Sign in to follow this  
Warpman

And now Scyk, ladies and gentlepilots!

It's way easier to fix than nerf down. 4 HLCs, with goodies, is no joke. They were playing with fire with that ship.

It also makes us buy more ships! Where would the aces/veteran/large ship expansion packs come from if there were no needed fixes alongside them? :P

I'm fine with it though. Better they revisit the ships then leave them all behind to die.

It's way easier to fix than nerf down. 4 HLCs, with goodies, is no joke. They were playing with fire with that ship.

It also makes us buy more ships! Where would the aces/veteran/large ship expansion packs come from if there were no needed fixes alongside them? :P

I'm fine with it though. Better they revisit the ships then leave them all behind to die.

Yeah, I'm from the Games Workshop world, where some people waited for fixes to their favorite units for (no exaggeration) longer than X-wing has even been a game.

I think there is always a place in any game for flavor. Some of my friends would make amazingly fun Magic the Gathering decks with a thematic theme that eschewed any sense of competitive gaming. I think the Scyk fits that spot in X-Wing wonderfully. I like the idea of a less than state of the art ship put into service by wealthy crime bosses. To think that they even are able to field fighters hints at their impressive presence in the larger world of Star Wars. Besides, a kill in a Scyk is fairly gallant. 

Where are they passing out the "coolaid"?  Hype aside it looks cool and the dial looks good but not, "THE GREATEST DIAL EVER made" imo.

The green one hard turn is arguably what sets it apart however I think that this is a situational strength as opposed to an overall strength due to the lack of 2-3 greens.  I do like this ship but not nearly as much as all this hype going on lol.

I'm more looking forward to a curtain mod that comes with it =p.   

FFG seems to have a large blind spot with how to balance 3 Agility ships.  They have simultaneously been some of the best and worst pilots in the game, usually even while in the same ships.

It's a good dial, but not the greatest ever.  TIE/Fo, A-Wing, TIE Interceptor... those dials are crazy.  Heck, T-70 gets straight ones and the Tallon Roll.  The Inq's is up there, but it's not a definitive number one.  That hard green turn is **** snazzy, I'll give it that.

As for the Scyk... hey, I've used em' a couple times.  They're mostly "guilty as charged", but there's some mileage to be had.  Not a lot, but some.  As others have mentioned, it's also easier to buff something than make it crappier.  It's why B-Wings have been mostly untouched outside of being able to spend points for a single crew member, while the X-Wing is now getting its choice of Integrated Astromech or even Guidance Chimps.

My Scyk is jealous of those green 1-turns. You could go slow and Push the Limit to get fully modified Heavy Laser Cannon shots from a Tansarii Point Veteran. 

Still, the Scyk's day will come. I'm in no hurry to see it fixed. I'll just keep flying it in casual games for now.

To be fair, you can do Predator on TPVs right now and get close to fully modded shots right now, no stress to worry about.  

My Scyk is jealous of those green 1-turns. You could go slow and Push the Limit to get fully modified Heavy Laser Cannon shots from a Tansarii Point Veteran. 

Still, the Scyk's day will come. I'm in no hurry to see it fixed. I'll just keep flying it in casual games for now.

To be fair, you can do Predator on TPVs right now and get close to fully modded shots right now, no stress to worry about.  

True. I guess I don't think about that much because I have 2 Scyks but only one Predator and I'm swimming in Push the Limit cards.

So... Scum Aces around the corner with new toys for the Scyk and, I'd guess, StarViper?  

(Even though the StarViper is pretty solid as it is, I wouldn't complain about some upgrades for it and some new pilots to play with).

I actually wish the Star Viper got 1 green hard turns.  Now that there is a precedent for it, maybe its not just a fallacious dream?  Perhaps kill 2 mynoks with one bowcaster and have an upgrade that gives both the Scyk and Viper green hard turns.  I'd love that!

The Scyk does have something the TAP doesn't though: 5K turn (and 3 k-turn).  Its something anyway.

Edited by blade_mercurial

The TAP does have a really good dial and great options.  For it's cost I'm concerned that it may overshadow the Tie/fo though.

I have been trying to run Sycks more recently and I don't think they are terrible.  Their durability is poor because green dice are fickle and they rely on green dice to stay alive.  They aren't amazing either and the Syck could benefit from a few more pilots, of course a lot of Scum ships could also benefit from some new pilots.

I've been running either an HLC Syck or Mangler Syck in some lists where they can hang out in the back screened by other fighters up front.  You can shoot the Syck at range three where it has four green dice and a focus or you can shoot the Kihraxz and/or Headhunters at range one.  I can see it kind of working as a flanker as well but if you leave a Syck all alone they tend to get singled out and destroyed quickly because they are worth so many points.

I think part of the problem with the M3 is the players themselves. Now before you grab some rope and start looking for a tree, think for a minute. Would the ship be any good without the title card? Just a plain old M3-A. Yeah it is. Very similar in abilities and cost as a run of the mill Tie. A swarmable, light weight, expendable blocker.

Then you add in the title that lets this interceptor strap on some fire power. Now you're looking at the same ship but costing 6 to 9 points more. Still only 3 HP and with the stock dial. The cannon upgrades will give you one or two more combat turns than the missile armed variant but you're still flying the same light weight, expendable blocker.

I can see these being used by the S&V to take down a transport or one or two to provide some punch and overwatch going against a YT build or as the assault ac vs the Gozanti but they aren't hard enough for jousters or fast and agile enough to be good flankers.

When you ask for a "fix" you're basically asking for a new ship called the M3-A and using that model.

Edit: I do think they should access to the Illicit Upgrade.

Edited by Stoneface

I think part of the problem with the M3 is the players themselves. Now before you grab some rope and start looking for a tree, think for a minute. Would the ship be any good without the title card? Just a plain old M3-A. Yeah it is. Very similar in abilities and cost as a run of the mill Tie. A swarmable, light weight, expendable blocker.

Then you add in the title that lets this interceptor strap on some fire power. Now you're looking at the same ship but costing 6 to 9 points more. Still only 3 HP and with the stock dial. The cannon upgrades will give you one or two more combat turns than the missile armed variant but you're still flying the same light weight, expendable blocker.

I can see these being used by the S&V to take down a transport or one or two to provide some punch and overwatch going against a YT build or as the assault ac vs the Gozanti but they aren't hard enough for jousters or fast and agile enough to be good flankers.

When you ask for a "fix" you're basically asking for a new ship called the M3-A and using that model.

Edit: I do think they should access to the Illicit Upgrade.

At the swarm level 2 point over Tie sounds horrible, and lack of 3-turn or force multipier means they can't do formation runs, and lose to Ties in a dicefest. even if they were 12 points, not the 14 Howlie makes the Ties that much deadlier.

The ship is overpriced at 1-2 points

title is overpriced by 1-2 points.

guns cost points as well.

More than that, gun means they want to stay at R3, but they are also not 1-straight users to do it effectively

It is plainly awful when you think of it. A-wing costs 1 point more and is more awesome in like every regard.

Tie\FO? 1 point for a hull, segnor goodness, super green dial...

and now this.

scyk wasn't good back then, now it really looks like an awfully bad joke.

Can't really remember a ship that sucked more.