Sign in to follow this  
HolySorcerer

Interview about new FFG policy. Yes, they're jacking up online prices.

Yes, because it was already difficult for me to afford both games in the first place. Also, if I order, I usually do it in a batch of $100 so I can get the free shipping, even though regular shipping is like $6. That $2.50 adds up. I still haven't got the last wave at this point and another wave is on the verge of coming out. Last point, I'm probably buying more than an a erase person because I buy extra of certain ships to cover for my friends.

Yes, because it was already difficult for me to afford both games in the first place. Also, if I order, I usually do it in a batch of $100 so I can get the free shipping, even though regular shipping is like $6. That $2.50 adds up. I still haven't got the last wave at this point and another wave is on the verge of coming out. Last point, I'm probably buying more than an a erase person because I buy extra of certain ships to cover for my friends.

Maybe your friends should start either buying their own ships or reimbursing you?

For those looking for intelligent discussion on the Asmodee cash grab check out this link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMjfEEaHo6o

Chaz Marler at 22 minutes 31 sec. gives interesting perspective. 

I would add The Dice Tower is doing its yearly Kickstarter fundraiser and is a great review source for Board games if that's your thing.  Check it out.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tomvasel/the-dice-tower-2016-season-12/description

-

For additional information check out Boardgamegeek - https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/49101/asmodee-clarifies-its-changes-2016-online-sales-wi

This article has a good assortment of mostly intelligent replies on both sides.

What it comes down to is the majority of gamers are not represented in this echo chamber of fan boys and trolls.  That's why they are shouting the conversation down now.  The debate about this issue is far from over.  Don't let trolls discourage you its good to discuss serious issues affecting our hobby. 

We as the consumers are the most important factor in this industry, and that goes in any industry.  Asmodee is losing sight of that.

Edited by Tokyogriz

For those looking for intelligent discussion on Tacos check out this link - 

Blah, blah, blah.

What it comes down to is the majority of members are not interested in this merry go round thread.  That's why they are extolling the virtues of Tacos.  The debate about this issue is becoming more akin to uninformed horse floggers flogging a dead horse than something we actually know something about.  Don't let trolls turn this thread back to the see who can pee the highest thread it was before the glorious intervention of tacos. 

We as the consumers are looking for the most important factor in this industry, new ideas for tacos.  Asmodee does not sell tacos.

I think that's what you said.

Cheers

Baaa

Baaa and WAAAAARG . I have your answers. I like both hard and soft tacos, but find when im driving sometimes a crunchy taco can crack and go all over. so if its fast food its soft. since i eat the soft when im driving i usually get crunchy when im siting just to even it out. This should be obvious to anyone who has eaten a taco...

For those looking for intelligent discussion on Tacos check out this link - 

Blah, blah, blah.

What it comes down to is the majority of members are not interested in this merry go round thread.  That's why they are extolling the virtues of Tacos.  The debate about this issue is becoming more akin to uninformed horse floggers flogging a dead horse than something we actually know something about.  Don't let trolls turn this thread back to the see who can pee the highest thread it was before the glorious intervention of tacos. 

We as the consumers are looking for the most important factor in this industry, new ideas for tacos.  Asmodee does not sell tacos.

I think that's what you said.

Cheers

Baaa

Brilliant, mate. Well said.

Well let me put it to you in a different way. $2.50 does in fact add up that is correct. More specifically you stated that you dont have everything yet and that you are not competitive , you play casual with your friends.

To give you an idea as to why Im speaking up. I buy everything, I have one of each expansion and have pre ordered everything in wave 8. If you were a collector and had to have everything, even though that seems to not be the case we are talking about an additional 12.50 ish every 5 or 6 months when a new wave releases.

These are rough numbers so we must allow for a dollar or two of variance based on the idea that ffg might release more than 5 expansions next wave or possibly less.

Now if you for whatever personal reason cannot afford the difference of about 13$ every 4 to 6 months then my friend some professional financial advice for absolutely free... quit now and save your money because if you are that tight on the budget Im not sure if you have the disposable income for a hobby like this.

...also... tacos, every Tuesday, that is all.

Edited by CynisKaden

For those looking for intelligent discussion on the Asmodee cash grab check out this link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMjfEEaHo6o

Chaz Marler at 22 minutes 31 sec. gives interesting perspective. 

I would add The Dice Tower is doing its yearly Kickstarter fundraiser and is a great review source for Board games if that's your thing.  Check it out.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tomvasel/the-dice-tower-2016-season-12/description

-

For additional information check out Boardgamegeek - https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/49101/asmodee-clarifies-its-changes-2016-online-sales-wi

This article has a good assortment of mostly intelligent replies on both sides.

What it comes down to is the majority of gamers are not represented in this echo chamber of fan boys and trolls.  That's why they are shouting the conversation down now.  The debate about this issue is far from over.  Don't let trolls discourage you its good to discuss serious issues affecting our hobby. 

We as the consumers are the most important factor in this industry, and that goes in any industry.  Asmodee is losing sight of that.

