Sign in to follow this  
Thom Servo

Damage deck

Forgive me if this has been asked before. I searched and didn't find anything.

So I just got the TFA core set but have also had the original core and a lot more. Should I combine the damage decks into one massive deck? It seems there is some damage cards that are not in the original.

Forgive me if this has been asked before. I searched and didn't find anything.

So I just got the TFA core set but have also had the original core and a lot more. Should I combine the damage decks into one massive deck? It seems there is some damage cards that are not in the original.

Never combine decks, even if they're from the same core set. The damage deck is required to be 33 cards. No more, no less. Its crucial that the makeup of a damage deck remains unchanged, and adding more cards or swapping out cards will change that, making it an illegal deck. The current tournament rules say you can use either the old one or the TFA one.

From the 4.0 Tourney FAQ , pg 4 under Squad Building, I'm on my phone so it was easier to copy the paragraph)

each player must bring all components needed for their squad and games. this includes (but is not limited to) dice, a range ruler, maneuver templates, and a complete damage deck. players may choose to use either the original Core set damage deck or the Force awakensTM core set damage deck. the to is not expected to supply any game components to players.

Well, it's hardly crucial.

It's important for tournament play, but beyond that it really doesn't matter all that much because it's not going to alter the odds in any predictable way. The rules of the game say to keep the damage deck as is. If you want to house rule it to have modified DDs the game is still going to play just the same.

For reference, the 2 DDs have different backs, so you can identify which deck a card is supposed to belong to, they are supposed to be 33 cards, 7 direct hits and 2 copies each of the 13 other unique cards for that style deck.

Don't combine damage decks even if they are the same type.

Originally, FFG had said that only the newly released DD would be legal in tournament at a certain point but they have back pedalled and presently the use of either deck is legal for the known future.

Mixing decks does change the probabilities of finding any given card.  Normally if you see two of a given card (except Direct Hit) you no longer need to worry about that card coming up again but if you mix two decks then there are still copies in there to draw.