that FFG had it's arm twisted into developing Rebels content for X-wing, which in an of itself is unfounded, and thus will eventually have it's arm twisted into developing the AT-AT for X-wing. It's just silly unthought out reasoning, not dedication.

Edited by ScottieATF

Well it appears just like Sith's, star wars games come in twos. X-wing and Armada. So i expect a larger (Armada Version) of Imperial assault. This could have AT-AT, AT-ST, Snow Speeders, speeder bikes, and more!

We are talking a vehicle no bigger the some small based ships once you exclude it's height, with the armament of a TIE Fighter.

Says who? At X-Wing scale an At-At is going to be about the size of the Outrider stood on its side, in other words, solidly the size of a large based ship. The At-At's clone wars precursor had weapons capable of damaging CAPITAL SHIPS if given a shot. Twin Pod Cloud Cars (the in universe equivalent of a standard police cruiser) had weaponry strong enough to be a concern to the Falcon with its military grade, capital ship shields. We know X-Wings can maneuver in atmosphere, so the fact that they DIDN'T just send X-Wings and Y-Wings to attack the At-Ats suggests that the Snowspeeder weapons were at least comparable.

Its really past time for the obsessive fanboys to realize that

1 - none of this is real. Its all made up and the people in charge of making it up can decide the capabilities of stuff however they like.

2 - some of the people who have made some of this stuff up in the past were idiots who couldn't take into account all the factors involved and deserve to have the stuff they made up changed, and

3 - this is a highly abstract GAME, not a simulation designed to model realistic probabilities. Stats are set based on what would be the most FUN. If someone in charge decides that making 1/270 scale AT-ATs for a game will be fun then it will happen.

Saying you don't think it will happen because FFG wants to keep the focus of X-Wing on space battles: perfectly fine argument against it. Saying you don't think it will happen because FFG's infrastructure can't handle another miniatures game: perfectly fine argument against it. Saying you don't think it will happen because FFG doesn't think it would sell well: perfectly fine argument against it (though fairly obviously false, given how often these threads pop up and the number of people who have created home brew rules to do just this). Saying it won't happen because it doesn't make sense based on (now invalidated) made-up numbers and rules that frequently contradict each other is just willful ignorance of reality.

Edited by Forgottenlore

Imperial Assault it a bit too small scale for AT-ATs, sadly. The AT-AT needs something larger than squad scale, but smaller than capital scale. X-wing is ideal IMO.

To match the speed, I'd think many ground units might either move or fire on a turn, but not both. Airspeeders and spaceships could work per normal X-wing rules.

They are not going to release a ground based walker for a space combat game, it just isn't going to happen.

This is a ridiculous statement. They will release whatever Disney tells them to release, and Disney will tell them to release whatever they put on the latest canon show or movie. See the wave coming soon based on Star Wars Rebels. Also note the shoehorned in new core set for TFA. Disney wants all your money and they will get it. Also, as others have said, we were "never" going to get a third faction, or Huge ships, but, womp womp womp, we did. Never say never.

If Disney is desperate enough that they need a hobby grade AT-AT model, and not just a toy from Hasbro, then I expect that they would talk to FFG about either getting it in a new game, perhaps even modeled after X-Wing, or they would fit it into IA, there is no way they are releasing at AT-AT for X-Wing.  The very idea is absurd. 

As for the huge ships, those were planned from the beginning.  In the early days they referred to the Millennium Falcon base as medium sized.  We knew that they would be doing large ships.  What many said, was that there was no way we were getting an ISD, which was absolutely correct.  Instead, FFG created the Raider.

I always thought FFG should do a 40K scale game for Star Wars. Since they already do a lot of 40K themed stuff, maybe they could license the rule system. 40K already has walker rules that are a shoe in for the AT-AT.

Primary weapon would be the Destroyer Laser Cannon, Twin Linked. Secondary two linked heavy laser canons. Troop Capacity 40. Troops depart by gravchute and have to make dangerous terrain checks.

Want to say armor 14 all round, but even that can be tickled to death with glancing shots from heavy laser cannons, so not perfect.

Idk what scale Imp Assault is bc I've never played it, but perhaps it will evolve into a larger game later. I know FFG has at least thought about the potential of a 40K scale game. Sure, only 2 factions, but that didn't stop X-Wing, and it didn't help Attack Wing, either.

AT-AT would be in palce at Imperial Assault. But yeah the scale is such that you need a huge miniature such as this one.

