Sign in to follow this  
thecursor

So What's Your Favorite Species That Hasn't Been Made Playable Yet?

Clawdite.

Jawa.

And if I were a betting man, the Jawa is probably going to be announced in the Technician splat (as others have said).  My hope is that maybe Clawdite will show up in the Bounty Hunter splat, when that is finally announced.

I want to see more body diversity. Species that dont follow the standard bipedal, two arm leg torso full of organs biology. I know Star wars has at least a few, not picky as to which actaully make it to a book

Like the two limbed Ortolans. Make it happen FFG.

I want to see more body diversity. Species that dont follow the standard bipedal, two arm leg torso full of organs biology. I know Star wars has at least a few, not picky as to which actaully make it to a book

So I think odds are good that most of the playable species we see are going to follow the standard bipedal biology.  There might be the rare exception (Xexto in Stay on Target, Hutts in Lords of Nal Hutta, and presumable Besalisks in the upcoming Technician book), but as I said, those will be exceptions.

Sure, that's OK for everybody. But something like Besalisk or Vratix or Sluissi once in a while  won't kill anybody either. There would be two "classic" species along with it. And the iconic species are out anyway (assuming you get all three lines).

Kaleesh, partly because I'm interested to see what Fantasy Flight keeps from the old EU and partly because I like the idea of Kaleesh PCs who can redeem the species after Grievous.

Miraluka, because something about them always felt so perfect for the mystical side of Star Wars.

Barabels, because every now and then I want to play Godzilla and Trandoshans lack tails.

Kaleesh, partly because I'm interested to see what Fantasy Flight keeps from the old EU and partly because I like the idea of Kaleesh PCs who can redeem the species after Grievous.

Miraluka, because something about them always felt so perfect for the mystical side of Star Wars.

Barabels, because every now and then I want to play Godzilla and Trandoshans lack tails.

General Grevius, as we knew him, was a Gank Warrior (Aggressor/Shi-cho) in this system. More machine than  humanoid, the Gank's bonus cybergear is the best way to represent him in any playable fashon.

Edited by Rakaydos

So I think odds are good that most of the playable species we see are going to follow the standard bipedal biology.  There might be the rare exception (Xexto in Stay on Target, Hutts in Lords of Nal Hutta, and presumable Besalisks in the upcoming Technician book), but as I said, those will be exceptions.

Sure, that's OK for everybody. But something like Besalisk or Vratix or Sluissi once in a while  won't kill anybody either. There would be two "classic" species along with it. And the iconic species are out anyway (assuming you get all three lines).

They do toss something like that in every once in awhile. Stay on Target has one afterall. And we got the Hutts in EotE. The big problem with tossing a lot of non bipeds out there is that the galaxy at large is built for bipeds and you can't toss a whole bunch of non bipeds out into a system that isn't really optimized for them. 

But overall, they do toss a bone out there on the matter of non bipeds. Is it a lot? No. But then again the greater bulk of the galaxy is made up of bipedals with two arms. That's what the greater bulk of the material focuses on and so it makes sense that that's what they too focus on.

Devaronians. I'd like to see Jawas and Barabels and maybe even the Kubahz or the skunk-people from the old WEG books.  Wroonian/Pantoran would be neat but in a pinch I can just count them as (Near)Human as all that really needs to change is skin color, everything else is really societal. Epicanthix I would just use baseline Human stats for as well. Until Zeltrons are officially published (if they are) I would allow anyone who wants to play one to use baseline Human and trade the free skills for a free rank of Charm and maybe a talent with an effect similar to the Falleens' pheremones.

General Grevius, as we knew him, was a Gank Warrior (Aggressor/Shi-cho) in this system. More machine than  humanoid, the Gank's bonus cybergear is the best way to represent him in any playable fashon.

I'm not interested in aping Grievous. I'm just drawn to the idea of a character, particularly someone as noble as a Jedi, being downtrodden and spat upon because the most famous member of their species was one of the greatest mass murderers in recent galactic history.

A great many Star Wars campaigns tend to have a very heavy representation of Humans or species that look very similar to Humans, such as Twi'leks, Chiss (Enter the Unknown), Mirailans, Togruta, and Zabraks.  You'll see Wookiees every so often simply because of Chewie's iconic nature (though given his bigger role in The Force Awakens, I'd be surprised if there's not an upswing in the number of folks looking to play Wookiee PCs).  I've played in campaigns across the various Star Wars RPG systems where there was a single "token" non-Human, which was either a Twi'lek, a Wookiee, or a Droid, while the rest were Humans.

Heh, my group is currently a Wookie, a Trandoshan, and an R5 Astromech droid.  Anytime an RPG introduces two races that traditionally hate each other, my group wants to play both of them.

A former poster by the name of Maelora had an interesting observation that for many folks, they tend to see the "pretty" species as being suitable for being leads in the story that is the campaign they're playing in, but the more bizarre-looking the species gets, the less viable it appears to be for a leading role, as there's a sense of disconnect between the player and the character that represents them in the setting.

