Sign in to follow this  
mwellinger

Want to start playing X-wing... where to start

Hi everybody, I really would like to start playing this game but I am not quite sure where to start with purchases.  Of course I would grab a core set but what else would you recommend for a beginner player to be able to have a good time with a friend or alone?  Money isn't a huge issue but I don't want to go overboard either, I would like to buy a core set, possibly two from what I have read, and some expansion ships.  I am just wondering what you think would be the best expansions to start off with.  I definitely want more than one X-wing and two Tie fighters that come in the core set.  Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you so much!  This game looks really fun and it would be my first tabletop game that I have gotten into.  Im not sure if there is much of a community for it around where I live but I'm sure I could find people to play with.

There are others here with much more experience than I, but you asked. Since it sounds like you will be supplying everything to play I would definitely recommend a 2nd core. Preferably one red, one blue. There is plenty there for yor first few games. In addition to one on one death match there are also missions to run. After that I would get 1 TIE and 1 Xwing ex-pack. That will give you enough for basic (not ideal) 100pt. list for each side. MSRP would be about $110.00 US. After that, you will be have a much better idea of how you want to build your fleet.

The old and new cores give you six ships at a reasonable price that's not a bad start.

Ties alone Arnt enough so think about imp aces and a tie interceptor expansion, tie advanced are really good now you just need to proxy some cards.

And then there's my favourite ship the defender which just got awesome.

For rebels one e-wing is a good buy, as is rebel aces for farlander b-wings in general are good for a start.

And of course the falcon and outrider are option but may be frustrating for the imp while he learns hot to fly.

Unless you're playing competitively, you can buy and fly pretty much any combination of ships and have fun with it. The game is reasonably well balanced. There are, however, certain expansion that don't work all that well on their own. Specifically, I would probably avoid the TIE Interceptor, TIE Bomber, TIE Advanced, TIE Defender, E-Wing, Y-Wing and A-Wing expansions.

On the other hand, there are some sets that are clearly better, more varied and more immediately playable than others. Both starter sets are very good. If you have any interest in playing Rebels at all, pick up the Millennium Falcon, a T-70 X-Wing and Rebel Aces (in my opinion the best expansion in the game, and this is coming from an imperialist). B-Wings are also really solid, and the K-Wing has a great profile in Mirando Doni, as well as amazing upgrades for Y-Wings and Bombers. If you're into Rebels (the show, not the faction), the Ghost also looks like a lot of fun.

For the opposing side I would recommend Imperial Aces (not as good as Rebels, but comes with lots of interesting pilots and upgrades), both the old and the new TIE Fighter packs. The Decimator, Phantom and Punisher expansions are also highly playable right out of the box. Also, keep an eye out for the upcoming Inquisitor's TIE and Imperial Veterans expansions.

Edited by Okapi

Having just started. I bought from eBay. 2 old cores, MF, Slave 1, rebel aces, and individual ships.

Then holidays happened and I got the new core, Kwing, decimator, rebel aces, imperial aces.

Now I will sell the kit I got on eBay. I split it up to sell individual but could go all at once. I will keep one of the Oder cores though. Over time will get more. Want start smaller and grow into the game.

I would strongly agree with those suggesting a purchase of both core sets.  Between the two, you will have a good selection of ships/pilots, as well as a variety of upgrades.  It will also give you all the dice and templates you'll need to play at home.  After that, I would suggest the 'Aces' packs (both Imp and Reb) as well as the Falcon and Slave I.  That will give you more than enough to mix things up ship & upgrade wise while you get a handle on all the various rules.

I'd go for one of each of the 2 core sets like what some others have recommended. Give you enough stuff for 2 players so both have their own templates and dice and don't have to share which slow the game down.

If you decide you like it, and money isn't a problem, you will want to order as many boxed sets soon since you are buying from minaturemarket (before they are forced to cease their perma discounts - get your dicounts before that happens). 

Most Wanted is the most value for money for number of ships if it is in stock.

Rebel Aces, Imperial Aces enhance your core sets. (Although they work best if you have at least one TIE Interceptor, A-Wing and B-Wing expansion.

Large Ships cost at least double of a small ship expansion, but generally come with more cards. They include Milenium Falcon, Slave I, Lambda shuttle, YT-2400, VY-49 Decimator, IG-2000 (if you get this, do yourself a favor and get 2 - they work that well in pairs), Hounds Tooth. I don't recommend getting Huge Ships (Rebel Transport, Tantive VI, Imperial Raider, Imperial Assault carrier).