Sign in to follow this  
HolySorcerer

Interview about new FFG policy. Yes, they're jacking up online prices.

Many stores in smaller cities use online sales ALOT to boost their incomes.  I own a online store, not a gaming store, and its ability to expand the reach of your business is what our modern age is about.

Asmodee is trying to set a precedent for the industry.  They give their self righteous lectures at Gama Trade show saying this nonsense.

Imagine if 100% of companies followed their path.

You sign a contract to be brick and mortar store. NO ONLINE SALES ALLOWED. 

You sign a contract ONLY TO SELL ONLINE.  no in person sales.

if 100% of gaming companies did this hundreds of gaming stores around this country would close period.  Do gaming stores in smaller communities not deserve to survive?

Take the example of online book sales.  Amazon ate that market up and destroyed local bookstores.  Right?  Well wrong because local bookstores are in fact making a great comeback now.  How?  By actually adapting and giving folks WHAT THE CONSUMER wants.  Not just cheap prices but high quality books, lectures with gues speakers etc.  Local book stores are THRIVING now because they adapted. 

Same goes for game stores ADAPT.

If your a local store and you think Asmodee is trying to help you then you are living in FANTASY land.  They are helping themselves to more money.  Instead adapt your store and business to give people in your area what they want. 

Put this into perspective -

Any business needs to adapt to be more successful.  Guess what?  Gas stations dont make much money off gas.  They  make 95% of their profits give or take a bit on the snacks drinks and other items in their stores. 

ADAPT your business model and actually learn to be a real business person.  Sell snacks, drinks, throw events for money etc.

One other tidbit -

FFG/ Asmodee SCREWED many brick and mortar stores by demanding you ONLY sell in person and NO ONLINE SALES!

Ya they really care about you guys!  LOL NOT!   Many stores sold excess inventory old games etc online. 

FFG doesnt give a crap about you.  They simply want to control their brands and MAKE MORE MONEY by selling games at higher rates to a huge chunk of the market that is online sales.

There is a legitimate concern with stores overbuying, in order to get a bigger discount, and then using their ebay stores to liquidate what doesn't sell. There is valid concern that such practices lower the value of their games. I just think that when 30-50% off MSRP becomes the "fair" price, the industry has issues. 

But, this is a macro vs micro, short term vs long term, type discussion. 

Helpful to Asmodee and NO ONE ELSE.

But, one has to question how useful it is if the online store is mainly there to liquidate poorly thought over purchases. 

Yes, they are in it for more money. But, being concerned about the industry itself isn't necessarily separate from that. 

As I state Sithborg if I own a store in a smaller town the local population is often not enough.  But guess what?  The INTERNET is amazing for helping with sales.  I can sell online both new and some used games and make ends meet.

But now stores in smaller markets cannot?  That is fair and somehow helping the gaming industry according to you and Asmodee?  I think not.

Like I said imagine if 100 Percent of gaming companies follow this example.  It would put many many gaming stores OUT OF BUSINESS.  Asmodee is trying to set the precedence and they do hope other gaming companies do this. 

Asmodee is so noble!   My Heroes!

Asmodee is not trying to help anyone except THEMSELVES.

You are looking at it as a consumer. I am reasonably sure that Asmodee has more opinions inside the industry. Asmodee benefits from having a strong market. And they clearly think leveling the playing field a bit more is for the benefit of the market. And they aren't the only ones. Wizkids has instituted some draconian measures as well. And Asmodee is at least cutting the Diamond/Alliance monopoly of one line of games that they had acquired. 

From a business perspective, if a store set up in a place that can't sustain it, you will pardon me if I question why it doesn't go fully online? As I have said, I have seen one store owner post about some very questionable tactics that ebay stores enabled. 

I'm not sure about the changes but I know that certain ebay stores have stopped selling ffg because they can't get anymore and it's directly related to sales politcis that have changed lately. Like this last 2-3 weeks.

Way to necro this one back from it death in January....

giphy.gif

I buy gas for my car.  I could walk, ride a bike etc.  Do I think Gas companies are humanitarians running around helping people?  No they are huge A@#holes for the most part lets be honest.  $$$$ is all that matters to them.

