Sign in to follow this  
jjenks476

The Quest Championship!

Yeah I'm a bit surprised at the popularity of the Saga and POD quests. Its interesting to see a lot of people seem to like the Dwarrowdelf cycle a lot. My least favorite cycle in terms of quests is Mirkwood, followed by Angmar Awakened. Maybe because they are still new and haven't really sunk in yet, but so far the new cycle doesn't seem to be too popular.

I base my answers off how well the scenario is put together in terms of thematic consistency. By nature of being pulled straight from the source novels, the Saga ones fit neatly into that criteria. And since the GenCon quests don't depend on encounter cards available in prior deluxe expansions like the AP's do, they also trends to feel more consistent and well-thought-out. I prefer quests that can leave you feeling like you got immersed in a story and not in a puzzle.

Road to Rivendell probably doesn't work as well as some other quests by that logic, but still for whatever reason it is my absolute favorite.

Massing at Osgiliath

The Siege of Cair Andros

Into Ithilien

Journey Along the Anduin

Foundations of Stone

Conflict at the Carrock

Battle of Five Armies

The Three Trials

A Shadow of the Past

The Steward's Fear

Have to say, I kind of wish the Quest Championship could just run like the Hero and Unique Ally Championships, with a full knockout bracket. I find it interesting going through a series of matchups, and tat tends to be easier than just picking a top 10 out of thin air, where I feel like there are more quests which deserve recognition but I've run out of spaces.

Massing at Osgiliath

Foundations of Stone

Siege of Cair Andros

The Steward's Fear

Assault on Osgiliath

The Three Trials

Intruders in Chetwood

The Weather Hills

Journey in the Dark

Helm's Deep

(Honourable mentions to Into Ithilien, The Antlered Crown, and Fog on the Barrow Downs. Also some of the recent quests from Angmar Awakened I enjoyed a lot but I haven't played them enough times to really feel I can confidently place them in my top ten)

I was originally concerned people wouldn't want to vote on all 60+ quests, especially since people may not have played all of them. This way the most popular get voted on, meaning a majority of people have played them, since they voted for them.

I've always liked dwarrodelf and the sagas, and my favourites tend to change, but the ones I find myself playing most often are probably:

Into the pit

Flight from moria

Foundations of stone

Shadow and flame

Seige of cair Andros

The Stewards fear

Shadow of the past

A knife in the dark

Helms deep

Battle of five armies

That said, I've barely played the quests from the last two cycles, as I just haven't had the time.

Really almost impossible to pick (which is a good thing) but here we go:

Foundations of Stone

The Steward's Fear

The Morgul Vale

The Three Trials

Escape from Mount Gram

The Battle of Carn Dum

Journey in the Dark

Helm's Deep

The Battle of Lake-town

Ruins of Belegost

The first round of voting is closed, and I had to include a few more quests as a few were tied at the bottom of the list. Just copy and paste your favorite in each match-up. Feel free to explain your choices.

