Sign in to follow this  
Darkhorse659

Taking a break and coming back

Best post I've read today, thanks for sharing.  I have 2 kids under 2, I get your lack of time and thankfully for us both, sounds like we have equally awesome wives.  Mine asked me today if I was planning on going to play tomorrow night and when I expressed similar doubts to the ones you laid out above, she said just laughed.

Great post.

Thank you very much for the post, it's the best I read in months! I can relate on so many levels, as I am looking at a very similar situation - sans the relocation, but who knows?

Our twins are on the way, and similarly the same name suggestion was promptly shot down, faster than you could shout "Howlrunner, pull ou...".

So glad you had fun, got back in the game - and in style.

Fly casual and enjoy every moment of it ;-)

Can only relate!

Our baby girl will be six months the 4th of january, and play time has been sparse! It's getting better now, going for a 30 pt furball fight this evening. Last expansion i bought was the rebel transport last year but i'll manage!

My beloved gray y wing/ion turret/r2astro /proton torpedo will just ion stuff and watch the others pounce on the helpless bugger :D

Best topic I have read for a looong time :D

Great story and very recognizable and inspiring :)

My eldest daughter is slightly over two years, my youngest daughter is 8 months.

I rarely play, also because I moved several times and my regular group is 180 kilometer north.

Now that I am truly settled it is time to find likeminded opponents in the area :)

Congratulations to you and the misses! Children might cause worry and sleep deprivation, but also a lot of fun!

Cheers!

Great post!

I have a -almost- 4 months baby girl and last game i played was when she was 10 days old (a Summer championship, which I ended to win despite the lack of sleep but surely due to my little Miranda giving me luck & strenght).

I played some Vassal games lately, so I feel lucky i did not cut the hobby completely out.

But it's impossibile to leave Queen and Princess alone if I know they may be in need of my help... so, no professional x-wing player career for me!

But... with two diamonds like those i have, should i care?

Family is great (and you seem to have good priorities), and as kids get older things definitely get a lot easier. Mine are 9 and 11, just getting into Star Wars, and I just bought the TFA Core set to start this week. I fully expect the kids to get into this as much as I will. I was also luck enough to at least get to name the boy, Luke :)

And get out there and see the new movie!

Great to have you back!  I was wondering what happened to you.  I took that Tie Bomber article you wrote and ran with it for a while.  It was great for my Store Championship and I came in 3rd for it.  I was the only undefeated going into Final Four.  I switched to Xizor and Z-95 swarm through the rest of competitive this past year.  Did well and missed the cut to Top 16 due to poor dice in my last game (really, really poor dice).  Since Extra Munitions has come out, I've been loving the Tie Bomber list!

So, pretty much like your list before:

4 x Scimitar Bombers w/ Extra Munitions, Homing Missiles, and Seismic Charge

Works very similar to your old list, but don't need Jonus.  He was a weak point.  Don't have to fly in formation, but can.  The enemy doesn't get to use their Evade, which is great for some ships.  It's working very well these days.

With the new expansion they announced, "Imperial Veterans", they are bringing out Long Range Sensors!  It allows you to get a TL on anyone on the board...except at R1-2.  It will make Tie Bomber lists even better.  I'm looking forward to this expansion quite a bit. 

I credit you with how I got good with Tie Bombers.  There is another local ace who has learned to fear Tie Bombers!

As for the kids, things will improve in a bit and you will get to go out.  Then, it gets worse when they start signing up for activities.  You find yourself driving them to and fro most nights out of the week and then going to parent show nights where they show off whatever it is they are doing.  Eventually they learn to drive.  My oldest just did that this year and it makes life much better to get to game night. 

Congratulations! Great story.

I have a 6 and a 3 year old, and frankly they are the best things that ever happened in my little world. Hard work - but entirely worth it.

Your wife is spot on right pushing you to take a break from it all however ( even for just a couple of hours) - it is good for the soul, and thereby good for the children.

Reciprocate! She might even let you teach them "the glorious game" in a couple of years...

my amazing wife had our first children, yup twins, boy and a girl. And before you ask Luke and Leia got shot down as names faster than Han's Kessel run.

I'm in exactly the same boat - first kids were girl/boy twins.  I had to pretty much take an 18 month break (only got a handful of games in) and only started playing again a couple months ago.  Welcome to being a Dad of multiples!

And at least you can get them little Luke and Leia costumes at Halloween.  :D

I've got a son inching up on two years, and a daughter inching up on two months, and I can relate!

IMO, you have to keep yourself happy, healthy, and sane in order to be a good parent; sounds like your wife recognizes that. Sometimes that means slipping out to the FLGS to roll some dice for a few hours.

Besides, this way you're being a good role model by showing your kids that it's important to have hobbies, right? ;) My son already recognizes the pieces as "Daddy's game," and while he's too young to understand the concept of "game rules" right now, I'm really looking forward to playing with him (the daughter too, though we'll need FFA rules or something by then).

Congrats on the little ones!

Cheese and Rice ...

What the eff is this?  No spoilers?  No whining about spoilers?  No whining about needing to put spoilers in a subject line?  No whining about over-powered, under-utilized, fix-required stuff?

Just a story about family, a great game called X-Wing, a better, understanding, 2.0 new core set called Wife?  A fun night out at a previously unknown FLGS?  Having a great time, and welcoming back a former player, not to mention two new Imperial recruits?

BEST **** POST IN THE PAST MONTH !!!

:P  :D  :lol:

I move in and out with pretty much all of my games; family, work & no local community to my knowledge, nor even a FLGS at which to build one, so opportunities are limited. Mostly, I play with family, and we tend to run a pretty wide variety of games to keep everyone entertained. Lately, that's meant alternately X-wing and Armada for me, Ghostbusters for my brother, and Zombicide for my nephew. None of us keeps current with anything, really (gaming wise), so I haven't run into the horror of the TLT, nor is every season and expansion forbZombicidevstacked in the corner. We buy what we think will make our games more fun, and given that every week's gaming night is met with enthusiasm all around, I'd say we're doing pretty good.

Welcome back to the game. Like a good friend, it never seems to stop inviting us back, whether we're gone for weeks or years.