Sign in to follow this  
jjenks476

The Quest Championship!

1.  Wastes of Eriador: My favorite quest from the cycle.  Challenging but fun, with some unique mechanics and a thematic feel.

2. Trouble in Tharbad:  Easy, but unique and fun.  A quest I'll play when I want a quick, relaxing game.

3. Intruders in Chetwood: A great quest for messing around with engagement mechanics

4. Massing at Osiliath: One of my favorites, and a great quest to test decks again.

5. Seventh Level:  Hard call here, but I like the theme of Khazad Dum that Seventh Level brings out.

6. Helms Deep: An excellent quest that truly captures the epicness of the moment.

7. Foundations of Stone: Win or lose, this quest rarely disappoints.

8. Three Trials: Two Unique and fun quests, and it's a shame that one has to lose so early. I like the guardian battle/barrow pairing just a bit better.

9. Journey in the Dark: The best take on the Balrog, and it's a real accomplishment to defeat the thing.

10. Journey Down the Anduin: The classic.  Still fun to replay.

11. Steward’s Fear: I haven't played Battle of Lake Town, and I enjoy Steward's Fear.

12. The Druaden Forest: Not a huge fan of either quest, but I'll give it to this one.

13. Flight to the Ford: I actually dislike Shadow of the Past.  It tends to get bogged down, especially on the last stage.  So I'll take Flight to the Ford, which is the polar opposite: a mad dash to the finish.

14. Battle of 5 Armies: An excellent quest, the best out of the Hobbit saga boxes.

15. Siege of Cair Andros: It's a shame these two quests are pitted against each other, because I enjoy the siege mechanic.  I'll pick the quest that utilizes it better, especially in nightmare.

16. Encounter at Amon Din: Haven't played Journey at the Crossroads yet, and Amon Din is fun.

1.  Across Ettenmoors

2. Breaking of Fellowship

3. Intruders in Chetwood

4. Massing at Osiliath

5. Seventh level

6. Morgul Vale

7. Foundations of Stone

8. Mount Gram

9. Battle of Carn Dum

10. Journey Down the Anduin

11. Steward’s Fear

12. The Druaden Forest

13. Shadow of the Past

14. Battle of 5 Armies

15. Blood of Gondor

16. Encounter at Amun Dun

If none of them are bolded that means I haven't played one or both of the quests:

1.  Across Ettenmoors vs. Wastes of Eriador

2. Trouble in Tharbad vs. Breaking of Fellowship

3. Intruders in Chetwood vs. Fog on the Barrow Downs

4. Massing at Osiliath vs. Conflict at the Carrock

5. Seventh level vs. Stone of Erech

6. Morgul Vale vs. Helms Deep

7. Foundations of Stone vs. Into Ithilien

8. Three Trials vs. Mount Gram

9. Battle of Carn Dum vs. Journey in the Dark

10. Knife in the Dark vs. Journey Down the Anduin

11. Steward’s Fear vs. Battle of Lake Town

12. Flight From Moria vs. The Druaden Forest

13. Flight to the Ford vs. Shadow of the Past

14. Battle of 5 Armies vs. Redhorn Gate

15. Blood of Gondor vs. Siege of Cair Andros

16. Journey at the Crossroads vs. Encounter at Amun Dun

1. across ettenmoors

2. trouble in tharbad

3. fog on the barrowdowns

4. conflict carrock

5. 7th level

6. morgul vale

7. foundations of stone

8. three trials

9. journey in the dark

10. knife in the dark

11. stewards fear

12. druadan forest

13. shadow of the past

14. battle 5 armies

15. blood of gondor

16. Amon din

What happend to murder at the prancing pony?

1.  Across the Ettenmoors vs Wastes of Eriador: I'm always partial to quests that include a different type of enemy, so this is a tough choice. But I think the massing Wargs make for a better fight than the Trolls & Giants.

2. Trouble in Tharbad vs. Breaking of Fellowship: Abstaining from voting. Neither of these really did anything for me. Maybe it's time to replay them?

3. Intruders in Chetwood vs. Fog on the Barrow Downs: The PoD scenarios will almost always win for me. They're tougher, they're thematic, and they're not linked to any Deluxe Expansion. It's just a more unique feel to the game and by nature have more though-out story lines and better constructed encounter decks.

4. Massing at Osgiliath vs. Conflict at the Carrock: Carrock just feels passe at this point. Yeah it was tough, but it's gotten easier, and it feels too side-questy. It's just combat against 4 Trolls, each time. There's very little randomness, unless you count discovering Grimbeorn but with today's cardpool, that's hardly necessary anymore.

