Sign in to follow this  
Sekac

(H)ello (N)asty

So what's the deal guys? What do we think of him?

When his card was first spoiled the response I mostly saw was Poe is better. I don't disagree but both can be taken in a list.

I've run him with BB-8 and PtL and really liked him. This was proven to be a great combo on Poe but he usually has better things to do like being PS 10 and regenerating shields. But it works really well on Nastyman to make him extra slippery.

Usually the issue with BB-8 and PtL is if you ever K-turn then you must spend the next turn doing only a green turn and a single action so you can clear the stress. But with a white T-roll he not only gets go do an action that turn, but he's all set to do his 3 action madness on the very next turn!

I'm occasionally tempted to use PtL after doing my roll but I would caution anyone to do this very sparingly. Only if you absolutely have to. Because if you do it and get it wrong, you become much more predictable on the following turn. 'Ello has to be nimble to be worth it.

For reference the list I tried was:

37: Poe w/ VI, R5-P9, Thrusters

37: Ello w/ PtL, BB-8, Thrusters

26: Biggs w/ R4-D6, Integrated Astro

I went 1-1 with it but have little experience getting the best out of Biggs. Definitely curious to check it out again. But now that I've gotten a 3rd T-70 from my lovely girlfriend, I'm going to remove Biggs and Ello's Autothrusters to make room for a Red Veteran with Crack Shot, R2 astro, and integrated mech.

What is everyone else trying, what's working and not?

I haven't heard anything since the first leak.

He's **** fun. Slippery and agile, almost as I always envisioned a X-wing to fly.

I ran this in a best of three round robin against two lists the other night:

Poe: VI, R5-P9, AT (37)

Ello: VI, R2, AT (34)

Blue Ace: BB-8 (29)

Poe was tanky and irritating to focus fire at, while Ello and BA got all janky and remained arc dodgers and mostly chasing things to where Poe could pummel them also.

Might have a better option for EPT available for Ello by dropping the R2, as he gained exactly zero stress over those games...

I like him as well, but I just don't see an obvious way to kit him out because none of the astromechs really synergize with his ability. I like the idea of Outmaneuver, but that makes his action economy a problem. Predator is a cop-out choice because it is always a good option. I hope there are more astromechs that facilitate his movement in the future, but it looks like BB and PtL are the best upgrades for him at the moment.

I really enjoy flying him with Crackshot and R4-D6/IA but only because I cram X-wing Aces together in squads and I feel like he can be cheap and efficient.

I flew him the first night I picked up the expansion and basically threw in Poe and Wedge as more bait-y type ships so I could make max use of his ability and he did not disappoint.

Took me forever to figure out the title of this thread

Correction, it took you no more than 8 minutes to figure out the title ;) Welcome to the party!

Poe: VI, R5-P9, AT (37)

Ello: VI, R2, AT (34)

Blue Ace: BB-8 (29)

...Might have a better option for EPT available for Ello by dropping the R2, as he gained exactly zero stress over those games...

Ooh I like that list. Might I suggest an R5 astromech as an alternate for the same cost? They're highly underrated these days. The new damage deck has more continuing effect type crits than ever so this is especially good. And it's a good defense for the occasional attack that skips shields (proton bomb, advanced homing missile).

I'm thinking something more like Poe, Ello, and a Stresshog. Could be super nasty against a pretty wide variety of lists.

Well sure, but there weren't any stresshogs in the new movie ;)

I like him as well, but I just don't see an obvious way to kit him out because none of the astromechs really synergize with his ability. I like the idea of Outmaneuver, but that makes his action economy a problem. Predator is a cop-out choice because it is always a good option. I hope there are more astromechs that facilitate his movement in the future, but it looks like BB and PtL are the best upgrades for him at the moment.

That's what I like about him, there isn't just one obvious combo, he just has a generally useful ability behind a solid statline. Outmaneuver is a great option, I think. With BB-8 perhaps to give him a little more action efficiency? Autothrusters work well here, but I think he's just fine without them too.

Thanks for the replies! Keep 'em coming!

Edited by Sekac

I've only just gotten my TFA core set, but after seeing the movie, I'm looking to try a few Poe lists. This is one of the first one's I made, featuring a defensive build from Ello.

