Sign in to follow this  
Ken at Sunrise

TFA - How many T70 and TIE F/O do I need?

In the past I have over purchased buying too much and ending up with extra with the Aces/Veterans come out.  But at the same time I like to have enough for both sides to play Epic.

With that in mind I was thinking all I would really need is 1 x T70 and 2 x TIE F/O in my kit.  Or do you think twice that with 2 x T70 and 4 x TIE F/O.  Even with that 2 and 4 that is my limit until I see what is next on the horizon.

As it is now I have extra As, Bs, Xs, TIE Interceptors and soon TIE Bombers.  I've started giving them to the grandkids to play with but with all of the other Star Wars stuff out there I think these extra little ships are doomed to getting broken or discarded.

As with all ships that come in multiple expansions you probably should want to get each expansion it comes in for access to the additional pilots if nothing else.  This means no two TFA cores although the expansions something to get.

Considering that the base ships don't add a lot of firepower to their predecessors there isn't a lot of need for multiple generics.  That just leaves you looking at the aces and wondering how many of them you'll ever fly.  Going Epic you may fly more ships but how many more?  That's hard to say.

I think I am going to end up with 3 T-70s and 4 FOs. Feels like a good number.

Same here. I have the ones from the core set, and plan to get 2 more of each, giving me 3 and 4. I wouldn't done that if there wasn't really good upgrades in the expansions, but in typical FFG style there are.

I've ended up with two TFA starters and one each of the T-70 and First Order TIE Fighter blisters. All the options, and 3 X-Wings is enough for a full 100-point squadron with no icky mixing of time periods. :) One of 'em's due to get repainted as Black One.

4 T-70

6 TIE/FO

I'm going with this. I don't consider the repaints in aces / veterans packs the same... I try to use the appropriate ship for the pilots and upgrades I use. Yeah, FFG loves my quirks... I have 4 Imperial Aces because I occasionally run for Royal Guard interceptors. The silver lining to my sickness is that I usually don't need to proxy any upgrades.

4 T-70

6 TIE/FO

I'm going with this. I don't consider the repaints in aces / veterans packs the same... I try to use the appropriate ship for the pilots and upgrades I use. Yeah, FFG loves my quirks... I have 4 Imperial Aces because I occasionally run for Royal Guard interceptors. The silver lining to my sickness is that I usually don't need to proxy any upgrades.

Ha ha, I wasn't far behind but I'm not that bad.  I'm just cutting back now and after much internal debate have finally given into proxies.  :(

I'd like to have at least one of any card I play but I just can't justify buying ships for cards any longer.  I have never fielded S&V but I have two of everything.  I like the Hound's Tooth and IG-88 because they are in Star Wars: Empire at War but I really only got the Star Viper for the TIE Interceptor.

Besides I had to save up for an Armada purchase and other toys and the movies, and, and, and...

Well, in my Star Wars gaming group we have divide out the different games, so I only purchase X-Wing. One friend bazaar robust Armada collection and another has all the Imperial Assault stuff. I provide everything for our X-Wing games, so I tend to go all out in all factions. And, curses to Epic. I probably need a fourth Agressor now. Last time three were fielded with some success and I can see the writing on the wall... Hurry up FFG and make a scum huge so I can stick with what I already have.

I'd say the t-70 from core and one expansion is all you'll ever need, same for fo core plus expansion.

2 T-70s and 3 TIE F/Os was about my first thought.  But between Epic and I would like to actually play these ships in a 100 point game I'm sticking with 3 and 4.

Unless your fielding the named pilots there's no point as the original tie is better.

Same with t-70 they are worse than t-65 when talking about blue squadron the boost is no help at ps2.

You only buy the expansion for access to the pilots not because you want to run generics, the more basic ships your flying the worse your efficiency will be.

Only reason to buy more is if you want to recreate the film, which is fine but if you want to win those ships will end up gathering dust.

T-70 --> really only need Poe. T-70 expacs for integrated only, basically. If you want to play them strictly for fun, a pair of Red Vets (predator, r2 astro, integrated) alongside Poe are quite fun to fly. They're amazing looking models to boot

Tie/FO --> at least one expac for Omega and Zeta L + Juke & Relay for Omega. You can field a good 3 Omega squadron w/ Juke + Relay w/something cool (carnor; new defender) so 3 is the upper limit. Have not been able to make a very effective list with more than 3, though.

the Tie/FO is a surprisingly sturdy bugger with relay + a fantastic dial, and performs a different role than the normal Tie Fighter. As a crackshot caddie, upgrading black squadrons to Omegas w/leftover points makes the squad far sturdier.

the named pilots, especially Omega & Zeta L, are absolutely awesome ^_^

Edited by ficklegreendice

Wait and see if Juke comes in any wave eight expansions. If it does, you only need one or two TIE/FO expansions packs. I went with two T-70s because I love T-70s, and an extra IA is always nice.

Because of past experience with Aces, etc. I was planning on maxing out at one or two expansions regardless of how good they are and making a proxy of anything I needed.

I'm going 3 t 70 and 5 tie fo, I ended up with two core sets and i bought one of each expansions.

I love the named pilot of either ships and i really like to play a t-70x3 ace list against a tie fo swarm. It just feels cinematic and right.

Also the mini for the x wing t-70 is simply the most beautiful in the bunch for me, the blend between old and new is amazing and blue is my favourite colour(it also reminds me of starfoxs arwing) so the more i have the better 

As a new player, I'm planning to purchase a Red Core before I purchase a T70 or Tie/FO pack. Of course right now none are in stock at the LGS so in reality it will probably be whatever shows up on the shelf first. I feel the addiction seeping in.