Sign in to follow this  
VirMortalis

New to X-Wing

Hello All,

I have been playing Imperial Assault (none competitive) since it was released and recently got watching lots of X-Wing vids on YouTube with Team Cov and really got interested in the game.

I am going to be picking up the core set in the next couple of weeks and want to build a squad I can have fun and maybe enter store tournaments with.

I was using XWing-builder.co.uk website to create a squad and this is what I came up with for 100 Points.

Darth Vader (33) TIE Advanced (29), TIE/x1 (0), Veteran Instincts (1), Targeting Computer (2), Advanced Targeting Computer (5)

Soontir Fel (35) TIE Interceptor (27), Royal Guard TIE (0), Marksmanship (3), Stealth Device (3), Autothrusters (2)

Academy Pilot (16) x 2 TIE Fighter (12), Engine Upgrade (4)

Bare in mind I have yet to play this I was just reading what the cards do using the site and watching the videos.

Feel free to give me any advice possible before I make the plunge and what sets I need to get to acquire any cards needed.

Again thank you for your time in helping a newbie

If you're going for tournaments, you won't be able to proxy and then you're looking at a hefty outlay. Look here for the Han shopped first thread (if someone has the link handy that'd be appreciated).

Forget Marksmanship, you don't need or want it. For now, until you're more experienced, consider Push the Limit glued to Soontir Fel.

Engine Upgrades on Academies are a waste of points best used elsewhere.

1) Targeting Computer is unnecessary on Vader. He already has the Target Lock action.

2) Soontir Fel wants Push the Limit to get a stress and an extra Focus (even if he took a Focus action).

3) Engine Upgrades are lackluster on Academy TIEs (and most small/generic pilots) since Boost is a great repositioning tool and response to seeing lower skill pilots move; plus you already have Barrel Roll to enhance movement and block higher skill pilots.

Welcome, good luck, and have fun!

Hey VirMortalis! Welcome to the game!

Repeat after me: "If I have 35 points, Fel uses Stealth, Autothrusters, PTL. Stealth, Autothrusters, PTL"

There is really no reason to run Marksmanship on a ship that only gets one attack per turn.

Good Luck, and Fly Casual!

Hey VirMortalis! Welcome to the game!

Repeat after me: "If I have 35 points, Fel uses Stealth, Autothrusters, PTL. Stealth, Autothrusters, PTL"

There is really no reason to run Marksmanship on a ship that only gets one attack per turn.

Good Luck, and Fly Casual!

Fel uses  Stealth , Autothrusters, Push the Limit :D

OK so the Academy Pilots are not worth the extra boost thanks :)

And Vader doesnt need an extra target lock

Right now to find Han Shopped First post :) much appreciate the help guys

Welcome to the game. There is a squad list subforum for future reference but I'll attempt to offer some pointers

For Vader the TIE advanced comes with target lock so targeting computer is redundant. The TIE/x1 is a great card but the problem is that it currently only comes in the Imperial Raider set which will matter if you ever decide to play in tournaments. I think people like to run engine upgrade on Vader however.

Soontir Fel is pretty much how everyone else runs him the EPT slot is variable from what I've seen so while I don't think Marksmanship is the best option I'd go with Veteran Instincts to ensure he always moves last which will ensure he has the best chance to get out of arc or push the limit which also will help him get out of arc.

Academy pilots should be run as cheap as possible they are fillers and can be a pain in the butt for opponents but they aren't meant to last long. Engine upgrade would be a waste of points on them.

The Imperial Shuttle with Palpatine is generally run in this list. Palpatine comes in the Imperial Raider set as well as the TIE/x1 so you'd knock out both with a purchase. Run the shuttle cheap with Palp and it is a solid list.

However, total cost for that list is pretty steep you're looking at Vader ($15), Fel from interceptor box ($15), Starviper for autothrusters ($15), Imperial Raider for TIE X/1 and advanced targeting computer ($100), Imperial Aces for Royal Guard ($30), Millenium Falcon for Engine upgrade ($40 but I've seen it for $30 in stores), M3-A1 Syck for Stealth Device ($15), and finally the starter set for the academy pilots make sure its the red box ($30). So buying MSRP you're looking at 260 dollars to play in a tournament.

If money is a concern I would not drop all that money when just getting into the game but that's just my opinion especially since proxying is a no no in a tournament scene.

For alternate lists I'll leave that to the people much better at this game than I.

