Sign in to follow this  
alphastryke

Can someone stat Obi Wan for me?

I want to see if this game can do that, and how much xp it will take. Can someone stat padawan Obi Wan as he was in TPM right before dueling Maul (and thus gaining a bunch of xp for winning the duel), and then Master Obi Wan as he was in AOTC, with xp points spent for each build?

Tried to build him at clone wars levels

He turned out to be:

Cost: 1,010 xp

Class: Seeker

Specs: Ataru Striker,Pathfinder,Hunter,Soresu Defender

will put more if you need it but this is well out of the range of a stranded group

Don't worry so much about following "canon" or "Legends". If you want to stat him out, pick a lightsaber tree and maybe a Force tree or social tree (to cover his supposed reputation for negotiation, I recommend sage for the double FR talents). Invest in a little of Move, a little of Enhance, a little of Influence, and a little of Sense. Finally, sprinkle your skills in a few places. Up your Lightsaber skill, negotiation, Streetwise, and discipline, and I think you'll get the feel of Obi Wan quite well.

More important than Career, Specialization, or Force Powers, is the Roleplaying. If you want to play as Obi Wan, remember the kind of Jedi he is at his Core. He's the paragon of what it means to be a Jedi. He prefers negotiation and compromise of aggression and subterfuge. Violence is the last measure.

Edited by kaosoe

FnD Core Book Pg. 63 Lower right hand corner (LITERALLY OUT OF THE BOOK!). Hopefully this helps :)

"Obi-Wan Kenobi is, ultimately, a Guardian. When he began his career, he focused on becoming a talented duelist, believing that this was the best way for him to serve the Jedi Order. Eventually, he became an accomplished general as well as a capable negotiator. Finally, as he moved into hiding from the Galactic Empire, he focused on surviving in the wastelands of Tatooine.

Each of these roles could be explained as the result of a decision by Obi-Wan to pursue a different specialization within the Guardian career. During his time as a Padawan, the young Jedi focused on refining his lightsaber expertise as a Soresu Defender. Then, when the Clone Wars erupted, he had no choice but to transfer to the Peacekeeper path as he led units into battle and negotiated treaties. Finally, as he entered hiding and attempted to live outside of civilization, he embraced the Protector path."

Edited by Jedifish

FnD Core Book Pg. 63 Lower right hand corner. Hopefully this helps :)

"Obi-Wan Kenobi is, ultimately, a Guardian. When he began his career, he focused on becoming a talented duelist, believing that this was the best way for him to serve the Jedi Order. Eventually, he became an accomplished general as well as a capable negotiator. Finally, as he moved into hiding from the Galactic Empire, he focused on surviving in the wastelands of Tatooine.

Each of these roles could be explained as the result of a decision by Obi-Wan to pursue a different specialization within the Guardian career. During his time as a Padawan, the young Jedi focused on refining his lightsaber expertise as a Soresu Defender. Then, when the Clone Wars erupted, he had no choice but to transfer to the Peacekeeper path as he led units into battle and negotiated treaties. Finally, as he entered hiding and attempted to live outside of civilization, he embraced the Protector path."

by all acounts I can find he started as a Ataru user then switched to Soresu user when he found Ataru lacking in the defense category.

he was also shown in the films and clone wars TV show to have a way with animals thus the Pathfinder Spec. 

As for the Negotiator thing

This can be explained by using the Human free career skills (I gave him Negotiate and Charm) and by use of the Influence Control power :that effects Negotiate and Charm and some others.

Edited by tenchi2a

alphastryke, on 29 Dec 2015 - 9:37 PM, said:

I want to see if this game can do that, and how much xp it will take. Can someone stat padawan Obi Wan as he was in TPM right before dueling Maul (and thus gaining a bunch of xp for winning the duel), and then Master Obi Wan as he was in AOTC, with xp points spent for each build?

