Nimsim

Fun Character Builds

I been GMing a Force and Destiny game for a couple sessions. For New Years Eve, one of the players is taking over as GM and I'm going to play a character. I wanted to ask people about any interesting character builds they could come up with, including equipment.

The basic guidelines are that this is a Knight Level game with the 150 starting XP and choice of Lightsaber or 9000 credits. In addition, the players have earned 40xp through gameplay that can be used, and have a Mentor giving the Force power discount for that 40 XP. Any material from any of the books, including Edge of the Empire or Age of Rebellion are okay to use. I'm interested in builds that would be interesting to play, even gimmicky ones. The other players in the game will be a Seer focusing on the Move force power and a Warrior Shi Cho Knight. I do want this character to have a Force and Destiny career.

So in summary:

Knight Level play (150xp plus choice of 9000 credits or Lightsaber)

40 additional XP to be used without restriction

Mentor giving 5xp discount to base force powers

Use of any printed FFG material is allowed.

Starting career must be from Force and Destiny

Thanks in advance for help!

It's in the basic setting of Force and Destiny. The characters are fleeing the Empire after attempting to bomb a Coruscant spaceport. They've run into an Inquisitor who has tracked them down.

Honestly, I'm not super interested in the background of the character as I am how it would work in play.

Advisor with the Power of Knowege talent, a maxxed move tree, and as many ranks of lore as you can get away with.

Once a game, pop the talent, flip a destiny to use ALL pips and drop a building/capitalship on someone.

Zabrak Aggressor Infiltrator

Br 3. Ag 2. Int 2. Cun 4. Wil 3. Pres 1.

Wt 15. St 16. Def 1/1. Soak 4.

Coercion 2

Cool 2

Perception 1

Streetwise 1

Survival 1

Meyer 2

Intimidating 2

Fearsome 2

Grit 3 (included in ST)

Toughened 1 (included in WT)

Prey on weak 1

Frenzied Attack 1

Soft Spot 1

Stunning Blow 1

This character had a hard upbringing, living on the streets and always in trouble. Unknowingly using the force to frighten others to get his way. But eventually another Force User found him and began his training, leading him away from the Dark Side and showing him the peace of the Light Side. He found friends in the Rebellion and began putting his skills to use for them.

He is still a Dark Side user, but thanks to his Mentor is well on his way to redemption with a Morality in the high 50's.

He uses a Refined Cortosis Staff and Armoured Clothing. He Coerces. He Frightens. Then when the enemy Force Users are disoriented he knocks them senseless but never kills (Stunning Blow).

Usually keep the Force Dice committed to Sense, he has enough reasons to gain Conflict without rolling force dice!

Terrify is directly available, and he is well on his way to getting another Force Rating.

Edit:

Force Powers:

Sense + Control (Comit FD for 1 upgrade against 1 attack)

Influence + first control

Edited by Richardbuxton

And now for my other suggestion:

Xexto Shien Beast Rider

(Because throwing a Lightsaber Pike from the back of a charging Acklay is just cool!)

Br 2. Ag 3. Int 2. Cun 3. Wil 2. Pr 2.

WT: 11, ST: 13, Defence 0/0, Soak: 4

Skills:

Athletes 1

Deception 1 (no, really, I love podracing...)

Perception 1

Stealth 1

Resilience 1

Xenology 1

Survival 3

Lightsaber 2

Talents:

Confidence

Sidestep

Conditioned

Streetsmarts

Shien Technique

Grit

Saber Throw

Beast Wrangler

Expert Handeler

Grit again

Let's ride

Force Powers:

Enhance with Control (force leap), Control (FL vertical) and Control (Resilience).

They have a Lightsaber Pike, and padded armour. They move fast, jumping onto any beast quickly and using them to get closer to the target. Throwing the sabre from the back of beasts is a must, although expect to have to go and pick it up due to only FR 1. Consider asking the GM for a tamed Riding animal too.

And finally a... Wookiee Advisor, because his mummy taught him to say please.

Br 3. Ag 2. Int 2. Cun 2. Wp 2. Pres 4

Wt 16. St 11. Defence 0/0. Soak 4.

Charm 3

Knowledge Lore 1

Perception 1

Vigilance 1

Negotiation 1

Brawl 1

Talents:

Kill with kindness

Nobody's fool

Plausible deniability

Smooth talker (Charm) x 2

Contingency plan

+1 Force rating

Force Powers:

Influence with; 1 Magnitude, 4 Duration, 2 Control, and 1 Strength upgrades.

Carries a Basic Shoto (just because) and wears concealing robes. Talks his way through any situation, and uses Influence to calm and confuse, not for negative emotions. This character would do well picking up the Charmer tree to make the most of their smooth talker and charming ways.

Mirialan, Seeker, Ataru Striker

Stats: 2-4-2-2-3-2

Skills (ranks):

Athletics: 1

Cool: 1

Discipline: 1

Lightsaber (Agi): 3

Perception: 1

Piloting (Both): 1

Ranged Heavy: 1

Vigilance: 1

Talents:

Conditioned, Dodge, Jump Up, Parry x2, Reflect x2, Ataru Technique, Quick Draw, Hawk Bat Swoop, Saber Swarm

Force Powers FR1:

Enhance Basic, Force Leap (Horizontal, Vertical, Medium Range, Maneuver)

Gear:

Temple Guard Lightsaber Pike Hilt (Illum Crystal)

Blaster Rifle

Laminate Armor (Multi-and Comlink, OmniScan 3, Threat monitor)

Load-Bearing Gear

Utility Belt

Concealing Robes

With Force Leap as a maneuver, Hawk Bat Swoop and Saber Swarm, they can jump in, wreck face with a Link 2 Lightsaber pike + Saber Swarm and jump out before the enemy knew what hit them. 