1.  Across Ettenmoors vs. Wastes of Eriador

2. Trouble in Tharbad vs. Breaking of Fellowship

3. Intruders in Chetwood vs. Fog on the Barrow Downs

4. Massing at Osiliath vs. Conflict at the Carrock

5. Seventh level vs. Stone of Erech

6. Morgul Vale vs. Helms Deep

7. Foundations of Stone vs. Into Ithilien

8. Three Trials vs. Mount Gram

9. Battle of Carn Dum vs. Journey in the Dark

10. Knife in the Dark vs. Journey Down the Anduin

11. Steward’s Fear vs. Battle of Lake Town

12. Flight From Moria vs. The Druaden Forest

13. Flight to the Ford vs. Shadow of the Past

14. Battle of 5 Armies vs. Redhorn Gate

15. Blood of Gondor vs. Siege of Cair Andros

16. Journey at the Crossroads vs. Encounter at Amun Dun

1. Across Etternmoors because giants.

2. Trouble in Tharbad because stealth.

3. Fog on the Barrow Downs because wights.

4. Massing at Osgiliath because scales better.

5. Stone of Erech because fighting with willpower.

6. Morgul Vale because never played Helms Deep.

7. Foundations of Stone because namelessness.

8. Escape from Mount Gram because Chrono Trigger.

9. Battle of Carn Dum because hurt.

10. Journey Down the Anduin because classics.

11. Stewards Fear because dark conspiracy takes root.

12. The Drudan Forest because woses.

13. Flight to the Ford because sense of urgency.

14. Battle of 5 Armies because grand scale.

15. Blood of Gondor because a lot of hidden stuff.

16. Encounter at Amon Din because a breath of relief.

1. Wastes of Eriador - The day/night mechanic in this game is really unique and ratchets up the tension in a fun way. Plus only being able to quest every other turn makes placing progress during that time so critical for success. I also enjoy the aspect of not being able to cancel treacheries at night as it allows me an excuse to forgo A Test of Will from my decks. Across the Ettenmoors was really disappointing in how easy it was.

2. Trouble in Tharbad - The NM version adds some much needed difficulty to this enjoyable but easy quest. I enjoyed the mechanics of this quest a lot but found it too bland, the enemies weren't that interesting. NM added in a diverse set of new enemies and interesting treacheries that make you feel like your in a city being hunted.

3. Fog on the Barrow Downs - I like the separation aspect introduced in Foundations but it is not always done right, as in Breaking of the Fellowship. Here it fits, and feels perilous because you never know when you will be separated from your friends.

4. Conflict at the Carrock - This quest is just a blast and I love how simple it is, build up over a few turns than an epic troll smashing.

5. Seventh Level - Stone of Erech never really clicked for me, though I'm not sure why... Seventh Level is the go to quest for swarms of low engagement cost enemies..

6. Morgul Vale - This is the toughest one for me so far. Helm's Deep is appropriately epic, but I've had some of my most memorable moments fighting against Murzag and the Nazgul.

7. Into Ithilien - I started this game right after ATS cycle and this was one of the first quests I played. I was destroyed many times by this quest until I finally completed it. This quest taught me how to play successfully in this game.

8. Three Trials - This is the best quest from Ringmaker cycle in terms of theme and ingenuity. The 3 boss fights are diverse and engaging. Mount Gram really felt flat too me.

9. Battle of Carn Dum - These quests are both difficult, but Carn Dum revitalized this recent cycle, and really feels fresh and challenging. I was getting to the point where only NM or saga quests really are challenging, until this one. Bring on the level 8's!

10. Knife in the Dark - Best saga quest. Thematic and oh so juicy.

11. Steward's Fear - The feel of this quest is great, and really scratches a city, treachery itch I occasionally get. Can't wait to try Murder a the Prancing Pony.

12. The Druaden Forest - In NM mode this quest fundamentally alters how the game is played, by not allowing hero's to collect a resource every phase, meaning you have to gain resources solely through card effects. This leads to some great decisions.

13. Flight to the Ford - Race mechanics are always fun, and feels thematic.

14. Redhorn Gate - The art in the NM version is impeccable.

15. Blood of Gondor - I always come back to this quest to serve me humble pie, as I am generally trounced by it, but it burns so good.