Edited by maniacmcgoo

HOK: IMPERIAL SQUAD

100 points

PILOTS

Darth Vader (35)

TIE Advanced (29),

TIE/x1 (0),

Veteran Instincts (1),

Engine Upgrade (4),

Advanced Targeting Computer (5)

Soontir Fel (35)

TIE Interceptor (27),

Royal Guard TIE (0),

Push the Limit (3),

Stealth Device (3),

Autothrusters (2)

Omicron Group Pilot (30)

Lambda-Class Shuttle (21),

Emperor Palpatine (8),

Tactical Jammer (1)

So just a monthly play by play in meantime I can get the core set and get used to the game, the rules whilst i put the bits together for the squad =)

Edited by VirMortalis

If you want a 'reasonable' entry point into the game that you could play at a tournament that is imperial... I'd recommend something with a Decimator.

For $125 you could get the core ($40), a VT-49 Decimator ($40), Imperial Aces ($30) and a TIE Interceptor ($15) and easily put together a Rear Adml Chiraneau/Soontir Fel list which is fairly competitive nicely imperial and can be fairly forgiving.

I would recommend against getting the Raider as one of your first purchases.

In order to fly ATC Vader, you would have to spend around $120 and that locks you into one ship.

For the same amount of money, you could get Imperial Aces, TIE Interceptor, Decimator, and a 2nd Core Set (you want those dice anyway).

That's a much more balanced and diverse start to your collection in my opinion.

I would recommend against getting the Raider as one of your first purchases.

I would tend to agree... Unless the Tie Advanced was someone's favorite ship. In that case the money may be 'well spent' (as well spent as money ever is on a hobby), since they really want to fly Vader in that ship. Plus then you have something to use for Epic games.

Keep in mind that a lot of prices mentioned here are full retail. Core sets can be found for around $25 US, Raider $65, Falcon $20, Tie Advanced $10 and so on.

My son bought 2 IG-2000s at a store tournament for $30, including all components and upgrades. $30 is the normal retail price for one and these were like new.

Look for deals online and on Ebay. If you find a local group, most people will loan you ships and other components. One guy in our local group took a 4 ship list to Worlds and 2 were loaned to him. He finished Top 16.

Edited by USCGrad90

For the Tie Advanced upgrade cards, if you are not planning on running more than Vader then you can find the Tie/x1 title and Advanced Targeting Computer on Ebay for around $10-15US. There is a seller that stocks all manner of upgrades that operates out of the UK which would probably be cheaper as well. creativeworldgames is the UK ebay seller and they currently have Tie/x1 for GBP 6.99 and ATC for GBP 3.99.

I have so far collected the extra Tie Adv. pilots and two copies of the title and ATC for $45US and I am thinking of nabbing a third so I can run a 3 Tempest squadron list. Half the cost of buying a Raider. I'm not that interested in Epic play and ships mainly due to a limited budget for the game.

If you're going for tournaments, you won't be able to proxy and then you're looking at a hefty outlay. Look here for the Han shopped first thread (if someone has the link handy that'd be appreciated).

Forget Marksmanship, you don't need or want it. For now, until you're more experienced, consider Push the Limit glued to Soontir Fel.

Engine Upgrades on Academies are a waste of points best used elsewhere.

http://randolphw.github.io/han-shopped-first/

Also, the builder: https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/

HOK: IMPERIAL SQUAD

100 points

PILOTS

Darth Vader (35)

TIE Advanced (29),

TIE/x1 (0),

Veteran Instincts (1),

Engine Upgrade (4),

Advanced Targeting Computer (5)

Soontir Fel (35)

TIE Interceptor (27),

Royal Guard TIE (0),

Push the Limit (3),

Stealth Device (3),

Autothrusters (2)

Omicron Group Pilot (30)

Lambda-Class Shuttle (21),

Emperor Palpatine (8),

Tactical Jammer (1)

So just a monthly play by play in meantime I can get the core set and get used to the game, the rules whilst i put the bits together for the squad =)

That's a strong list, although be aware that it does punish you for mistakes. Soontir dies quickly if caught in a bad spot. That said, I've played variations and this list is really fun to play. Very capable of reacting to whatever your opponent does, two strong aces, and tons of dice modification. You'll also learn positioning quickly this way because Soontir relies on it.

Welcome to the game!

I also agree that your list is strong and once you assemble it, it will take a bit of practice to get used to flying those aces, so do not get discouraged if you do not start winning games off the bat.  It is all about having fun and getting better each game you play.