Are they evil?  No.  Is it good business to strip mine the land and get away with as little costs for reclamation as possible etc?  Yes, in the short term.  Is it make them anything other than greedy?  Nope.

We all use products from companies in our everyday lives that quite frankly dont care about us at all and would rather run us over to make a buck.  That is reality.

However that does not mean I have to like it and when greed like this Asmodee money grabs occurs I will point it out and object.  How I object is my choice.  Personally I will switch to 95% online purchases so my friends and family can continue to enjoy ourselves.  Others can choose not to purchase Asmodee products.

This is a greedy move by Asmodee.  But greed is good in business right?  At least in the short term.

I love how you say stores in smaller markets don't deserve to exist.  Your about the same level of person as the head of Asmodee who made this decision.  Bravo.

You cant read to well can you TallTonyb?

How I choose to object is my business.  Like I said I will simply save more money buy buying online more.  Others can choose to not purchase Asmodee products and thats fair move as well.

By discussion of the issue it is showing my objection.  In fact nothing ever changes without folks discussing the issue.  You can be a corporate shill but that is not noble either.

Asmodee makes a great product.  That is why I purchase it for my use.  However their attempts to manipulate the distribution and supply side is NOT NOBLE and I am voicing my objection.

If you actually go to many forums besides this company owned forum MANY MANY MANY gamers are angry about this situation. How I and others choose to protest is our business and does not somehow negate the fact Asmodee is NOT helping consumers nor Local stores with this move.

A lot of people get upset when they feel entitled to something and it gets taken away... even when they shouldn't have been getting it in the first place. doesn't make them right. also, I can read just fine thank you. You seem to be mistaking my disagreeing with your methods as ignorance. I can assure you it's not.

MaxTeranous, on 30 Dec 2015 - 02:22 AM, said:MaxTeranous, on 30 Dec 2015 - 02:22 AM, said:MaxTeranous, on 30 Dec 2015 - 02:22 AM, said:

Realistically this is the change.

Before: online 40% off, FLGS 10% off

After: online 20% off, FLGS 10% off

Does it suck personally for you if you only ever buy online? Yes. Is it a good change for the long term heath of the game? Yes.

That's the dumbest thing I have ever read on this forum.

Why is that a good change for the long term health of the game? What real evidence are you basing that on?  

The idea is that people can not play at home, are unable to find arrangements to play somewhere else (like a club bar) and are instead playing at their FLGS. Supporting those FLGS to make their prices more competitive sounds like a reasonable goal under the premise that they are the gaming location number 1 for x-wing players. Which seems to hold water for north america at least. I don't know why that is the case, but it seems to be a thing to play X-Wing at your FLGS. 

And btw, why is this alive again?

Edited by SEApocalypse

I'm not sure if this is still an issue for people but since it's been necro'd, I'll add what i know. 

I work at a game store, our cost for a $99.99 MSRP Imperial Assault or Armada core set is $57, Miniature Market was selling it for around $65 (now $75, not much of a price hike really) with about $6 S/H and no sales tax. If we sold it at that price we'd only be making around an $8-10 dollar profit, you can't really keep a brick and mortar store running with that.

But without stores like ours these game doesn't grow or thrive because they need a community of players, and we provide a free space for people to meet and play games, then others see the games being played and want to try it/ buy it. Over the past 6 months the X-wing group has gained at least 8 new players, and a bunch of other customers bought the game after seeing us playing it. So keeping the LSGs in business keeps the game alive.

I'm not against buying online, at least half of my collection is from MM (before i discover my store), I just think need to put the issue into perspective is all.

but physical stores do get money from tournament and league fees yes? if you provide a service then you can get paid for those services. 

the truth is that many physical stores prefer to sell 2 boxes at full price instead of 10 boxes at a discount, even though overall profit may be larger for 10 boxes at a discount. so they don't like online stores's competition. it's the typical "capitalist" free economy view from Asmodee and some physical stores. Asmodee shouldn't manipulate and discriminate towards physical vs online stores. businesses like free capitalists economy until they don't because someone is out-competing with them. like banks who don't like government regulation but do like government bail-outs.

