Sign in to follow this  
HolySorcerer

Interview about new FFG policy. Yes, they're jacking up online prices.

Ummm what I said is related to a race to the bottom. I was pointing out why it was bad for the consumer in the long run.

Lower retail prices (with same or even higher margins) for Asmodée increase budget for R&D. And it does not really "devalue" the product either imho, though that point is quite subjective and debatable. From a promotion point of products in general brick and mortar retail is for sure as well more important than online. Online is fine for getting stuff to customers, but FLGS for sure are more important as a marketing and entry sales tool. People still like to physical shops to check out the goods, they often just prefer to order afterwards online. 

Oh and yeah, the thing seems to be limited to the north american branch, which has a very different retail structure than europe and had disgustingly high discounts for the online retailers. Makes you wonder how FFG is even making money from online sales. European FLGS are as mentioned before totally fine with selling off- and online. 

FFG gets paid all the money it needs at the wholesale level.

Well of course once you spend millions in mergers like Asmodee then that "need" for cash becomes more hence price increases are "needed" more.

This ANA rep in the video tells exactly how much Asmodee respects gamers and feels we need something.''

They don't care if you buy games actually only if they make money... lol pretty insulting comments from an official FFG/ANA rep.

New article from Boardgamegeek -

A Historical Perspective on Changes Announced by Asmodee North America

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/51728/historical-perspective-changes-announced-asmodee-n

The BGG editor is acting like a corporate tool really but if you read the hundreds of comments it shows a great deal of anger in the gaming community.  Even though the article is written by a corporate apologist it still is a good read.

Edited by Tokyogriz

The video is super silly. "I am a brick and mortal retailer.", since when companies refer as I to themselves and opening simply two stores under same ownership. I guess their real goal here is to prevent prick and mortar retailers to buy at larger discounts and than sell the stuff mostly in brick and mortar and (if they change their discount schemes) to do exactly the same when their condition would prefer brick and mortar stores. Asmodée NA tries to manipulate market prices of their products by forcing stores into specific "at cost" prices. 

Guess they are abusing that there stores buy directly from them instead of buying from a larger distributer who lists products from all kind of publishers. Basically Asmodée NA are being dicks to store owners and abusing their strong market share to abuse retail as their personal marketing tools. And it might actually work fine for them in NA. At the other hand NA seems far more pricing sensitive in general, so prices in general are lower in NA than they are n Europe. Total different structures. 

Edited by SEApocalypse

EDIT: I recently picked up Imperial Assault for $70. How does that hurt the gaming industry?

Because eventually it will trigger a race to the bottom.

But isn't that good for us?

For the customer, sure. But, FFG understandably is looking long term for the industry. From very brief browsing of the board game/kickstarter communities, I am already seeing the expectation for these high end boardgames to get deep discounts online. What happens when that thought process becomes so ingrained that no one will touch the game at MSRP? When brick and mortars can't sell these games because no one is willing to pay MSRP? FFG and other companies loose a very, very large portion of people who buy these games. Despite claims, I highly doubt that the online retailers are able to maintain a whole industry. In the video that he loves to keep posting (though I don't know why, since I find myself agreeing with Asmodee a lot), it is mentioned there were already a 1000 brick and mortar stores signed up. And we are mainly talking about 2. What is the incentive for companies to make these high end board games? 

The restriction on brick and mortar or online is concerning, sure. But, I think it was mainly to cut out those that are using ebay or amazon, not those that have actual, devoted web sites to selling online. 

As a gamer on a budget, the initial Asmodee news as it impacted online sales concerned me, as the future of MM and CSI seemed uncertain. Lacking a local store, I depend on the online market. While prices have increased, and will probably slow my purchases SLIGHTLY, there has not been nearly so significant a change as to convince me even to reconsider my hobby. It will in fact be very rare that the change to online discounts will really effect my purchase choices (though it made me very glad I pre-ordered Wave 8 before the Asmodee prices came up, as a $30 Ghost beat a $40-$50 Ghost...).

Bottom line to me is that the slight increase in prices I'll be paying is well within acceptable limits, and I'm sure there are plenty who are no more concerned than I am.

I hate this thread with a seething passion. It's like listening to 5th graders talk politics.

To be fair, listening to politicians talk politics is like listening to 5th graders with extensive vocabulary talk politics. :P

giphy.gif

I hate this thread with a seething passion. It's like listening to 5th graders talk politics.

So why read it then?  ;)

It's like when people reply to trolls to say they are idiots.  Best to just move on.

Edited by slowreflex