In this game, You build NPC like you want without caring about XP.

alphastryke, on 29 Dec 2015 - 9:37 PM, said:

In this game, You build NPC like you want without caring about XP.

I believe the point was to see how much XP it would take to make a main character from the movies, not to make a NPC for the game.

I was interested to see how much XP it would take my players to reach this level to.

Main characters from the movies at the height of their story are deliberately beyond the scope of this game. It says as much during the Jewel of Yavin adventure when you have to deal with Lando. And if a non-Jedi secondary character like Lando is beyond the scope of this game, then Obi-Wan sure as heck is too.

If you're looking for a way to incorporate Obi-Wan into your game, characters like that are best used as cameos that don't roll dice but instead do cool stuff where the PCs can see them so that they don't upstage the heroes but can still be there for the players to geek out over. The last thing you want is for the "If it's statted we will kill it" mentality to kick in either.

Lastly, don't try to measure your character or your group against the characters that inspired them in things like XP values and class abilities, but rather in narrative accomplishments and their ability to be memorable.

Now, if this is purely a thought experiment of the "what class is X character" variety, then carry on and I shall sit quietly in my armchair with a monocle and bubble pipe.

Edited by drbraininajar

Folks, I stated in my OP that Obi Wan as he was in TPM aka Padawan Obi Wan. He was not near the height of his abilities then.

I also find it utterly ridiculous when people make excuses like 'a certain character is beyond the scope of the game' That only tells me the game system is deeply flawed if it cannot handle making a core character like Obi Wan.

Anyhow, someone over at Reddit had a go at TPM Obi Wan (Padawan Kenobi) and then more experienced (Jedi Knight Kenobi)

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwxaAHKapB7rejBwRklqLXVKOG8&usp=sharing

Here is the reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/swrpg/comments/3yqe4h/stat_obi_wan_using_fd/

Apparently in the early beta books there used to be a Force Rating chart which was removed for the final versions of the books by FFG. They had a Knight as FR 5 and a Padawan as FR 3.

I also have to say I do not understand where people are coming from with thousands of xp required; there is really no need for that. Though if there is, is there anything wrong with that? Thousand+ xp in the FFG rpg can equate to levels 13+ in SW Saga (Master Level Obi Wan was level 14-16 in that game if I recall correctly) I do not recall any rule in FFG preventing you from either starting that high or reaching that high with your PCs. Heck, with such a huge gap in between the movies, especially ep 6-7 even if you stick to movie cannon who knows what happened; maybe your PCs were the ones to accomplish great things during that time. (such as giving Snoke those wounds ;) )

Folks, I stated in my OP that Obi Wan as he was in TPM aka Padawan Obi Wan. He was not near the height of his abilities then.

I also find it utterly ridiculous when people make excuses like 'a certain character is beyond the scope of the game' That only tells me the game system is deeply flawed if it cannot handle making a core character like Obi Wan.

Anyhow, someone over at Reddit had a go at TPM Obi Wan (Padawan Kenobi) and then more experienced (Jedi Knight Kenobi)

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwxaAHKapB7rejBwRklqLXVKOG8&usp=sharing

Here is the reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/swrpg/comments/3yqe4h/stat_obi_wan_using_fd/

Apparently in the early beta books there used to be a Force Rating chart which was removed for the final versions of the books by FFG. They had a Knight as FR 5 and a Padawan as FR 3.

I also have to say I do not understand where people are coming from with thousands of xp required; there is really no need for that. Though if there is, is there anything wrong with that? Thousand+ xp in the FFG rpg can equate to levels 13+ in SW Saga (Master Level Obi Wan was level 14-16 in that game if I recall correctly) I do not recall any rule in FFG preventing you from either starting that high or reaching that high with your PCs. Heck, with such a huge gap in between the movies, especially ep 6-7 even if you stick to movie cannon who knows what happened; maybe your PCs were the ones to accomplish great things during that time. (such as giving Snoke those wounds ;) )

I still have the beta book. pg. 176 Table 8-1: Force Rating

this chart was remove due to the ranges being way of.