16. Journey at the Crossroads - Epic ambush quest, and the stress is really on to deal with those Oliphaunts.

Edited by jjenks476

1. Across Ettenmoors vs. Wastes of Eriador (safe locations > day/night mechanics)

2. Trouble in Tharbad vs. Breaking of Fellowship (cool and really challenging in a different way [NM])

3. Intruders in Chetwood vs. Fog on the Barrow Downs (fun vs. boredom)

4. Massing at Osiliath vs. Conflict at the Carrock (classic and fun big battle!)

5. Seventh level vs. Stone of Erech (still cool in NM vs. boring with nowadays card pool)

6. Morgul Vale vs. Helms Deep (challenging big battle)

7. Foundations of Stone vs. Into Ithilien (such a classic!)

8. Three Trials vs. Mount Gram (both are fun but Mount Gram is not enough of a challenge--maybe NM will!)

9. Battle of Carn Dum vs. Journey in the Dark (yep, I liked this challenge as well)

10. Knife in the Dark vs. Journey Down the Anduin (classic.)

11. Steward’s Fear vs. Battle of Lake Town (replayability!)

12. Flight From Moria vs. The Druaden Forest (same! [NM])

13. Flight to the Ford vs. Shadow of the Past (hmm, just a bit more tension and a tad cooler)

14. Battle of 5 Armies vs. Redhorn Gate (played neither of them)

15. Blood of Gondor vs. Siege of Cair Andros (cool quest in NM mode)

16. Journey at the Crossroads vs. Encounter at Amun Dun (haven't beaten this one yet. :))

1.  Wastes of Eriador

2. Breaking of Fellowship

3. Fog on the Barrow Downs

4. MConflict at the Carrock

5. Seventh level

6. Helms Deep

7. Foundations of Stone

8. Three Trials

9. Journey in the Dark

10. Journey Down the Anduin

11. Steward’s Fear

12. Flight From Moria

13. Shadow of the Past

14. Battle of 5 Armies

15. Siege of Cair Andros

16. Journey at the Crossroads

I only played the normal versions of the quest, never NM.

1.  Across Ettenmoors vs. Wastes of Eriador - Day-Night-Cycle!

2. Trouble in Tharbad vs. Breaking of Fellowship - Challenge and theme beat cool mechanics

3. Intruders in Chetwood vs. Fog on the Barrow Downs - I like fighting undeads :D

4. Massing at Osiliath vs. Conflict at the Carrock - The first and one of the best "boss-battles". Back when I only had the coreset and thhe first 2 Adventure packs it was a real blast to get Beorn without a Leadership hero :)

5. Seventh level vs. Stone of Erech - More or less the oposite of CatC, but not less fun.

6. Morgul Vale vs. Helms Deep - Hardest vote this round! But I will go with Helms Deep as you really get this "just a Little bit longer, just survive!"-feeling

7. Foundations of Stone vs. Into Ithilien - Foundations is a solid quest and I never really fell in love with Into Ithlien.

8. Three Trials vs. Mount Gram - I'm voting for the Idea here. Even though it's probably to easy it's a cool idea (I hope NM will improve the quest). Three Trials is a quest that really annoyed me when I first played it, not knowing what was about to come. We were just a locaation and 1 Progress away from winning and this Guardians all revive? We won in the end, but we felt it took an unnessesary Long time as we coundn't survive 2 attacks from each Guardian in one round and had to take them out 1 by 1.

9. Battle of Carn Dum vs. Journey in the Dark - My favorite quest (at the Moment :D​)

10. Knife in the Dark vs. Journey Down the Anduin - 2nd best Saga quest! Anduin is a real classic, but that's not enough in a Championship like this.

11. Steward’s Fear vs. Battle of Lake Town - One of my favorites from the AtS-Cycle and with a great Feeling and replayability. Once you know Laketown it looses pretty much of it's challenge.

12. Flight From Moria vs. The Druaden Forest -​ Most of the time I hate getting punished for having to many Cards (Dunland-trap...) or being to slow (VoI + Ringmaker...), but somehow Druadan forest didn't have this effect on me and flight from Moria is to random for my liking

13. Flight to the Ford vs. Shadow of the Past - I would vote for Shadow, but I had one of my best Moments in FttF: The Ring calls them made me engage 3 Black Riders (I only could have engaged one), what lead to Merry + 2 hitches and a sneak attacked beorn killing them all of, giving me an Encounter card free playarea :D.

14. Battle of 5 Armies vs. Redhorn Gate - Battle is the best Hobbit quest in my opinion and Redhorn Gate "just" a qualitiy quest.

15. Blood of Gondor vs. Siege of Cair Andros - God what did I hate this quest (SoCA), but the joy after finally beating it! Like Dark Souls, just as a Card game. ​

16. Journey at the Crossroads vs. Encounter at Amun Dun - EaAD isn't a really memorable quest and Crossroads Transports the ambush Feeling the way I wished Into Ithilien would have done.

