Sign in to follow this  
Replicant253

Home One and Independence same ship

Just been reading Star Wars: essential guide to warfare and I note that The Independence is described as The Rebel Command ship and Ackbar's flag ship. No mention of Home One. So was Home One in fact the call sign for the Independence during the Battle of Endor? If so seems weird for FFG to over look.

Just been reading Star Wars: essential guide to warfare and I note that The Independence is described as The Rebel Command ship and Ackbar's flag ship. No mention of Home One. So was Home One in fact the call sign for the Independence during the Battle of Endor? If so seems weird for FFG to over look.

That is how I have always interpreted it, same as the Yavin base was "Base One", though way back when someone making up legends canon decided it was an actual name. I have also seen "medical frigate" claimed as the actual name of a ship instead of, you know, the term used to describe a frigate that was being used as a hospital ship.

I don't hold a lot of stuff from that era of the EU in very high regard.

Independence was an earlier flagship during the buildup of the Rebel fleet, and continued to serve as a secondary command vessel even after Ackbar transferred to the Home One (around the time of the Battle of Hoth, I believe).

EDIT: In regards to The Essential Guide to Warfare specifically, Home One is a different ship identified (in the italics denoting a ship's name) in the "Against the Warlords" section on page 189, in the bottom half of the second column.  The coverage of Endor was mainly from an Imperial perspective, so it's no surprise she was left out of that.

Edited by Joker Two

The german Star Wars wiki Jedipedia says, 3 MC80 Cruisers were used as command ships during the civil war - the Independence, the Defiance, and the Home One. So all the 3 Titles in Armada were capital/command ships for the Alliance in several space battles

Yeah Home One should always just have been left as the callsign of Alliance fleet command for the battle.

For an engagement that size fleet command would have been independent of the ship anyway - if you wanted to talk to Ackbar, by all means call Home One. If you want to talk to the ship you would call the captain of the Independence....

Independence was the flagship "Mission hub" for the X-Wing flight simulator. As a routing point for various things to do (training, historical missions, campaign) it can be understood as something important in the Rebellion and so became Ackbar's Flagship... I guess?

When the player selected the campaign tours they were dispatched to the Defiance, which was probably the home base for special assignments.

Then there's Home One, which appears to be treated as its own ship rather than a call sign recently. Phoenix One is a CR-90 from Rebels which appears to have no other name.

There was some debate for a while if the Independence or Defiance was blown up by the superlaser at Endor. I think legends said they had histories beyond Endor so neither of them were destroyed.

So does that mean I can run both titles simultaneously on a single cruiser?  That would be awesome! :P

Independence was the flagship "Mission hub" for the X-Wing flight simulator. As a routing point for various things to do (training, historical missions, campaign) it can be understood as something important in the Rebellion and so became Ackbar's Flagship... I guess?

When the player selected the campaign tours they were dispatched to the Defiance, which was probably the home base for special assignments.

Then there's Home One, which appears to be treated as its own ship rather than a call sign recently. Phoenix One is a CR-90 from Rebels which appears to have no other name.

There was some debate for a while if the Independence or Defiance was blown up by the superlaser at Endor. I think legends said they had histories beyond Endor so neither of them were destroyed.

Pretty sure Liberty was one of the winged ones that got blown up at Endor. Not sure what the other casualties were... 

Pretty sure Liberty was one of the winged ones that got blown up at Endor. Not sure what the other casualties were... 

We see the superlaser firing twice. The Liberty was the first target revealing the superlaser was operational. A later scene cuts from Endor to the superlaser firing, blowing up an MC80, right before Lando's dialogue telling Ackbar to close with the Imperial navy.

Independence was an earlier flagship during the buildup of the Rebel fleet, and continued to serve as a secondary command vessel even after Ackbar transferred to the Home One (around the time of the Battle of Hoth, I believe).

EDIT: In regards to The Essential Guide to Warfare specifically, Home One is a different ship identified (in the italics denoting a ship's name) in the "Against the Warlords" section on page 189, in the bottom half of the second column.  The coverage of Endor was mainly from an Imperial perspective, so it's no surprise she was left out of that.

Yep, both titles refer to different ships.