FR-Example

0 - common populace

1 - Jedi Youngling

2 - Self-taught or Padawan

3 - Young Knight

4 - Well-trained Knight

5 - Vet Knight

6 - Master/Sith Lord

7 - Legendary

The problem is that I've never seen anyone reach a consensus. Hence the reason FFG has steered clear of statting out movie characters. Even when they have, in the case of Lando in the Jewel of Yavin, it is only in regards to the medium that they show up in and not comprehensive.

This table was dropped due to it being not terribly accurate.

I also have to say I do not understand where people are coming from with thousands of xp required; there is really no need for that.

This tends to stem from people trying to "accurately" depict every action the character takes on screen in game mechanics.

I would probably make Phantom Obi fairly basic. A lightsaber tree (the agility style is good for this movie), and move/sense with some enhancement training (force leap as an action). Can't see him starting out with anymore then 150 exp, as he wouldn't be adverse to spending some conflict as and when necessary with a sizeable 10/15 exp dose per part of the adventure he was actively involved in. (opening scene, jungle, rescue of queen, all the other stuff in between would roughly give him 15/25 assuming the group shares their earnings. Then another 20 for the fight with maul at the end of the campaign. At most he would receive 100 over the adventure for being a challenge for a lower level, but most likely less.). There's noting that the Jedi really do that requires a force rating that is that high, thus a second tree would be fairly low on his priorities (aside from move object, but since he always acts in concert with Qui-Gon, it could be argued that he's assisting checks). All in all, he's a well trained lightsaber combatant that was really good at dealing with combat situations, but with a balanced spread of stats that made most situations possible. All in all, a solid early template that could be expanded on in later instalments once he became a Jedi. Sure, he couldn't take Maul entirely by himself, but his focused lightsaber build meant he was hitting way above the weight of many characters under that situation.

Later on he would change lightsaber forms because after his masters death he felt that the form was no longer appropriate, so the refunded exp was spent in a form promoting stamina. To get more showboaty, he invested in sage to reflect wisdom in force and the ability to rapidly enhance his abilities. Even later on, I don't really see him doing anything that he couldn't with a force rating of 3. Thus sage would probably be satisfactory enough to round him off. All the while developing force powers to use when needed. The alternative is to apply more seasoning him by giving him relateable guardian trees. He's definitely not a tech guy, so protector and the new commander class would both be sweet choices. The battle with Dooku and being so easily overpowered could simply be attributed to his character not having time to recover strain, thus he couldn't really fight at his best.

I sound awfully vague, but having played as a Jedi in a similar one shot campaign I felt that I was able to fit in quite nicely as an apprentice.

Sorry if I came off wrong OP. It's just that I know from experience what kind of "can of worms" gets opened up whenever you try to stat out a major character from a universe you're RPing in, and I didn't want that to happen if you were trying to incorporate a young ObiWan into a campaign somehow.

As I said above, if this is more of a speculative character-building thing, I don't have much to say on it other than a character that plays like TPM ObiWan probably has Sense, Enhance, and Move, and is a Peacekeeper or Protector (or maybe Niman Disciple?) that has just recently dipped into Soresu.

Edited by drbraininajar

Sorry if I came off wrong OP. It's just that I know from experience what kind of "can of worms" gets opened up whenever you try to stat out a major character from a universe you're RPing in, and I didn't want that to happen if you were trying to incorporate a young ObiWan into a campaign somehow.

As I said above, if this is more of a speculative character-building thing, I don't have much to say on it other than a character that plays like TPM ObiWan probably has Sense, Enhance, and Move, and is a Peacekeeper or Protector (or maybe Niman Disciple?) that has just recently dipped into Soresu.

I agree about the force powers, but i think that he can be accurately represented by a lightsaber spec + human bonus skills. And ataru striker works well for TPM. He is mainly a combat charcter in that film, the diplomatic is Qui-Gon.