I already would like to thank jjenks476 for starting this, as it makes me want to play many quests I haven't touched in a long time!

1.  Wastes of Eriador - The Day/Night is awesome, but I wish the quest was actually winnable in 4 player.  I did like the safe locations in Ettenmoors, but the rest of the quest is pretty 'meh'.

2. Breaking of Fellowship - Multiple staging areas is always a crowd pleaser.

3. Fog on the Barrow Downs - See above

4. Conflict at the Carrock - Only played Massing once, and Conflict is a classic.

5. Seventh level - Tough call.  Stone of Erech is good, but I've played Seventh Level at least 10x as many times.

6. Helms Deep - Instant classic.  Morgul Vale is good, but there are some cards in that quest that are straight up bad design, imo.

7. Foundations of Stone - The original and best quest with multiple staging areas.

8. Three Trials - Has good replayability and Mt Gram was too easy (although an awesome idea)

9. Journey in the Dark - I do actually like Carn Dum, but Journey in the Dark has such a sense of impending doom.

10. Journey Down the Anduin - Both are good quests, but I'll go with the original classic.

11. Steward’s Fear - Best of the cycle vs a very one dimensional quest.

12. Flight From Moria - I like Druadan with 2 players, but I've had too many first turn losses in 3-4 player.

13. Shadow of the Past - Such a great, atmospheric beginning to the saga campaign.

14. Battle of 5 Armies - The best quest from the Hobbit boxes.

15. Siege of Cair Andros - I really dislike both of these quests.  I guess Cair Andros is slightly more interesting.

16. Encounter at Amun Dun - Fun theme, but a bit on the easy side.  Haven't played Journey at the Crossroads yet.

Yeah I'm a bit surprised at the popularity of the Saga and POD quests. Its interesting to see a lot of people seem to like the Dwarrowdelf cycle a lot. My least favorite cycle in terms of quests is Mirkwood, followed by Angmar Awakened. Maybe because they are still new and haven't really sunk in yet, but so far the new cycle doesn't seem to be too popular.

It's possible that several people voting still haven't played the new quests yet.   Also, just a suggestion since this thread will likely get to many pages in length, please update u'r first post with the current vote/bracket as it will likely get lost quickly.   Thanks!

1.  Across Ettenmoors vs. Wastes of Eriador

2. Trouble in Tharbad vs. Breaking of Fellowship

4. Massing at Osiliath

5. Stone of Erech - This is a hard choice for me.  Seventh is an old love, but Stone introduced the specter keyword. Brilliant! 

6. Helms Deep

7. Foundations of Stone

8. Three Trials - another close one, the random replay-ability of Three Trials pushes it ahead

9. Battle of Carn Dum

11. Battle of Lake Town - replay-ability vs Smaug, ah! how can I choose?!   Steward's is one of my favorite "go-to" quests, but Lake Town is so fun and challenging, I think it needs to win.

12. Flight From Moria

13. Flight to the Ford

14. Battle of 5 Armies

15. Siege of Cair Andros

1. Wastes of Eriador

2. Trouble in Tharbad 

3. Intruders in Chetwood

4. Massing at Osiliath 

5. Stone of Erech

6. Morgul Vale

7. Into Ithilien

8. Mount Gram

9. Journey in the Dark

11. Steward’s Fear 

12. The Druadan Forest

13. Flight to the Ford 

14. Battle of 5 Armies 

15. Blood of Gondor 

16. Encounter at Amon Dín

1. Wastes of Eriador

4. Massing at Osiliath

5. Stone of Erech

6. Helms Deep

7. Foundations of Stone

8. Three Trials

9. Journey in the Dark

10. Knife in the Dark

11. Steward’s Fear

12. Flight From Moria

13. Shadow of the Past

14. Battle of 5 Armies

15. Siege of Cair Andros

16. Encounter at Amun Dun

The last one i have to vote for Encounter by default, as I've not had the time to play Crossroads yet, even though I suspect I'll prefer it.

