Sign in to follow this  
Brunas

Viability of old and new ships; or the curious case of Ten Numb and Poe Dameron

I think one of the reasons we didn't see as much TIE/fo as we could/should have is that you need time and practice to grapple with their strengths- and they were too new to allow that time and practice. Were Worlds held today, I'd bet we would see a couple in the Top 16.

Relatedly: Juke and Coms relay came out after Words, and they are an amazing combo on the TIE/FO.

In terms of events I think it's always good to get the Nationals (Although the US one is a little restrictive since you have to attend GenCon) and Regional events. Store Champs are good depending on attendance. There will be some tiny store champs, but the one we just had for example had 45ish people. I think that is worth factoring.

Meanwhile my Ten Numb choice is not too long of a story. Basically I was having great results with Dash with Mangler and Predator and Chewbacca crew BEFORE the second core set and the half point large base rules came out. I played Chewie so I could burn him to prevent the Crits that make my secondary weapon fall off or that take away my EPT and Pilot Ability which cripple Dash. I was pairing Dash with two Blue Squadron BWings. The only thing that I would struggle against was Soontir and Whisper. So naturally I tried to find an equalizer against my worst match-up, which ended up being Ten Numb for me. I decided to sup him up with C3PO and Sensor jammer for the obvious survivability boost and everything was going well.

Once the second core released and the half point rule came in, I switch to R2-D2 crew since there were no longer crits that cripple Dash to make Chewie worth it AND I started going with Hull Upgrade (Even over Shield Upgrade so I can R2 sooner and get more mileage from him) to balance the math on the half points rule. Making Dash an 11 total AND having R2 regen a shield once I am at 5 of 11 damage helps keep Dash worth his full MOV. Of course once Worlds came around the prevalence of Soontir/Vader/Palp Shuttle was at an all-time high and my worst match up which was 4 TLTs, but I was still able to squeak out close wins against in testing so it led me to put my faith in Ten Numb. I knew a great TIE Swarm player was my other worst nightmare and of course I had to play one of the best, AND I only faced one Imp Aces list all day, BUT I figured the gamble of Ten Numb would be worth it. The other upside is that people don’t quite know how to deal with him since he is an uncommon play, plus Ten Numb is very good against “Random Stuff” thus I beat a Jake and Fat Han list and a Xizor Z Swarm list thanks to Ten Numb being a 10 PS jerk.

Like I said earlier, for now Ten has to take a break…stupid TIE fighters…once the new wave hits we’ll see if I go back to Ten Numb. I am sure one of those Ghost crew might go nice with him.  J

I'll get started on nationals and regionals, probably for the past year.at this point it's probably going to be faster to just write a few scripts to scrape every major tournament since wave 7.  Top cut is probably fine for getting lists from for regionals and nationals, but what do you think for store championships?  Top cut would also work here, but we'll probably get some bad lists with lucky breaks.  Maybe just the winner + runner up?  I'll have to take a look.

Thanks for the rundown of the list building process!  What made you decide to stick with Dash, by the way?  Changing the 2 Bs out for Ten Numb makes sense, just curious if you were tempted to keep the Bs/Numb and swap out dash for Poe + something, like a stressbot or generic TLT.

Oh, I don't know if Poe is the only great T-70 pilot. I'v flown Ello Asty a few times now.. and it's actually really good.

I reall like Ello Asty, but they at one point from Poe they suffer from second best syndrome, just like Turr, Juno, Echo, Eaden, etc.  If I want to fly their respective ship, I'm more than willing to make one point of space for the better pilot, so they only get flown in rare circumstances or if I want two of their ship.  I'd be curious to see if a Lieutenant Colzet style named pilot would have worked as well, something like 25 points PS3 and no EPT so you could use it for trashing PS2s and blocking everything else while still getting actions.

