Sign in to follow this  
Ryertangent

What spray primer do you use?

Just as the title says. I have had no luck with primers here in florida. Tried the p3 white with best possible weather and still seem to get quite a bit of fuzz. Tried the krylon color master matte and a little better but not like what I see in some videos. Any suggestions?

I like the GW primers as well. They are more expensive, but there is a quality difference as well. I found the p3 spray to be chunky as well, but you get a nice fine consistent spray with the citadel stuff. My experience anyway...

I have used krylon colormaster primers. They work really well. It helps the paint to adhere to the plastic. You can get them at hobby lobby, maybe walmart because the ones in my area have done away from them. I found Sherman Williams stores and under the right conditions in 10 to 15 minutes you can touch them. Now the cover max primer takes a little bit longer to dry. So I would try them and see how they work for you.

I've had bad luck using Army Painter White.  Their gray and black seem to be great though.  Does someone have a suggestion for a high-quality white primer?

I'm with you on the Army Painter White. The first can I bought of it was good but the second one gave the figure a very gritty surface. Then it clogged. I even emailed the company and they sent me more nozzles but it didn't help. They all immediately clogged up and then even replacing the nozzle did nothing. Army Painter Gray and Black have worked perfectly for me. I even used the AM Black to fix a cheap garden chair. Some paint had flaked off of its metallic armrest so I fixed it with the primer. It has survived the elements so far (5 months).

I used Citadel's Skull White but it seems to cover less than Army Painter White so I had a feeling I needed more of it to get an even coverage. But at least it didn't clog up. That can ran out so I bought a third Army Painter white on a discount. I'm hoping this one is a good can. If not, I'm not going to use Army Painter White primer anymore.

i use all the army painter sprays. the white one does seem to leave a chunkier finish to the model. I have not had it fill in any ridge detail yet though, but i must admit, i am a lot more careful when using it the white in comparison to other army painter sprays

GW white primer all the way. Been having a trip with Army Painter as well, and too felt it was way way uneven on the surface. Depending on which colors you want to use on the mini, you don't need to prime the miniature until it is fully white. You just need a layer to make the real paint grib firmly. Obviously, if you are washing straight on to the primer (as I do a lot) it needs to be properly sprayed.

I tried primer at the beginning (it was one of my first experiences painting) and it went horribly. After that point, I have never used primer. The only problem I have had is with the royal guards losing their paint, and a friend of mine has told me that I can solve this with a space heater. (If I can just get around to it). But the miniatures soak up the paint wonderfully, and I see no reason to start using primer.

As an alternative way to prime the figures, GW has Imperial Primer which is very dark gray or black brush-on primer.

I'm not sure how good that is. I've used sprays because they're faster. And I can usually find a weather window to prime figures weeks before I actually have time to paint them.

Thanks guys.  

My first batch of Army Painter white was great...my Stormtroopers were my first painted IA minis and they turned out great.  But my next 2 cans of white primer were horrible...both of them left the gritty surface that some of you have described.  I bought some Simple Green to get the stuff off, and now I'm ready to start again.  This time I think I'll use the GW/Citadel white primer and see how that works.  

I haven't had a bit of trouble with the Army Painter Black or Gray though...those have been smooth and even the whole time.

I tried primer at the beginning (it was one of my first experiences painting) and it went horribly. After that point, I have never used primer. The only problem I have had is with the royal guards losing their paint, and a friend of mine has told me that I can solve this with a space heater. (If I can just get around to it). But the miniatures soak up the paint wonderfully, and I see no reason to start using primer.

Really? I don't even see how this is possible. When I have just the smallest area that doesn't have primer covering it get painted, it takes 2-3 times of going over it before it will even stick. The unprimed areas usually just slosh around and I have to put a very large amount of paint to get it to adhere. 

Duplicolor white sandable primer available in autoparts stores or in the auto section of big box store. They also make black but I airbrush my base coats and don't need a black undercoat.

I found this spray primer to give a great working surface and be far stronger a bond with the serface of miniatures of most materials.

Really? I don't even see how this is possible. When I have just the smallest area that doesn't have primer covering it get painted, it takes 2-3 times of going over it before it will even stick. The unprimed areas usually just slosh around and I have to put a very large amount of paint to get it to adhere. 

The stormtroopers took a number of coats, but that was only to get the white I wanted. I have been using inexpensive paints such as testor's, I don't know if that has any effect.