The casual tournaments and magic drafts help of course, but it's really not as significantly as you're suggesting. We still have to pay for the kits and the employees running the events.

As I understand, Asmodee isn't discriminating against online sellers, they're just limiting the discount that distributors can give to online stores. As it was online sellers were paying much less for the games than the physical stores were. If anything the distributors were"manipulating and discriminating" the market in favor of online stores over physical stores.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favor of local store like us to sell games at a discount, and I've been able to convince the owner to sell a few things at 10% less than MSRP. However there's still a limit to how many sale we can make locally, whereas online sellers may still have a limit, but it's nowhere near as low as ours is. 

Looking at MM's prices, there's really not that much of an increase. A small X-Wing expansion has raised from $9.99 to $11.29, is a $1.30 price hike really going to hurt your wallet that much?

A lot of people get upset when they feel entitled to something and it gets taken away... even when they shouldn't have been getting it in the first place. doesn't make them right. also, I can read just fine thank you. You seem to be mistaking my disagreeing with your methods as ignorance. I can assure you it's not.

Oh the "Entitlement" argument.  Please dude stop with the political nonsense!

If anyone feels entitled it is FFG/Asmodee when they decide they are entitled to control consumer spending habits more.  If you actually believe the "entitled" nonsense then Asmodee feels entitled to dictate the market to consumers do they not?  But thats ok in your universe... whats not ok is consumers being unhappy with that? 

The vast majority of gamers do not share that ignorant view.  Some are choosing to no longer purchase Asmodee/FFG/Days of Wonder products.  Thats a tall order being 20% of ALL THE GAMING MARKET.  Others are voicing dissent like I have and are choosing to purchase MORE online to save money.

Asmodee doesn't exist without customers that's reality.  There is no "entitlement" that's simply the fact. 

The joke is so many people believing Asmodee was helping FLGS.  They are not they are in fact limiting the ability of stores to make money by cutting off ALL online sales.  This is the INTERNET AGE.  Have fun running a store with no internet allowed.  Few companies now a days actually are able to do that.

TallTony your not ignorant you simply being a corporate fanboy/shill in regards to this issue.  That's your choice but it is the truth.

I'm not sure if this is still an issue for people but since it's been necro'd, I'll add what i know. 

I work at a game store, our cost for a $99.99 MSRP Imperial Assault or Armada core set is $57, Miniature Market was selling it for around $65 (now $75, not much of a price hike really) with about $6 S/H and no sales tax. If we sold it at that price we'd only be making around an $8-10 dollar profit, you can't really keep a brick and mortar store running with that.

But without stores like ours these game doesn't grow or thrive because they need a community of players, and we provide a free space for people to meet and play games, then others see the games being played and want to try it/ buy it. Over the past 6 months the X-wing group has gained at least 8 new players, and a bunch of other customers bought the game after seeing us playing it. So keeping the LSGs in business keeps the game alive.

I'm not against buying online, at least half of my collection is from MM (before i discover my store), I just think need to put the issue into perspective is all.

but physical stores do get money from tournament and league fees yes? if you provide a service then you can get paid for those services. 

the truth is that many physical stores prefer to sell 2 boxes at full price instead of 10 boxes at a discount, even though overall profit may be larger for 10 boxes at a discount. so they don't like online stores's competition. it's the typical "capitalist" free economy view from Asmodee and some physical stores. Asmodee shouldn't manipulate and discriminate towards physical vs online stores. businesses like free capitalists economy until they don't because someone is out-competing with them. like banks who don't like government regulation but do like government bail-outs.

The casual tournaments and magic drafts help of course, but it's really not as significantly as you're suggesting. We still have to pay for the kits and the employees running the events.

As I understand, Asmodee isn't discriminating against online sellers, they're just limiting the discount that distributors can give to online stores. As it was online sellers were paying much less for the games than the physical stores were. If anything the distributors were"manipulating and discriminating" the market in favor of online stores over physical stores.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favor of local store like us to sell games at a discount, and I've been able to convince the owner to sell a few things at 10% less than MSRP. However there's still a limit to how many sale we can make locally, whereas online sellers may still have a limit, but it's nowhere near as low as ours is. 