$T2eC16F,!yEE9s5jD(7MBRtJMmn7Zg~~60_35.J

Can't really tell the scale by this pic but even if it doesn't match Imperial Assault I still say it is large enough to feel good. Here is another picture to give you the real scale. The Wizzard of the Coast AT-St are the same size as IA AT-ST.

P1010105.JPG

That is a beautiful picture, btw. Exactly how I imagine an Apocalypse scale game of Star Wars 40K looking like.

Course they wouldn't call it that. Warhammer Long, Long Time Ago?

It's too bad WotC discontinued those minis, or I'd be buying them right now and using 40K rules.

Ok, so in order to shrug off lascannon (not HLC, my bad) shots like it did on Hoth, an AT-AT would need Armor 16, which is unheard of. Nothing in 40k has an AV higher than 14. Not even sure it should be that high, either. Perhaps you should be able to glance an AT-AT on 4s and get penetrating hits on 5 and 6. After all, those speeders only got a few pot shots on the side. A well aimed shot at the neck or head might do some serious damage, or at least disable a weapon or two.

Heart says:

I WANT AT-ATs! GIMME! GIMME! GIMME!

Brain says:

Looking at Micro Machine AT-ATs and Snow Speeders, I'd have to say the AT-AT would be "EPIC". This doesn't rule out its inclusion within the game. Think about it:

1. Epic ships have their own movement templates. FFG could give the AT-AT a unique marker that allows it to move, although its maximum speed would be a distance equal to 1 Speed maneuvers in X-Wing. But 0 maneuvers would be green.

2. Epic ships have their own damage cards. AT-AT would be no different.

3. All X-Wing expansions have their own upgrade and crew cards. As well as their own tokens. Large ships even have their own little rules leaflet, which I assume Epics get.

So the cold logical response is that an AT-AT expansion is very possible. Core rules remain the same for "Ground Wars". Asteroids would be high rocks, sand dunes, trees, buildings etc.

Snow Speeders and the Bespin cloud car would work the same as any X-Wing expansion. Speaking of cloud cars, clouds would obstruct but wouldn't cause damage unless it was a storm cloud. Some fun atmospheric rules potential, but I digress.

Speeder Bikes would be better off as three-per-base, allowing three attacks. Again, there's no reason for them not to move like any X-Wing expansion. Though I'd give them no shields and four agility. Either one hull, or give them three hull but each damage would reduce their attack, representing casualties.

Turrets don't move, and would be best using a form of energy to make shielding and firing a strategic decision. It's hard to be strategic with an immobile gun. But a command bunker, with a turret or two, could be a good "large base" support option. I can see jamming and slicer tools being bunker upgrades, among other support options.

AT-STs and Tanks would be slower than the starfighters and speeders, but quicker than an AT-AT. Otherwise they'd operate the same.

I'd say no to infantry. Save foot slogging for Imperial Assault.

Edited by Chief Thaal

I'd say no to infantry. Save foot slogging for Imperial Assault.

Just save ground combat for Imperial Assault, full stop.

They ARE... unless FFG goes Attack Wing AD&D... but if they did I would not care. I have already got my nice little $200'ish worth of LAND WAR Toys here in The Battle Parlor.

:lol:

AT-AT would be in palce at Imperial Assault. But yeah the scale is such that you need a huge miniature such as this one.

P1010105.JPG

Yup that picture has been floating around online for years... it is a good picture. I almost went that way myself. But I am very happy with the cute 6Inch AT-AT's. You can have more on the table.

:)

ARM%252520EMP%252520TIE%252520NEW.png                                   ARM%252520EMP%252520TIE%252520NEW.png

IMP%252520AT-AT.pngEMP%252520AT-ST%252520TROOP.png  EMP%252520AT-ST%252520ELITE%252520TROOP.IMP%252520VET%252520AT-AT.png  EMP%252520AT-ST%252520ELITE%252520TROOP.EMP%252520AT-ST%252520TROOP.pngIMP%252520AT-AT.png

ATATs would not work for Imperial assault.

I'm assuming you mean because of IAs dungeon crawl, scenario driven, grid based movement and rules and not just the size issue.

Because, as has been mentioned, there is already an IA scale At-At miniature (and it's really cool) that was produced for and used in a miniatures game and it worked just fine.

Who made it? Hasbro?!?

Yes, I meant due to how the game plays.

Yeah, it was made by Wizards of the Coast for their SW miniatures game. The pictures Marinealver posted in post # 27 is of it. Those are 25-28mm miniatures in that one picture, the AT-AT is around 14" tall.