Edited by Brunas

Sorry for the double post, just wanted a seperate post for the update of scum worlds builds:

Scum

20 - Syndicate Thug, Autoblaster Turret
24 - Syndicate Thug, TLT
25 - Syndicate Thug, Unhinged Astromech
27 - Torkil Mux, Ion Cannon Turret, Moldy Crow
47 - IG-88BC, VI, FCS, Mangler, Autothrusters, IG-2000, Feedback Array
48 - IG-88AB, Crack Shot, HLC, FCS, Autothrusters, IG-2000
48 - IG-88BC, PtL, Mangler, Advanced Sensors, Autothrusters, IG-2000
49 - IG-88BC, VI, HLC, FCS, Autothrusters, IG-2000, Inertial Dampeners
49 - IG-88BC, VI, HLC, FCS, Autothrusters, IG-2000, Feedback Array
51 - IG-88BC, PtL, HLC, Advanced Sensors, Autothrusters, IG-2000
51 - IG-88B, Lone Wolf, FCS, HLC, Glitterstim, Autothrusters, IG-2000

There might be a couple of mistakes in there as the illicit slot was giving me trouble with formatting, but the general idea should be there.

Edited by Brunas

Thanks for the rundown of the list building process!  What made you decide to stick with Dash, by the way?  Changing the 2 Bs out for Ten Numb makes sense, just curious if you were tempted to keep the Bs/Numb and swap out dash for Poe + something, like a stressbot or generic TLT.

Dash is just really fun to fly and whenever I would fly casual games Dash would just dominate with his ability to turn and roll in circles. The dial and that large base barrel roll are just too good. Dash's ability to be versatile makes him hard to pass on.

The biggest reasons I stuck with Dash and continue to try and tweak around him at Tourneys especially is because he is an awesome "comeback" pilot. Dash will often be left by himself and can still sweep the board. I have had many come from behind wins thanks to his ability to crazy arc dodge and with Mangler instead of HLC I can hug at range 1 and abuse a ton of lower PS opponents. TLT Ys or HWKs which wreck Ten Numb are easily picked on in the end game by Dash.

I do continue to try different builds involving Ten Numb, but I haven't practiced enough to fly something random in a bigger tourney. I am currently trying to get a Biggs build, but I don't know if I'll ever be sold on it over Dash. So as of now, if I am flying Rebels with competitive intentions it will be Dash based first for the time being.

In terms of results for store champs, since they are still the same or similar "competitive levels" as Regionals/Nationals for the most part, I think you are good taking the full top cuts as long as attendance reaches a certain level. Some store champs get greater attendance than some regionals so I would not discount their value. I don't think random tourneys should be calculated though since people are usually much more willing to "test" new squads at these events.

Dash is just really fun to fly and whenever I would fly casual games Dash would just dominate with his ability to turn and roll in circles. The dial and that large base barrel roll are just too good. Dash's ability to be versatile makes him hard to pass on.

The biggest reasons I stuck with Dash and continue to try and tweak around him at Tourneys especially is because he is an awesome "comeback" pilot. Dash will often be left by himself and can still sweep the board. I have had many come from behind wins thanks to his ability to crazy arc dodge and with Mangler instead of HLC I can hug at range 1 and abuse a ton of lower PS opponents. TLT Ys or HWKs which wreck Ten Numb are easily picked on in the end game by Dash.

I do continue to try different builds involving Ten Numb, but I haven't practiced enough to fly something random in a bigger tourney. I am currently trying to get a Biggs build, but I don't know if I'll ever be sold on it over Dash. So as of now, if I am flying Rebels with competitive intentions it will be Dash based first for the time being.

In terms of results for store champs, since they are still the same or similar "competitive levels" as Regionals/Nationals for the most part, I think you are good taking the full top cuts as long as attendance reaches a certain level. Some store champs get greater attendance than some regionals so I would not discount their value. I don't think random tourneys should be calculated though since people are usually much more willing to "test" new squads at these events.

Forgot to say thanks for the writeup before!

I've also taken your suggestions and compiled the ships from everything I could find post-wave 7: nationals, worlds, and now store.  New thread is here: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/198506-the-ships-that-make-the-cut/with a lot more data and a lot less opinion from me  :)