1. No vote (haven't played either quest yet)

2. No vote

3. No vote

4. Massing at Osgiliath

5. No vote (have played Seventh level, but not Stone of Erech)

6. No vote (have played Morgul Vale, but not Helms Deep)

7. Foundations of Stone

8. No vote (have played neither)

9. No vote

10. No vote (have played Anduin, not Journey in the Dark)

11. Steward’s Fear due to the multitude of possible endings

12. Flight From Moria

13. No vote

14. Redhorn Gate

15. Siege of Cair Andros

16. No vote (have played Amon Din, not Journey at the Crossroads)

Since I haven't played all quests, I can't vote on every line. 

1.  Across Ettenmoors vs. Wastes of Eriador   -  While Ettenmoors really has a nice LotR feel to it, it needs to be played in a series to really feel the exhaustion. Eriador is just garanteed badass.

2. Trouble in Tharbad vs. Breaking of Fellowship -

3. Intruders in Chetwood vs. Fog on the Barrow Downs -

4. Massing at Osiliath vs. Conflict at the Carrock - Massing has one of the best different stages mechanic. From skirmishes with the scouts to the mad dash over Pelenor fields with the Witch King in persuit. Carrock often felt too 'gamey' to me, as I tried NOT to quest to hard (still one of my fav from mirkwood though).

5. Seventh level vs. Stone of Erech - Tried Stone once and wasn't impressed.

6. Morgul Vale vs. Helms Deep - 

7. Foundations of Stone vs. Into Ithilien - Into Ithilien was really annoying when it came out as there where few decks that could possibly beat it. Now it feels like Journey Down the Anduin once was the as the go-to quest for trying out new decks with high difficulty.

8. Three Trials vs. Mount Gram - Trials didn't click for me. Mount Gram really needs a nightmare version to make the most of it but at least it's untapped potential now.

9. Battle of Carn Dum vs. Journey in the Dark - 

10. Knife in the Dark vs. Journey Down the Anduin - The Black Riders box feels thematically silly to me. Nazgul aren't suppose to 'swarm' the good guys. In fact, Tolkien mentioned explicitly that their attacks were about fear not violence when discussing the movie adaptation.

11. Steward’s Fear vs. Battle of Lake Town - Never liked Stewards Fear. Maybe I'll grow fond it of one day.

12. Flight From Moria vs. The Druaden Forest - It's thematic that running away from the Balrog can accidentily lead you to an exit or get's you lost forever. In a way this was a pre-sidequest quest. Just a tad too random. Druadan Forest was just mechanics to me.

13. Flight to the Ford vs. Shadow of the Past - When I tried Flight to the Ford, I was already Nazgul tired. Then you had all the burdens and I just gave up.

14. Battle of 5 Armies vs. Redhorn Gate - Great all-round quest and good feel of a battle taking place. If only a turn 1 vanguard wasn't so deadly for solo.

15. Blood of Gondor vs. Siege of Cair Andros - Love them both. Siege wins here though, because the ability to 'block' enemies with locations is very unique and leads to a completely new strategic thinking and playstyle. It's close though, because Master's Malice is BS.

16. Journey at the Crossroads vs. Encounter at Amun Dun -

1. Wastes of Eriador

4. Massing at Osiliath

5. Stone of Erech

6. Helms Deep

7. Foundations of Stone

8. Mount Gram

9. Battle of Carn Dum

11. Steward’s Fear

12. The Druaden Forest

13. Flight to the Ford

14. Battle of 5 Armies

15. Siege of Cair Andros

Of course, having picked out a top 10, a lot of these are no-brainers for me, because obviously I vote for the one I put in my top 10 over the one I didn't. I'll give some reasons though.

1.  Across the Ettenmoors - I hven't found this one as easy as everyone else apparently has, and I like the mechanics. Difficult to choose though because I haven't played this or Wastes that many times.

2. Breaking of Fellowship - I suspect my vote might go the other way if I'd played the Nightmare version of Tharbad, but the regular one is too easy and Breaking of the Fellowship is fun.