Looking at MM's prices, there's really not that much of an increase. A small X-Wing expansion has raised from $9.99 to $11.29, is a $1.30 price hike really going to hurt your wallet that much?

Your missing the point.

Now stores have to sell ONLY online.

Or ONLY in person.

That is the punch in the face to stores.  Many smaller stores do rely on online sales to help them stay afloat.  I do believe that adaption is key to business.  However the fact is Asmodee is the one hurting the FLGS in this scenarion as well.  Yet they lie about "trying to help FLGS" kinda of sick joke really.

Price increases is the punch in the face to consumers.  (some folks like getting punched in the face it seems)

Watch the video link to the interview as well.

Edited by Tokyogriz

This policy is one of the best things FFG has done. I wish other gaming companies would follow their lead. At the core of gaming is the store where the majority of players go to game, compete, and just hang out. Without the stores there is no game. Thank you FFG.

Edited by Bigulf

That is the exact problem Asmodee is concerned about. The devaluation of games. You keep on citing it as price increases, that somehow, that the discounts the online stores sold them at should be the price.

Asmodee is changing things up so that brick and mortar are able to compete a bit more fairly with the online stores. 

You may argue that it is bad for the game and bad from consumers. However I am someone who keeps tabs on the gaming community (X-Wing most closely) in my local area (Norwich, England for reference). We only have one game store here and over the past 10 years any game store that started up did not last 2 years.

The latest store to open has actually grown and been successful by presenting itself as a community hub where people can play games. I go to the store and can pay £0.50 to play as many games of X-Wing, Armada, Attack Wing, or any other miniatures game I want, or if I want to play a card game or RPG i can sit down and play for nothing. Naturally I buy drinks and small snacks there (rarely on the snacks, it's mostly drinks).

I know the owner of the store extremely well and he doesn't even get paid for what he does, his staff get paid more than him and the other two co-owners (family run business).

The number of times I've heard people at our community comment that they can buy the ships cheaper online (before all this Asmodee business) was laughable and bordering on insulting. Naturally people can spend money how they wish, but the store exists for a reason, is it really worth a few quid if in the end the store would close down and now you have nowhere to play.

I did ask why he didn't give discounts to the items and his comment was in the area of "We do occasional discounts, like during TableTop day and such, but the fact is to make a profit we need to sell at the RRP, I know that means most people say they can go online and get the stuff cheaper but if I lower it the store loses money and I can't afford that as a store owner." that is not a direct quote but the general consensus of what I heard.

People should support their FLGS and not a nameless faceless corporation. The day I support amazon getting a lower RRP than brick and mortar stores is the day i can turn up at an Amazon HQ and/or Warehouse and say 'I'd like to play a game of X-Wing on one of your tables' and not get laughed out the door.

The store itself is surviving and that is without an online store at all, the local community is large enough to support the store off of their purchases. Asmodee's ruling works in this area for this store.

Now, I conceed that for smaller stores it may not be economically possible to survive, however if that's the case, should the store exist? You only open a business where there is a demand. I don't go to the arctic and open a store that sells ice, that would be completely stupid. I don't open a sand store in the sahara desert. If you're store is having this problem, I point your own quote back at you Tokyogriz "Adapt". You are so keen to throw "Adapt" out there like it absolves you of having to explain anything. Maybe your store should advertise, or not sell itself short. I don't know much about where you live, the context of the store or anything, but stores are more likely to succeed in cities where they can act as a hub for gamers from the local area.

All I know is, the system is working for my FLGS, so it isn't as anti FLGS as you seem to claim.

PS: Yes, FFG and Asmodee want your money, doesn't being a business and having to fund projects, new offices, factories and pay your staff suck the big time? This is business and I am under no illusion that FFG want my money, the difference is the money i pay has not changed since starting 4 years ago, actually I lie, it's gone up by £1. When I started ships cost me £11.99, now they cost £12.99. 