Poe Dameron (38) T-70 X-Wing (31), BB-8 (2) Push the Limit (3), Autothrusters (2)

Ello Asty (38) T-70 X-Wing (30), R2 Astromech (1), Comm Relay (3), Juke (2), Autothrusters (2)

Rebel Operative (24) HWK-290 (16), Twin Laser Turret (6), Jan Ors (2)

The idea is to slow play the first turn to give Ello an Evade that he just sits on for the rest of the game, to trigger Juke every time he fires, though he could use it defensively in a pinch. I also tucked the R2 Astro onboard, as a "just-in-case," considering the prevalence of stress in the meta. I really want to be able to have my white Talon rolls available when I need them. 

I could also change Poe's build from the PTL+BB-8 build to the VI+R2D2 build, since it's the same cost, to give him some more staying power, especially when late-game rolls around. 

The RO in this list is mostly there to provide Jan, but with a TLT onboard, I think it could be really annoying to take an evade every turn it's getting shot at, while still having two 3 Dice attacks back, provided no one gets in the donut, of course. That being said, if someone's focusing the HWK first in this list, Poe and Ello should eat them alive, especially if the game goes late.

I ran a  2 Red Squadron Veteran Ello list all 3 upgraded the same, Targeting astromech/ Integrated asteromech/ Hull upgrade/ Cool hand and It was rather good.

You had the integrated astromech modification and hull upgrade modification at the same time? Maybe it's why you had success?

He seems great, I'd run him fully loaded with a fully loaded Poe.

What? You mean LO    ST? Yeah, white Talons are pretty slick, particularly when followed by his native Boost.

When they talk about him on the Scum and Villany podcast, it's pointed out that he doesn't need VI, as he simply has too many options for your opponent to effectively plan for all of them.

This is why I hate Super Dash.

What about R5-X3 to give him even more unpredictability?

I know, I don't really like it either.

I like the idea of trolling and boosting through an asteroid field even if it's only once. Might change the tide of a battle in a timed game. It also makes AT nearly automatic.

What? You mean LO ST? Yeah, white Talons are pretty slick, particularly when followed by his native Boost.

When they talk about him on the Scum and Villany podcast, it's pointed out that he doesn't need VI, as he simply has too many options for your opponent to effectively plan for all of them.

And why Dash is still super effective, despite being PS 7. They can block high PS ships very effectively and can run circles around low PS ships.

I hate how he's only 1 point less than Poe

still, 35 points for Predator + thrusters isn't too bad, I suppose

Yeah maybe he could be a point cheaper but he can make those points back easily. Integrated astro is 2 points cheaper than AT if you're looking for a bargain. BB-8 also seems like he could easily be a 3 point card since he's kinda like expert handling and advanced sensors rolled together into a charming little sphere.

Edited by Sekac

Poe - PtL, R5-P9, Autothrusters

Hello Nasty - PtL, R2-D2, Autothrusters

That's 78 points. For 22 points you can go:

Green Squadron - Refit, Test Pilot, PtL, and Juke

You have a decent blocker and unlike VI builds you have action economy. And your blocker has PS and good offense against the common PS 2 ship thrown in to every other build these days. I feel that with Hello Nasty's white Talon roll followed by a boost, setting up kill boxes and such should be easy, lessening the need for VI. What does a T-70 even gain from VI anyways? Oh that's right, the ability to boost at PS 10 and not take a focus with Poe. Whoop-de-*******-do.

Alternatively you could ditch Autothrusters for IA's in order to fit the 26 point TLT Stresshog in.

What? You mean LO    ST? Yeah, white Talons are pretty slick, particularly when followed by his native Boost.

And why Dash is still super effective, despite being PS 7. They can block high PS ships very effectively and can run circles around low PS ships.

Or just present a dizzying game ruining amount of possibilities for even a higher PS ship to deal with. God is Kanan Jarrus going to ruin the game.

Edited by ParaGoomba Slayer

Poe+R5-P9+VI+AT

Ello+R2-D2+VI+AT

Blue Novice+R3-A2+IA

This list has a PS 10 and 9, two of the ships regenerates shields (and laughs at turrets), and the other causes stress to everything it shoots.  It is hard to pick which to go after first, as the other two will burn you.  I'll be flying this list until the next wave finally comes out.

Blue Novice+R3-A2+IA

That's an interesting alternative to the stresshog Y-Wing. It doesn't toss out as much stress, but it's got a better dial and defense, so it might absorb more fire before it goes down or get back into the fight more quickly after the first pass.

And will do more damage. It is a very real and annoying threat.