Sign in to follow this  
Ken at Sunrise

TFA - How many T70 and TIE F/O do I need?

I have 2 TFA Core sets and I only plan on getting one of each expansion. 5 TIE/fo and 3 T-70 will probably be my limit.... unless we never get more Comm Relays & Intergrated Astromechs in future releases- then I'll get at least 1 more of each.

Wow, I just realized how many TIEs (empire and f.o.) I will have soon. I'll need a seperate storage/shelf just for TIE's.

All TFA X-wing products for me has been the most disappointing thing about the new Star Wars movie (even more so than the character of Darth Emo). <_<

I can say no more than 1 of each. IF the TIE/FO pack came with a second Comm Relay (WHICH IT SHOULD FFG!) :angry:  then I would have advocated getting a second TIE/FO pack so you could have 4 TIE/FO with comm relay but since they skimped on the tech upgrades (all 2 of them) I can't recommend it. :(

Edited by Marinealver

I have 4 T-70 and 6 FO.

I'll definetly try the 4 T-70 list in some casual games (can't in a tournament since I own only 2 Integrated Astromech). I have a lot of fun with a 3 T-70 list that I consider competitive.

As for the FO, I could have stopped at 4, but I wanted the cards from the expension so...

And then there's Epic mode where you just can't have enough!

T-70 --> really only need Poe. T-70 expacs for integrated only, basically. If you want to play them strictly for fun, a pair of Red Vets (predator, r2 astro, integrated) alongside Poe are quite fun to fly. They're amazing looking models to boot

I find your lack of faith in the T-70 disturbing.

I look forward to running a 3x T-70 list to prove this idea wrong.  :P

T-70 --> really only need Poe. T-70 expacs for integrated only, basically. If you want to play them strictly for fun, a pair of Red Vets (predator, r2 astro, integrated) alongside Poe are quite fun to fly. They're amazing looking models to boot

I find your lack of faith in the T-70 disturbing.

I look forward to running a 3x T-70 list to prove this idea wrong.  :P

only if you're partial to repeated failure

trust me, I've tried. Fun to fly, not fun to roll dice with

I see I'm a meglomaniac here!!!

4-T-70s

7-F/Os

This is because of several reasons:

1) I bought one Core Set on release.

2) I bought two Core Sets when they went on sale for $18 each

3) I bought one each of the expansions to have each.

4) We play 150 point matches regularly.

5) We play Epic often.

Hence, more is better!!!

I bought two TFA core sets for the damage decks (for my sons and I to use), then FFG change the rules around damage decks. I don't really mind, I still like the ships / rocks / etc.

Later I bought 4 T-70 expansions because i run a XXXX list and wanted Integrated Astromech for all of them. Would've been really nice if FFG had seen fit to include 2x IA cards in each, but c'est la vie.

So... 6 T-70s is my answer ;)

As a new player, I'm planning to purchase a Red Core before I purchase a T70 or Tie/FO pack. Of course right now none are in stock at the LGS so in reality it will probably be whatever shows up on the shelf first. I feel the addiction seeping in.

As a new player you really do not need to buy the old box set (red set) as the ships are rapidly (if not already) growing outdated. I would go with the new box and get one and a few ships for a 100 point list and go slow. Avoid the hype and you will be happier.

To answer the posr I would go 4 and 4 as there seems to be a limit to only 4 in a mini swarm.

Edited by EmpireErik

As with all ships that come in multiple expansions you probably should want to get each expansion it comes in for access to the additional pilots if nothing else.  This means no two TFA cores although the expansions something to get.

Considering that the base ships don't add a lot of firepower to their predecessors there isn't a lot of need for multiple generics.  That just leaves you looking at the aces and wondering how many of them you'll ever fly.  Going Epic you may fly more ships but how many more?  That's hard to say.

As a huge proponent of my 3x Black Squadron, 3x Omega Squadron, 6x Crackshot list, I strongly disagree. The FO is a huuuuge improvement over the standard TIE and well worth the 3 extra points.

I am sure I will end up with two New Core Sets and one of each of the T70 and TIE/fo expansions.  The most I would ever need is 6 TIE/fo ships, so it is possible I will buy a second, though I expect we will see another one as a support ship somewhere... though it would be nice if we didn't.  The only reason I might need more is Epic, but I'm more likely to fly some diversity there so the final tally is still nebulous.  3/5 minimum for me though.

As a new player, I'm planning to purchase a Red Core before I purchase a T70 or Tie/FO pack. Of course right now none are in stock at the LGS so in reality it will probably be whatever shows up on the shelf first. I feel the addiction seeping in.

As a new player you really do not need to buy the old box set (red set) as the ships are rapidly (if not already) growing outdated. I would go with the new box and get one and a few ships for a 100 point list and go slow. Avoid the hype and you will be happier.

To answer the posr I would go 4 and 4 as there seems to be a limit to only 4 in a mini swarm.

Luke, Biggs, and Dark Curse are still good ships. Especially Luke and Biggs with the Integrated Astromech. Not to mention R2-D2. And Mauler Mithel and Night Beast are not horrible, especially after they fixed Night Bease. 

As with all ships that come in multiple expansions you probably should want to get each expansion it comes in for access to the additional pilots if nothing else.  This means no two TFA cores although the expansions something to get.

Considering that the base ships don't add a lot of firepower to their predecessors there isn't a lot of need for multiple generics.  That just leaves you looking at the aces and wondering how many of them you'll ever fly.  Going Epic you may fly more ships but how many more?  That's hard to say.

As a huge proponent of my 3x Black Squadron, 3x Omega Squadron, 6x Crackshot list, I strongly disagree. The FO is a huuuuge improvement over the standard TIE and well worth the 3 extra points.

That is still just three TIE/fo although you may need more copies for the upgrades which can be an issue with many builds.

Luke, Biggs, and Dark Curse are still good ships. Especially Luke and Biggs with the Integrated Astromech. Not to mention R2-D2. And Mauler Mithel and Night Beast are not horrible, especially after they fixed Night Bease.

Good ships yes it not vital or even played any more.

But when did they fix Night Beast? I stopped playing for a bit.

Luke and wedge may have fallen out of favour but there's nothing wrong with the original tie fighter or named pilots.

The tie ln is more efficient than the fo by quite a lot.

My two cents.

I purchased two basic TFA sets because i needed two deck / ruler sets.

I will purchase two T 70 plus two FO because 4 T 70 vs 6 FO is a well balanced ratio. Enought original upgrade cards to play tournament ( i don't ) and a decent number of ships to display in the shelves. Ready to fight 100 pts TFA battle

My interesant is in X wing, Bombers, and first.waves ships. Enought.

100 points, unless you want to test out the  old-fashioned XXXX with integrated astros

I don't buy 100 point/spam lists.  I play casual and the most of any ship (other than TIE L/n) is 4 ships and since I've started cutting back 2 is the norm until an Aces/Veterans comes out.

All TFA X-wing products for me has been the most disappointing thing about the new Star Wars movie (even more so than the character of Darth Emo). <_<

I can say no more than 1 of each. IF the TIE/FO pack came with a second Comm Relay (WHICH IT SHOULD FFG!) :angry:  then I would have advocated getting a second TIE/FO pack so you could have 4 TIE/FO with comm relay but since they skimped on the tech upgrades (all 2 of them) I can't recommend it. :(

I wish FFG had included multiple cards but they didn't.  I think someone said the one single fighter expansions they don't usually :( .  The Star Viper is a larger pack I think.

I'm definitely disappointed and might have gotten more without question if there was multiple cards so for now I'll proxy and wait for other releases.