My opinion is that it's online scrooges who save whatever money they can by shopping online and not supporting their FLGS kicking up a fuss because now they can't get that 50% that they somehow think the deserve to get all the time just because thats what they've been getting and the retailer hasn't been paying attention to the RRP.

Edited by Ebak

You may argue that it is bad for the game and bad from consumers. However I am someone who keeps tabs on the gaming community (X-Wing most closely) in my local area (Norwich, England for reference). We only have one game store here and over the past 10 years any game store that started up did not last 2 years.

The latest store to open has actually grown and been successful by presenting itself as a community hub where people can play games. I go to the store and can pay £0.50 to play as many games of X-Wing, Armada, Attack Wing, or any other miniatures game I want, or if I want to play a card game or RPG i can sit down and play for nothing. Naturally I buy drinks and small snacks there (rarely on the snacks, it's mostly drinks).

I know the owner of the store extremely well and he doesn't even get paid for what he does, his staff get paid more than him and the other two co-owners (family run business).

The number of times I've heard people at our community comment that they can buy the ships cheaper online (before all this Asmodee business) was laughable and bordering on insulting. Naturally people can spend money how they wish, but the store exists for a reason, is it really worth a few quid if in the end the store would close down and now you have nowhere to play.

I did ask why he didn't give discounts to the items and his comment was in the area of "We do occasional discounts, like during TableTop day and such, but the fact is to make a profit we need to sell at the RRP, I know that means most people say they can go online and get the stuff cheaper but if I lower it the store loses money and I can't afford that as a store owner." that is not a direct quote but the general consensus of what I heard.

People should support their FLGS and not a nameless faceless corporation. The day I support amazon getting a lower RRP than brick and mortar stores is the day i can turn up at an Amazon HQ and/or Warehouse and say 'I'd like to play a game of X-Wing on one of your tables' and not get laughed out the door.

The store itself is surviving and that is without an online store at all, the local community is large enough to support the store off of their purchases. Asmodee's ruling works in this area for this store.

Now, I conceed that for smaller stores it may not be economically possible to survive, however if that's the case, should the store exist? You only open a business where there is a demand. I don't go to the arctic and open a store that sells ice, that would be completely stupid. I don't open a sand store in the sahara desert. If you're store is having this problem, I point your own quote back at you Tokyogriz "Adapt". You are so keen to throw "Adapt" out there like it absolves you of having to explain anything. Maybe your store should advertise, or not sell itself short. I don't know much about where you live, the context of the store or anything, but stores are more likely to succeed in cities where they can act as a hub for gamers from the local area.

All I know is, the system is working for my FLGS, so it isn't as anti FLGS as you seem to claim.

PS: Yes, FFG and Asmodee want your money, doesn't being a business and having to fund projects, new offices, factories and pay your staff suck the big time? This is business and I am under no illusion that FFG want my money, the difference is the money i pay has not changed since starting 4 years ago, actually I lie, it's gone up by £1. When I started ships cost me £11.99, now they cost £12.99. 

My opinion is that it's online scrooges who save whatever money they can by shopping online and not supporting their FLGS kicking up a fuss because now they can't get that 50% that they somehow think the deserve to get all the time just because thats what they've been getting and the retailer hasn't been paying attention to the RRP.

Your stores choose not to give consumers what they wanted.  A great enviroment to play in.  Drinks and food with a great play area are the future.  Gaming pubs or Gaming Cafes that rent/sell games are the future. 

Guess what?  Asmodee doesn't give a crap about your stores.  This is more $$ to increase the CEOs yearly bonus checks.

Sales online will increase, I just spent another $120 online getting some Descent 2nd edition stuff.  More and More every year is going online in almost all categories in business.  Asmodee is actually encouraging people to buy MORE online and this in fact gives them MORE money since they charge online stores a higher price.  Not rocket science.

Only fools who believe propaganda like you think somehow this is going to help their local stores. 

For many stores, especially in smaller communities its a huge slap in the face.  Now they cant sell online?  Great... in the age of the internet thats a big big lose of market potential. 

The stores in larger communities that actually could support a gaming pub/cafe may benefit a little from this market manipulation by Asmodee a little.  But those same stores would potentially benefit 1000% more if they would simply adapt to the market and give consumers the environment and amenities we want.  Food, drinks, nice environment etc. 