5. Seventh Level vs. Stone of Erech: I absolutely love the Time mechanics in this game. And it was Undead enemies before we really had a full plate of those.

6. Morgul Vale vs. Helm's Deep: I hated the Morgul Vale when I first played it. I still don't like it that much, as just an endless series of boss-fights. The Bodyguards are more frustrating than anything else, and feels like a cheap mechanic to make the quest tougher.

7. Foundations of Stone vs. Into Ithilien: Currently my vote for the overall winner! Such a great mechanic, and especially adding in Nightmare Mode makes this quest a home run. Imagine being swept away from your fellow travellers and landing in a cave full of nightmarish ancient monsters. Great stuff.

8. Three Trials vs. Escape from Mount Gram: I don't like escape quests, in video games or card games. They're boring to me. Too formulaic.

9. Battle of Carn Dum vs. Journey in the Dark: Carn Dum is too tough - which isn't necessarily a bad thing in this game, but it's so pigeon-holed into one solution. Plus, Moria is my favorite part of the entire book series.

10. Knife in the Dark vs. Journey Down the Anduin: I like the massing of enemies on stage 2. It's a cool approach to the theme of the story. Knife in the Dark seemed to depart too much from the books. But honestly, I don't care for either of these too much.

11. Steward’s Fear vs. Battle of Lake Town: I want to vote for both! Lake-Town is such an awesome twist on a boss fight. Defending locations instead of characters. Steward's Fear, though, as insanely tough as it is for solo one-handed, is another thematic home run. I just wish the Underworld deck had more diverse cards than just the warmed-over Thugs we saw in Pelargir.

12. Flight From Moria vs. The Druadan Forest: Anything in forests is a winner for me. It makes my mono-Lore Ranger Trap deck super thematic, though the Prowl mechanic was just not really difficult to manage at all, unfortunately.

13. Flight to the Ford vs. Shadow of the Past: Declining from voting. The player cards in the first LotR Saga we great, but these quests were both a miss for me.

14. Battle of 5 Armies vs. Redhorn Gate: This is the only quest I've played to date that I can remember losing a hero and feeling pretty OK with it. Not because it was easy - losing Dain Ironfoot on stage 2! - but how much it fit the storyline of the cards. Freezing Cold, Avalanches. Even a Dwarven king would die of hypothermia under those snowdrifts.

15. Blood of Gondor vs. Siege of Cair Andros: I remember the first time my wife saw me playing this game, it was Blood of Gondor. And she was absolutely petrified of being taught to play, with cards upside down all over the place. Cair Andros wins for me, though, because of the neat idea of removing quest phases as you successfully retake each portion of the city.

16. Journey to the Crossroads vs. Encounter at Amon Din: Both great thematic quests whose mechanic play well with the story idea, but Cross-roads was more of an appreciated challenge. Amon Din feels more personable, trying to prevent villagers from burning to death, but the first time I played it, I think I had rescued 25 villagers and lost 2, and that was really without deck-building too much.

1. Wastes of Eriador

2. Breaking of Fellowship: I’ve only played this quest once. It was a 4-player game with Caleb Grace at worlds. It was so much fun, I’m nervous about going back and playing it again.

3. Intruders in Chetwood: Both quests are “meh” for me. I suppose I’ve played this quest more

4. Massing at Osiliath: The OG GenCon quest, much loved and adored

5. Seventh level: SoE is a better designed quest, but building a deck to thrash goblin weenies is a Guilt pleasure on mine. Sometimes I’ll just keep playing once I’ve won and increase the number of revealed cards each round to see how far I can get.

6. Helms Deep: I played only this quest for two weeks straight and still love going back to it

7. Foundations of Stone: I can actually win this quest

8. Mount Gram:

9. Battle of Carn Dum:

10. Journey Down the Anduin:

11. Steward’s Fear: I can actually win this quest

12. The Druaden Forest:

13. Shadow of the Past:

14. (The) Battle of (the) Five Armies: ;)

15. Blood of Gondor: Try this quest with a mono-tactics deck, it’s a ton of fun

16. Encounter at Amon Din: I love teaching the game with this quest

7. Foundations of Stone: I can actually win this quest

*Snip*

11. Steward’s Fear: I can actually win this quest

And yet you voted for Carn Dum?
It's easier than Siege of Cair Andros.

Really? Carn Dum is harder than even nightmare Cari Andros, in my opinion. But I love them both  :D

Nightmare Carn Dum is going to be insane, that we can agree on.