You lost me when you combined "cash grab" and "intelligent discussion". Sorry, but crying about having to pay the actually MSRP (that isn't changing!!) instead of getting discount pricing doesn't sound like much of an intelligent discussion.

Asmodee is a business that needs to make business decisions. If they were raising the MSRP by 30% you might have a conversation. That's not the case here. This is just entitled millennials having a tantrum because their discounted pricing is going away.

I used to only buy tacos from cheap taco food trucks, but then Fantasy Flight Tacos raised the distribution cost of the meat and cheese to try to improve sales at normal restaurants, so I quit tacos. Now I eat mostly bacon and eggs for every meal. At least the bacon distributor doesn't care where I buy my bacon.

CynisKaden, on 05 Jan 2016 - 07:51 AM, said:

icestormganon, on 04 Jan 2016 - 9:42 PM, said:

Well let me put it to you in a different way. $2.50 does in fact add up that is correct. More specifically you stated that you dont have everything yet and that you are not competitive , you play casual with your friends.

To give you an idea as to why Im speaking up. I buy everything, I have one of each expansion and have pre ordered everything in wave 8. If you were a collector and had to have everything, even though that seems to not be the case we are talking about an additional 12.50 ish every 5 or 6 months when a new wave releases.

These are rough numbers so we must allow for a dollar or two of variance based on the idea that ffg might release more than 5 expansions next wave or possibly less.

Now if you for whatever personal reason cannot afford the difference of about 13$ every 4 to 6 months then my friend some professional financial advice for absolutely free... quit now and save your money because if you are that tight on the budget Im not sure if you have the disposable income for a hobby like this.

...also... tacos, every Tuesday, that is all.

Your missing the point for many people.

Yes some folks can only buy online only and have limited income.  Telling them tough cookies is both inappropriate and childish.

The main issue for many game hobbyists is the trend this is setting for the industry at large.  Asmodee is saying with this attempt at manipulating the market distribution of their product that they consider themselves more important than the us their consumer. 

The general trend Asmodee is setting is what is really of concern for most serious game hobbyists.  Its very worth discussion and your dismissive comments have no real value to the debate.

The general trend Asmodee is setting is what is really of concern for most serious game hobbyists.  Its very worth discussion and your dismissive comments have no real value to the debate.

There is no debate.

Asmodee are changing the way they distribute their products. Either buy the products after they do, or don't. 

Do you like Tacos? Maybe being unable to express the love you have for your favourite food is what is driving this need you seem to have to want to pee into a hurricane. My favourite food is Haggis, and bacon, together. I feel a lot better after getting that off my chest.

Cheers

Baaa

Because it is pretty clear that massive online discounts is troubling to most in the industry.

True, it's an issue pretty much every miniature company seems to be trying to come to grips with. Not every line has the same discount either. Flames of War has a much smaller discount on Mini Market then X-Wing does, it's only a 10% discount.

Warmahoards only has a 25% discount as well. Infinity has a 8% discount. Malifaux has a 30% discount.

So honestly FFG was getting discounted much more steeply than most other games out there.

Asmodee is a business that needs to make business decisions. If they were raising the MSRP by 30% you might have a conversation. That's not the case here. This is just entitled millennials having a tantrum because their discounted pricing is going away.

If people never bought at MSRP, that number is meaningless for them.

Asmodee is making a move that increases the amount of $ the consumer needs to pay in order to get the same product as before. Why should it matter for the average consumet if it's a MSRP increase or not, as long as the end result is the same?

While we're getting all balled up over where the reduced discount money is actually going, I would like to point out that if online prices are closer to MSRP there is a very good chance I will start purchasing more than I already do at my FLGS. So, while it may not have been the primary driver, the new pricing might help the brick and mortar store a bit. Go figure...

So, while it may not have been the primary driver, the new pricing might help the brick and mortar store a bit. Go figure...

It may or may not been the primary driver, but per the PR it was part of the decision.

RookiePilot, on 05 Jan 2016 - 09:48 AM, said:

While we're getting all balled up over where the reduced discount money is actually going, I would like to point out that if online prices are closer to MSRP there is a very good chance I will start purchasing more than I already do at my FLGS. So, while it may not have been the primary driver, the new pricing might help the brick and mortar store a bit. Go figure...

Price sensitive folks will still be pushed towards the cheaper alternative by a large margin.  It looks already like the Asmodee change to say Cool Stuff Inc is going from 35% off to 25%. 

The real question is were is Amazon going in this.  Currently they still have the same discounts on xwing materials in the 25% up to 40% off some ships.  Asmodee wont have much real leverage over Amazon and they will have to let Amazon do what they want or discontinue selling on Amazon.  It seems unlikely they will do that.

People who are on limited budgets and price sensitive will still find the cheapest stores to get their goods.  That's basic economics.  You may be more inclined to shop locally but its unlikely you will be followed by throngs of ex online buyers.

In that scenario the only real group who benefits is Asmodee getting more by selling direct at a higher price to large online stores.  Which in fact their real goal.  Sugar coating the PR statement with its helping local stores simply doesn't hold up to any amount of analysis.