3. Intruders in Chetwood - Difficult, because Barrow Downs barely missed my top 10 while Chetwood made it, but Chetwood has become my standard quest for testing decks. Other than the engagement stuff and threat raising it's handily generic, tests you on every front, and the variety of sidequests keeps it interesting.

4. Massing at Osiliath - Also nicely generic and while the expanded card pool has made this one a lot easier than when it was released, it's still challenging. I like Carrock, especially in nightmare, but Massing is way more of a classic to me.

5. Seventh level - I've rarely played Erech, but Seventh Level was the first Nightmare quest I ever beat and it's one I've gone back to a lot.

6. Helm's Deep - Again, a top 10 versus an almost top 10. Helm's Deep is that much more epic though.

7. Foundations of Stone - And again. Into Ithilien is nicely challenging, but Foundations of Stone is a classic and doesn't have the same kind of instant death cards.

8. Three Trials - Three Trials is one of the best boss fight quests in the game, possibly the best full stop. Meanwhile I was never super fond of the prison break theme.

9. Journey in the Dark - Carn Dum might win out in the long run, but right now it's too new for me to pick it over a quest as good and as thematic as Journey in the Dark

10. Journey Down the Anduin - A classic, still a decent challenge in Nightmare. I've never been as fond of the Black Riders quests as some.

11. Steward’s Fear - Lake-Town I view more as a puzzle to be solved than a quest to be played. I find more interest in building decks to beat it than actually playing it out, which turns into mostly a numbers game. Steward's Fear, on the other hand, is incredibly fun and varied however many times I replay it.

12. The Druadan Forest - Flight from Moria is a quest I've never been that fond of. Druadan Forest isn't a favourite, but I enjoy it.

13. Flight to the Ford - again, not so fond of the Black Riders quests, but I prefer the race to the finish over the frustration of Hide tests.

14. Battle of 5 Armies - Redhorn Gate can be very random but otherwise tends to be on the easier side, 5 Armies is more challenging and more consistent.

15. Siege of Cair Andros - Blood of Gondor is weird, random and I'm never entirely sure how to play it. Cair Andros is tough and certainly has its share of randomness, but I always know what I should be doing and I love the challenge, plus the Nightmare version adds even more interest to the strategic side of it.

16. Encounter at Amon Din - I have enjoyed playing Crossroads so far, but I've also been bugged by the mechanics forcing you into certain approaches and playstyles. Amon Din is easy, but that also means it's accessible to pretty much any deck.

1.  Across Ettenmoors - Both are good quests, but the safe mechanic wins out here

2. Trouble in Tharbad - I like Breaking, and Trouble is a bit too easy, but Trouble is so unique

3. Fog on the Barrow Downs - Cool representation of the barrow section of the books

4. Massing at Osiliath - Massing is still a classic

5. Stone of Erech - I liked Seventh in its day, but Stone is more relevant these days

6. Helms Deep - A difficult choice, but Helms Deep is so good

7. Foundations of Stone - Easy one for me

8. Three Trials - Two very unique quests that I love, but Three Trials just takes it

9. Journey in the Dark - I really like Carn Dum, but the Balrog battle and epic sacrifice edges it out

10. Knife in the Dark - The Nazguls win out over a quest that I've played dozens of times

11. Battle of Lake Town - Stewad's Fear is probably the better quest, but I can't get over the epicness of battling Smaug!

12. The Druadan Forest - prowl and persuading enemies. There's never been quite another scenario like the Druadan Forest

13. Flight to the Ford - Really captures the feel of the race to the ford.

14. Redhorn Gate - I know many people love Battle of 5 armies, but it never quite clicked for me enough to become a favorite.

15. Siege of Cair Andros - I've warmed up to Blood, but Siege is great fun, although a little easy to demolish if you build for it these days

16. Journey at the Crossroads - Very tactical quest with lots of decisions

1. Across the Ettenmoors

2. Trouble in Tharbad

3. Intruders in Chetwood

4. Massing at Osgiliath

5. Stone of Erech

6. Helm's Deep

7. Into Ithilien

8. Three Trials

9. Journey in the Dark

11. Steward’s Fear