Sign in to follow this  
Sekac

(H)ello (N)asty

How important are those autothrusters?  Could you drop them to IA and use the points somewhere else? 

If you've got a good idea for other places to spend the points, or you're playing in a more casual meta, sure. I think Autothrusters are the better choice for most competitive builds, though. Integrated Astromech guarantees you one extra hit point, but Autothrusters can pay off multiples times per game.

Particularly, on Poe, if you're at range 3 or out of arc, and you have a focus, you WILL get at least 1 Evade result and likely 2 (If the die is a blank, you autothruster it, if it's an eyeball, you use Poe's ability, if you roll blank + eye on two dice, you do both).

I think Poe likes Autothrusters for certain. He's got high enough PS that he can reliably manipulate the range bands and arcs. Otherwise, as your PS goes down, they are less and less mandatory.

It's basically like the old debate between stealth device and hull upgrade. Would you rather adjust the green dice to prevent damage, or do you rely on the green dice to fail and just take an extra hit point?

I love him. He's in my current tourney list. Still can't decide whether I like predator or outmaneuver more on him. As far as mods go, I'm going to go with R2 + Int. Astro. because it's a point cheaper than autothrusters and gives me lots of greens to shed stress. 

Said List

Poe+R5-P9+VI+AT

Ello+R2-D2+VI+AT

Blue Novice+R3-A2+IA

This list has a PS 10 and 9, two of the ships regenerates shields (and laughs at turrets), and the other causes stress to everything it shoots.  It is hard to pick which to go after first, as the other two will burn you.  I'll be flying this list until the next wave finally comes out.

What about something like this?  This way your 3rd ship is a real threat. Ello becomes the 3rd priority target.  Asty isn't as good hunting aces but you have Poe and the Red Vet minimizes the number of rerolls an opponent with predator gets.  I might even look to swap out Asty for Blue Ace if AT are a must, or maybe use Hobbie as your stressbot carrier.

Poe Dameron (31)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R5-P9 (3)
Autothrusters (2)

Ello Asty (30)
R2-D2 (4)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Red Squadron Veteran (26)
Wired (1)
R3-A2 (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Total: 100

or 

Poe Dameron (31)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R5-P9 (3)
Autothrusters (2)

"Blue Ace" (27)
R7-T1 (3)
Autothrusters (2)

Red Squadron Veteran (26)
Wired (1)
R3-A2 (2)
Autothrusters (2)

Total: 100

Edited by Wretch

Poe+R5-P9+VI+AT

Ello+R2-D2+VI+AT

Blue Novice+R3-A2+IA

This list has a PS 10 and 9, two of the ships regenerates shields (and laughs at turrets), and the other causes stress to everything it shoots.  It is hard to pick which to go after first, as the other two will burn you.  I'll be flying this list until the next wave finally comes out.

What about something like this?  This way your 3rd ship is a real threat. Ello becomes the 3rd priority target.  Asty isn't as good hunting aces but you have Poe and the Red Vet minimizes the number of rerolls an opponent with predator gets.  I might even look to swap out Asty for Blue Ace if AT are a must, or maybe use Hobbie as your stressbot carrier.

Ello is VERY good with Poe as a wingman.  That white T-roll is nasty.  Every round you force your opponent where you want them to be.  I like offense more than defense, but you could replace Ello with Red Ace With Comm Relay and R2D2.  Nasty combo.

Played a thematic game versus redline and some tie/fos last night

T-70 X-Wing: · Poe Dameron (31)

Veteran Instincts (1)

· R2-D2 (4)

Autothrusters (2)

T-70 X-Wing: · Ello Asty (30)

Prwdator (3)

R2 Astromech (1)

Autothrusters (2)

X-Wing: · Tarn Mison (23)

R7 Astromech (2)

Integrated Astromech (0)

Accidently handed him Ello in a silver platter in round 3 but it was ton of fun. Need to learn how to fly this list not like jousters. The tankyness of Tarn made my opponent very frustrated.

Been thinkinf about running:

T-70 X-Wing: · Ello Asty (30)

Predator (3)

R2 Astromech (1)

Autothrusters (2)

X-Wing: Rookie Pilot (21)

R2 Astromech (1)

Integrated Astromech (0)

YT-2400: Wild Space Fringer (30)

Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

· Outrider (5)

For the punchyness of the hlc but I am worried the ps2 outride will just get eaten alive by the current meta.

Edited by Ayleron

I dunno. He's more expensive than Wedge or Luke and he's only PS7! Seems like quite an investment for a character with no offensive or defensive special power.

On the other hand, he's got an extra shield and the boost action over them. And as for "no offensive or defensive special power", being unstressed after a Talon Roll means you can Focus, which gives offensive or defensive benefits right there.

And if you don't think that extra mobility and options can be useful on both offense and defense, I'm not sure what game you're actually playing, because it sure ain't X-Wing.