Hi Donovan and others,

I’m still around.  I’m normally just watching rather than commenting, but I take a look every time a new book comes out. As you’ve mentioned me twice in a  few days I thought I’d best comment.   Heh, I’m like Hastur – mention my name a few times and I appear before you J

I haven’t said anything for a year or so. It got quite nasty; I had a few surprising private messages telling me to go away, one of which was quite impolite as regards my gender.  I thought about replying but the tone and content of the boards seemed to have changed drastically over the last year or so. Lots of petty little arguments and infighting and name-calling. (I should mention that with regards you Donovan, despite our frequent disagreements, you never made it personal and I always respected your opinion).

Good to see Desslok and some of the helpful or entertaining commentators still around too.    

To be honest, there’s little reason for me to say much any more.  I don’t have much to contribute with regards to discussing the films  or arguing about ‘builds’. Our game is going really well, with no less than four separate groups playing by email in one campaign.  But our game is so far removed from canon at this point, it’s less of a ‘Star Wars game’ and more of a homage or a reworking.  But the players seem to enjoy it and we’re heading into our second big plot arc (of three) across the various games.

Anyway, back on topic... I was always happy to have a mix of ‘pretty’ and ‘freakish’ races, as I don’t expect the game to cater just to my personal tastes. However, I’d suggest that ‘Star Wars’ is very human-centric, with all the major characters in the films and books and series being human, with occasional humanoids or non-human sidekicks.  I’m not wholly conversant with the EU but I doubt there are too many novels with a non-humanoid lead character.  Even the cartoons like ‘Rebels’, which are digitally-drawn and not restricted to actors wearing suits, went for a mostly human or humanoid cast.  Why? I’d assume most fans relate more to humanoids.  A game without a party consisting of humanoids just doesn’t feel like space opera to me.    Your mileage may vary, which is why I feel they should cater to all tastes.  I do wish they had given us more ‘pretty’ races, as things like Devaronians (which are on the way) and Miraluka would seem popular choices for many players.

There’s also the personal matter that the artist who renders our characters can’t do non-human characters and had huge difficulties even rendering a Duros.  And the group artist flat-out refuses to draw ‘non-pretty’ races.

Anyway,  here’s hoping that everyone who wants a specific species gets their wish this year.*

See you in a year or so, maybe.  

Marcy

(*except people wanting Amani or Ewoks, obviously... J )

Edited by Maelora

Well, not sure about others but I have missed you Maelora.  

As for the comment about freakish/pretty it kind of funny because it actually depends on the type of game we are playing as well as the system.  I have ran and played in games where I pull off the most dashing maneuver and I am the 'freak' of the group and other times I am playing the 'pretty' race and just crash and burn on a social interaction I should excel at.  I have also ran games in other systems where the players assume just because they have a high charisma/presence everyone should automatically like them.  This isn't always the case especially with the setting being in the Empire and the 'alien inferiority' that is instilled in the human populace of the Empire.  However, a great example was we ran afoul of a Hutt early in our adventures and one of the guys was playing a Cathar female, a girl the Zeltron female, a  guy the human male, and myself a Twi'lek male.  Even though the Zeltron and I had the highest Charisma and the most interactive the Hutt decided he wanted to purchase the services of our more reserved and quiet Cathar compatriot.  Now admittedly this was in the Saga system but still sometimes it doesn't matter how good you are in social encounters when a strong willed NPC sets their sights on someone it hard to get them to deviate.  Now we were in no position to say no but after the week service she had to provide she was returned to us.  We asked if, due to Cathar culture, if the Hutt forced or coerced her.  Ironically all he had her do was serve dinner the entire week.  Apparently the Hutt liked her reserve nature and thought that the variety plus that would benefit him during a negotiation with a new business associate.  It worked and she got enough of a bonus for it to help us get our ship out of debt for fees and the local Hutt tax.  

To be honest most of the races I would like to see have been done and to be honest I would like to see rules for creating near Humans.  Or even perhaps some more human variants from different planets like Chandrila or even variants for the races spread out through the galaxy.  Like what if a group of Mon Calamari had broken off from Dax to explore the galaxy and settled on a planet like Hoth many centuries ago would they have adapted to the cold or what skills would they have?  Just for an example mind you.  The galaxy is a big varied place and it be cool to see how the races developed on other worlds.

Does he LOOK like a BITH?

"What?"

BLAM!!!

"What ain't no planet I ever heard of!  They speak Basic on What?  Now I'm gonna ask again.  Does Jabba the Hutt look like a Bith to you!?!"

"We should be dead right now. You see how big that blaster was he fired at us? It was bigger than him!"

"DL-44"

"We should be bantha poodoo!"

"Yea, we sure are lucky."

"That wasn't luck! That was something else"

"Yea, maybe"

"It was... The force! You hear of the force before?"

Bonus:

"Do I have a sign that says dead Rodian storage above my house?"

I love different species and never play humans. My players that don't know much about how a race is makes them uncomfortable and gives them difficulty in playing them.

I've had this problem with players in many games over the years. Fortunately, in both SW games I'm running we have more non-humans than humans.

One problem I do have in both games is that sometimes I assume my players know how many of the species look like when I describe NPCs, and sometimes I have to stop to search for a pic on my phone because none has a clue of what I'm talking about. :P

[edit]

On the late problem, I've found the alien species book for SW D6 to be most helpful, since it has a pic of every species on the book.

Edited by Maese Mateo