But that would require them to actually act like professional business people.... no thats way way to unrealistic.

Whoa whoa whoa...did you miss the part where I said this:

For clarification: My FLGS offers snacks and drinks for sale, and for certain games have a 'table fee' which never exceeds £0.50 (per person) and lasts for the entire day. There's even talks of them adapting the third floor into a cafe so they can make their own food to sell rather than allowing people to bring food from the local takeaways in.

but I didn't expect you to know that, it's not like the store is popular and successful enough that it's running regionals for Pokemon, Yugi-Oh, and oh yes, X-Wing. I guess they're not giving people what they want after all, they are clearly failing and not popular, bring on the gamerenting cafe/pubs.

I've not heard complaints so far, it's also what I as a player have wanted for a long time, I don't know what I would do without my FLGS, plus the irony that you talk about gaming pubs and cafes being the future when the store is an old working mans club that essentially was a bar.

Anyway, your assertion that gaming bars/cafes in the future will be THE thing. Where you RENT the game? yeah I'm sure that will work out with board games that you can open from a box and play, that sounds fine. What about Magic? Or X-Wing, or Warhammer, where your personal collection and army is what makes up the game? In your future, do I go to a store and pay per ship per hour? Or do I rent based on faction? What about upgrades cards, does renting C-3PO cost more because of his rarity? Cause if so I don't want that, I want to own my collection, I want to play with MY models, not with the models I rent from a store.

What about a Magic player, is the future of Magic where it's Yahtzee to see who ends up with the deck that has the super ultra amazing card every week?

I think there is merit to your idea for a board games cafe/pub, doesn't stop my store from having one of the biggest board gaming evenings in the area. Nor does it put me off wanting to take a board game to my FLGS and play it there since my place is not idea. From the way you speak, your future is the only future. I don't think your idea works for all games.

As for the propaganda, I don't care about anything, or even read into the reasoning behind asmodee doing it, all I know is the result, that buying on amazon costs the same as buying at my FLGS, and that's what I care about, why should I pay more because I actually support my local business while other people get away with paying less and not 'putting into the kitty'?

I'm happy with my FLGS and that it is doing extremely well, if we were to believe you, FLGS' would be dying left right and center.

For many stores, especially in smaller communities its a huge slap in the face.  Now they cant sell online?  Great... in the age of the internet that's a big big lose of market potential.

You said it yourself...ADAPT BRO ITS SO EASY!

Edited by Ebak

I will also add, in my experience, people HATE spending money and will do whatever it takes to not spend money or spend as little as possible, the store had issues with people going to the local convenient store and picking up a 2 liter bottle of drink and bringing that in along with snacks and other things, not thinking that they are hurting the business when in reality it would cost them just a few pence more and they would be supporting the game store rather than the convenient store.

It's one thing to give your customers what they want, it works both ways, they want the place to play, they should also understand and support the store when they can otherwise they will lose their gaming place.

You sign a contract to be brick and mortar store. NO ONLINE SALES ALLOWED. 

You sign a contract ONLY TO SELL ONLINE.  no in person sales.

That's not exactly how it works though, at least that's not how I understood it.

They now offer two discount: For Brick'n'Mortar and for Online sellers.

Brick'n'Mortar have a better discount than Online Sellers.

If you choose the Brick'n'Mortar discount, you are agreeing to not sell their product online. Nothing is preventing you from selling products from other company online, just not Asmodee ones.

If you choose the online sellers discount, nothing is preventing you from selling in person, you just don't have a discount as good as someone selling exclusively in a Brick'n'Mortar store.

The store have a choice to make, where does he gets most of his sales? If it's online, take the online discount and continue selling online. If it's local, do the math, and if the better discount is better than continuing selling online, then sell only in person and take the better discount.

The ones that this politic will hurt the most are the big players like Miniature Markets and Cool Stuff Inc and those that bought exclusively online. But for my part that want to buy local to encourage the store that allow me to run tournaments, nothing will change and my FLGS will continue to have my money.