There is one other option to get some of the cards you are looking for, and that is to trade for them.  There is a facebook group--https://www.facebook.com/groups/StarWarsXwingSwapandSell/--that you can post if you are looking just for singles.  Sometimes people have spares they are willing to part with or entire collections for better deals than buying new.  For example, I have some extra TIE/x1 Titles that I do not need because the Raider comes with four.  If I wanted to get rid of them, I would use that outlet to do so.  Ebay is another option.  With buying or trading for any used stuff, be sure to verify the upgrades you need are included.  You can go to the X-Wing miniatures wiki to see exactly what comes in each set.

Cheers!

Also, for the most part Vader won't need to be PS 11, there are much more effective EPTs (Elite Pilot Talents) you can give him. Think of things that help him hit without taking actions, like Predator or Lone Wolf. Also he is arguably the only ship in the game that can get good use of Marksmanship, since he can use it and also take something like Evade, or arc dodge with boost or barrel roll.

OK I bought an ex-demo starter box off a retailer I know, I missing a couple of things but that wont effect game play yet since I am waiting for my new 4x4 board to arrive, I have ordered a new base card for Biggs which was missing and he is going to replace the last missing Tracking token, the plus side instead of getting 1 X-Wing and 2 TIEs I ended up with 2 X-Wings and 2 TIEs and an host of other cards that wouldnt normally come in the core which include extra Determination, R5 Astromech, R5-K6, Expert Handling, Swarm Tactics, Extra 2x Marksmanship, extra Proton Torpedoes and 2x additional Stunned Pilot damage cards further more ended up with Wedge Antilles and base, 2x Rookie Pilot cards, 1x Black Squadron Pilot, 1x Obsidian Squadron Pilot, Gray Squadron Pilot, Gold Squadron Pilot, Horton Salm, "Dutch" Vander (no Y-Wings in this box) and some extra tokens.

Ordered some acrylic templates for movement and range since them cardboard ones dont look all that great so on the way is a black set with Imperial Logos :)

Question:

1. The core set is designed for 2 people, which is great and since I gained an additional X-Wing it will be 2 on 2 in combat, Damage deck contains 33 cards do both players share the one damage deck or is the damage deck split and each player have 16 cards with 1 left doing nothing.

I have to say I am impressed by the detailing on these models and can't wait to try my Howlrunner & Mauler Mithrel vs Luke and Wedge against my friend

Ok, there is a reason that ships have different point values. In an "even" fight, tie fighters will never beat x-wings. 2v1 is fair, 3 aces loaded up vs 2 generics is fair, but 2v2? The x-wings will always win.

You can share the damage deck to start, and I highly recommend picking up the new core set, if your friend enjoys the game. (Asking to split sometimes goes over well...)

To start you share a damage deck. But getting a second core set is great value (now that there are two, get one of each). Not only for the ships, but you also get a set of dice and more templates which is very convenient when you're supplying everything for two players. A second range ruler is also very welcome.

Some people take their second range ruler and split that into a R1 ruler and a R1 & 2 ruler. That makes it easy to get into tight spaces.

If you're looking to play the Empire, here is the list I suggest to new players.  It will help teach you the game and won't cost you an arm and a leg.

2x Omega + Opportunist.

2x RGP + PTL + Shield

Cost (at MSRP):

TFA Core: $39.95

Imperial Aces: $29.95

The list is easy to Fly, but teaches a lot of strategy.  Send the FOs in hard and flank with the RGP.  All four of these ships are more durable than their stats let on.  This is a fun list for a new player and not too complicated (or expensive).  Plus, nothing is wasted (but that Rebel scum X-wing)!

You might also want to check out this thread:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/195036-beginners-shoppers-guide-to-competitive-lists/

Welcome to x-wing!

That's a cool squad you have picked out but unless you want to throw down serious cash I recommend building up to it.

Given you have an extra x-wing and eventually want to fly Vader I think the best thing to pick up would be the tie advanced

2 ties and 1 tie advanced should play well against two x wings. Go ahead and proxy the title and upgrades for Vader and proxy the integrated astromech cards for the x wings

From there if you want to biuld out your imperials you could go with a shuttle or a decsomator. Large ships take some getting used to especially the shuttle.

If you want Vader in turnoment play you will want to pick up the raider. This will give you an extra tie advanced and real versions of the X1 title. so try flying two tie advanced

Then eventually pick up the silly number boxes you need for that "perfect" Fel biuld.