Sign in to follow this  
Plainsman

At which wave did you join XWing?

Jumped in at wave 3, got a core, falcon, y wing, tie expansion, tie advanced and tie bomber.

Shortlly after that i got everything that was out yet. Then i got both aces sets and the gr 75, and another core, y wing and bomber.

Never took much for stuff outside of the original trilogy. But am looking at newer stuff now to get some of the neweer "better" cards.

Sept of 2015, wave 7, been interested for a while and found great deals of buying ealier waves at nearly half price. Have nearly caught up on having at least one-two of each piece of each wave. Now I'm building tourney fleets and trying to start up on finding regional events to travel to.

Wave 1.  I saw it played at GenCon 2012, then placed my order at Amazon for the Core and all Wave 1 ships on 9/22/12.  (Why so specific?  I literally stumbled across the order page yesterday while looking for something else at Amazon.)

I didn't really start playing until 1/13, and I didn't play at all competitively until 1/14 store championship season.

Pretty sure it was Wave 6.  Cause StarVipers were already a thing, but TIE Punishers weren't yet.

I'd kinda gotten out of wargaming when I stopped playing Warhammer years ago.  But the tech school in my town has a wargaming convention ever year that I always go to.

Little showed up to it one year and lots of people I knew were playing this Star Wars game I never seen before.  Seemed cool at first.  Then I saw it had TIE Defenders.  Bought one just to have the model.  But that eventually made me look into the game more, and ended up picking it up.

Edited by DarthEnderX

Wave 1. 

I remember seeing a preview of them somewhere and thought.

"Well, if the game sucks, at least the miniatures will look good on my desk"

Never looked back, and my minis have never sat on my desk. 

I got in on the A-wing wave; technically that's wave 3. A bit before wave 4 was announced I think.

When I started I thought that all the expansions had been released in one hit and the game was complete. There weren't going to be any more ships, after all we had all the ships from the movies what else could there be?

Didn't take long to find out that the ships had been released in waves and there were more to come; expenses on X-wing have somewhat increased over what I originally expected :D

I got in on the A-wing wave; technically that's wave 3. A bit before wave 4 was announced I think.

When I started I thought that all the expansions had been released in one hit and the game was complete. There weren't going to be any more ships, after all we had all the ships from the movies what else could there be?

Didn't take long to find out that the ships had been released in waves and there were more to come; expenses on X-wing have somewhat increased over what I originally expected :D

Sounds like you got on wave 2. Wave 2 was the A wing and Falcon.

Wave 4, at the height of the Phantom meta.

The number of list archetypes seems much higher now. It's been a pleasure seeing this game grow so much in terms of diversity and sophistication over the past year and a bit.

A few months after Wave 6.

I'm not going to catch up. I never planned to buy everything: it's much too expensive, and there are diminishing returns.

The first time I buy a ship it opens up new experiences. My first bomb lets me play with bombs. My first turret lets me play with 360º firing. But when I buy something similar to what I already have, it gives me less. My second bomb lets me use bombs to ionize rather than damage. My second turret lets me get through evade dice and tokens but can only attack at range one. Yet I pay the same price for each expansion.

I think my imperial squad will be complete at 11 expansions with Imperial Veterans. I'll probably finish my scum squad around the same number. I have no interest in playing rebels.

Wave 1.

I had a hard time getting ahold of it as it was constantly out of stock everywhere. I ended up buying it in early 2013 off a friend who had bought in at Gencon. A little later on, wave 2 was released and more readily available and I was able to find things easier.

My son and I started at Wave 4! Luckily, we weren't too far behind the curve and managed to purchase all the ships right away. Plus the following waves came out slow enough we could purchase them in quantity when they came out.

I can't imagine jumping in as a newbie right now and trying to get caught up!

So when did you jump into the game, Wave 1, Wave 2, etc???

I came in as soon as Wave II was released... this is also when I discovered the game. I saw dat glorious Falcon & Slave on Amazon (completely by Force Driven Fate) while doing some window shopping for modeling supplies.

Glory ever since... and a whole lot of great heart lifting soul shining FUN!

:D

Sounds like you got on wave 2. Wave 2 was the A wing and Falcon.

Huh, so it was. The A-wing was the first ship I bought and I'm sure I remember the wave 4 announcement not long after I got the core set. That's probably why I think the A-wing is wave 3, that and my memory is rubbish :)

Started with wave one, when one of the local war gamer club members asked around who was interested (unfortunately the war gamer club has dissipated).  He ended up purchasing four core sets, one for each of us who were interested (he got paid back for each set). I've been playing and collecting and repainting on and off ever since.  We now have a group of 10 playing in a social league at the local FLGS, where the owner looks after us really well..

Edited by Flamestalker