I'm pretty sure they accidentally released the Nightmare version in the regular AP.  So instead of releasing a harder "Nightmare" version, they will release an easier "Daydream" version.

Edited by Teamjimby

New Round!!

1. Wastes of Eriador vs. Flight to the Ford

2. Trouble in Tharbad vs. Seventh Level

3. Fog on the Barrow Downs vs. Massing at Osgiliath

4. Helms Deep vs. Encounter at Amon Dun

5. Foundations of Stone vs. Stewards Fear

6. Three Trials vs. Siege of Cair Andros

7. Journey in the Dark vs. Battle of 5 Armies

8. Druaden Forest vs. Journey Down the Anduin

1. Wastes of Eriador - Best quest of this cycle, and Flight has a lot of competition from a lot of better Saga quests.

2. Seventh Level - In NM Trouble has a better shot, but it still can't compare.

3. Fog on the Barrow Downs - The 2 POD's going at it!

4. Helms Deep - This should be a blowout

5. Stewards Fear

6. Three Trials - Amazing boss quest with lots of dynamism. 

7. Journey in the Dark - Favorite Moria quest vs best of the below par Hobbit quests

8. Druaden Forest is a unique take on the quest and very well implemented.

1. Wastes of Eriador vs. Flight to the Ford - Flight is my least liked quest from the black riders and Wastes is really good.

2. Trouble in Tharbad vs. Seventh Level - Again I don't know NM Tharbad, but the normal Version is too easy and while 7th Level isn't too brutal neither I had more fun slaying all These orcs.

3. Fog on the Barrow Downs vs. Massing at Osgiliath - In my opinion Barrow Downs has the better atmosphere, while both quests are equal in difficulty.

4. Helms Deep vs. Encounter at Amon Dun - No question here, right?

5. Foundations of Stone vs. Stewards Fear - Hard decision, but Steward has the better solo experience​.

6. Three Trials vs. Siege of Cair Andros - Cair Andros is tough, thematic and a real classic. Trials misses mostly the theme for me. ​

7. Journey in the Dark vs. Battle of 5 Armies - Have to vote for my favorite quest :)

8. Druaden Forest vs. Journey Down the Anduin - The ravages of time weren't to kind to Anduin. It's a well-rounded classic, but thats it. Druadan has something unique and both quests have some Auto loss cards, if they appear in the first round.

1. Wastes of Eriador vs. Flight to the Ford - Tough choice, but I've had a lot of memorable experiences on the last stage of Flight to the Ford when all of the Nazgul appear.

2. Trouble in Tharbad vs. Seventh Level - For some reason I never got into Trouble in Tharbad.  Maybe it's because I play secrecy a lot and the built in threat reduction felt like cheating with a secrecy deck.

3. Fog on the Barrow Downs vs. Massing at Osgiliath - Separate staging areas is my favorite aspect of quests.

4. Helms Deep vs. Encounter at Amon Dun - This is closer for me than it probably is for most people.  If Amon Din was a touch harder, I think it could be a real gem.

5. Foundations of Stone vs. Stewards Fear - These are both in my top 5.  I'll take separate staging areas over unpredictable quest outcomes.

6. Three Trials vs. Siege of Cair Andros - I really don't like quests that start with battle or siege.  It limits deckbuilding too much.

7. Journey in the Dark vs. Battle of 5 Armies - I love the impending sense of doom.

8. Druaden Forest vs. Journey Down the Anduin - I'd vote Druadan if it scaled better.  Too easy in solo, insanely difficult at 3-4 player.

1. Wastes of eriador

2. Trouble in Tharbad

3. Fog on the barrow downs

4. Helms deep

5. Foundations of stone

6. Three trials

7. Journey in the dark

8. Druadan forest

If Stewards fear is beating Foundations of Stone here, it will win the championship me thinks.

1. Flight to the Ford

2. Seventh Level

3. Massing at Osgiliath

4. Encounter at Amon Dun

5. Stewards Fear

6. Siege of Cair Andros

7. Battle of 5 Armies

8. Journey Down the Anduin

1. Wastes of Eriador vs. Flight to the Ford - The Nazgul in this game bore me. Go Wastes!

2. Trouble in Tharbad vs. Seventh Level - It's a classic. Tharbad might have scored higher had it been released earlier. Now it's just the 'easy' quest of the ringmaker cycle.

5. Foundations of Stone vs. Stewards Fear - Foundations of Stone remains enjoyable today

6. Three Trials vs. Siege of Cair Andros - Siege would be my favorite where it not for a few bs cards

8. Druaden Forest vs. Journey Down the Anduin - Go classic!