Sign in to follow this  
jjenks476

The Quest Championship!

100% agree with the hobbit quests (it's the main reason I don't like most of them).

But I love the Black Riders quests. I find them all to be maximal thematic, as the relativly strong combat aspect isn't really a problem for me. It's a basic game mechanic and quests with a low enemie count often turn out boring. Casually questing through without having to fear enemies would destroy the illusion of the scary black rider for me. But giving hobbits boni against higher threat enemies is a fair enough deal to symbolise, that you don't want to face these guys, but have to overcome your fear to win the scenario. Looking at the combat more of a "running away" than actually "killing" the riders helps too. Obviously you could ask why a dagger helps you at running away, but I guess it could help you climb ;)

Of Course it would have been awesome to make the black riders quests more or less combat free and I think there could have been a way to alter the gameplay so much, that you have a combat replacement, that doesn't abbadon the combat stats, so you could completly forget them, but you might as well keep it simple and straight out battle the riders, what is easier for new players, who, let's say, played the core set and then bought the black riders. Completly overthrowing the combat mechanism could easily confuse them. Writing this thinking about some custom rules for the black riders quests seems like an interesting idea...

As there wasn't a post for over a week, we could end the round I would say. I did count the votes and some match-ups  are very close (note that not everyone did vote in every match-up):

Wastes of Eriador vs Journey along the Anduin: 11 - 5

Battle of the 5 armies vs Massing at Osgiliath: 7 - 9

Helms Deep vs Foundations of Stone: 8 - 7

Siege of Cair Andros vs The 7th Level: 9 - 8

Hopefully I did not misscount a vote. If everything is correct we could advance to the next round I think (not trying to overtake jjenks476's threat; it just Looks like he doesn't have the time to finish the Championship, what would be sad, that far in it) already.) 

BoFA should've gotten further. It's interesting how many of the quests in the last round were evenly matched, but in this round I am predicting Wastes and Deep to take the wins by a large margin.

1. Wastes of Eriador

2. Helm's Deep

Wastes almost everybody? and still on?

You are crazy, i understood wastes was a long and annoying scenario.... -_-

My votes:

Massing

Cair Andros

Edited by Mndela

Wastes almost everybody? and still on?

You are crazy, i understood wastes was a long and annoying scenario.... -_-

I like Wastes of Eriador because it's unique. The idea of fighting off packs of wolves whose attack varies with time of day is way different than just another bunch of orcs.

Wastes popularity also surprises me. But I never really understood how the community views Massing at Osgiliath. I remember many people called it the most difficult quest ever, but it never seemed that difficult to me. Even now it is rated on quest companion as more difficult than Morgul Vale, Dol Guldur, The Dunland Trap and Into Ithilien.

I'm also a bit surprised about Cair Andros popularity considering it's random hatered for multi sphere decks which seems neither thematic nor fun to me. 

Still I think all top 10 quests in this competition are certainly among the best, so no real argument from me here.

No votes since 5 days, so I think we can close this round of voting and go into the final round.

Wastes of Eriador vs. Massing at Osgiliath: 5 - 9

Siege of Cair Andros vs Helm's Deep: 6 - 7 (1 abstention from voting)

If I did count correctly out final is:

Massing at Osgiliath vs. Helm's Deep

What a matchup! One of the oldest against one of the newest quests! PoD against Saga! But both on the harder side.

The 3rd place match would be:

Wastes of Eriador vs. Siege of Cair Andros