Has a decent defenses regardless for both range (Reflect x2) and melee (Parry x2) plus a dodge for a chance of a Despair.

Finally a Blaster Rifle for just in case.

Is only 25exp away from the Dedication and 15exp away for Improved Reflect.  

Man, I love these threads.

Look, play what appeals to you.  For my Star Wars fantasy fulfillment, I opted to play a Trandoshan (core rulebook), Warrior Aggressor.

He is an escaped gladiator slave who gave into the Dark Side and killed his Hutt master.  He's now trying to the do the morally right thing and be a better sentient, but is genetically predisposed to be a G*d@mn bully.

Please do yourself a favor in this game and don't play a mechanically optimized character.  Play what's fun to you.  The game is balanced in such a way that pretty much every single race/career combination is viable within the rules, and certainly so when given enough XP.

Edited by CrunchyDemon

Man, I love these threads.

Look, play what appeals to you.  For my Star Wars fantasy fulfillment, I opted to play a Trandoshan (core rulebook), Warrior Aggressor.

He is an escaped gladiator slave who gave into the Dark Side and killed his Hutt master.  He's now trying to the do the morally right thing and be a better sentient, but is genetically predisposed to be a G*d@mn bully.

Please do yourself a favor in this game and don't play a mechanically optimized character.  Play what's fun to you.  The game is balanced in such a way that pretty much every single race/career combination is viable within the rules, and certainly so when given enough XP.

I wasn't really asking for people to come up with a super-powerful character so much as one who would engage the mechanics in an interesting way. I like the idea of the beast-rider throwing his saber around, the leaping in and out of combat Ataru striker, and the max presence Makashi Duelist. Any character can be interesting to roleplay, but some characters are just more interesting mechanically than others.

Here are the two ideas I came up with:

Gotal Seeker, Hunter

2/5/2/3/2/1

Career Skills: Piloting (Planetary), Ranged Heavy, Survival

Specialization Skills: Ranged (Heavy), Stealth

Purchased Skills: Piloting (Space), Vigilance, Deception, Xenology

Talents: Dedication (Agility), Expert Tracker, Force Rating +1, Hunter, Intuitive Shot, Keen Eyed, Soft Spot

Force Powers: Misdirect (Range, Duration, Control: Appearance, Magnitude, Control: Illusion); Seek

Equipment: Heavy Blaster Rifle (Weapon Harness Mod, Under-Barrel Flame Projector Mod); Sakiyan Shadowsuit; Jump Boots; Military Pack; Flase Credentials; Electronic Lock Breaker; Species Database; Scanner Goggles; Stimpack *5

---This guy would basically be all about dropping an illusion right away, followed by using his jump boots to fly to a good distance and then blasting his enemies. He'd basically be a Hunter going around finding good people who need a bad person killed and taking care of it for them.

Lannik Guardian, Armorer

5/1/3/2/2/2

Skills: Discipline 1; Mechanics 3; Resilience 1, Streetwise 1, Vigilance 1, Lightsaber 1

Talents: Armor Master (Supreme), Armor Master, Armor Master (Improved), Dedication, Falling Avalanche, Gearhead, Grit, Inventor 2, Mental Tools, Tinkerer

Force Powers: Sense (Control: Upgrade Difficulty, Duration, Strength)

Equipment: Lightsaber Pike Hilt (Lorrdian Gemstone with all Mods), Combat Armor (Custom Built: +1 Ranged/Melee Defense, 3 Soak, Add Advantage to Resilience checks), Concealing Robes, Comlink, Scanner Goggles, Stimpacks *5

---The idea for this guy would be that he uses Sense to upgrade incoming attack difficulty by 2 as well as having Ranged/Melee Defense of 3/4 and a soak of 9. He's a former Imperial recruit taken in for his love of building exotic weapons and armor who turned away due to the xenophobia of the Empire.

Edited by Nimsim

Posted (edited)

My favorite character at the moment is: 

Clawdaite - Doctor 

3/2/2/4/2

Doctor - Pressure Point / Stim Application

Skills - Medicine (as high as you can go), Deception 

Basically Mystique .... Great Deception + Shapeshifting, and awesome Brawl with Stim Application +1 Brawn = 4 Brawn (5 Brawn once you get Dedication) + Pressure Point (Spock). Do huge Strain damage bypassing soak.

Later on cross class to Marauder for Feral Str / Endure to get even stronger Brawl attacks and good defense. Makes for a FUN character because you have 3 distinct play styles available. Spy with Deception / shape change, Brawler with high soak / good damage in strain (bypassing soak), and Doctor for helping others on the battlefield.

My personal character is Alex Darzu descendant to Belia Darzu (Shape shifter Sith Lord that was defeated) . She is seeking her ancestors past holocron. Makes for a fun back story and personal journey. 

Edited by Gstg

Posted (edited)

I love the Supreme Reflect Force Wizard.

It's a long-game build, but starting with +190 XP is the best way to do these...

Shien, Seer

05 Side Step

05 Reflect

05 Street Smarts

10 Shien Tech

10 Reflect

15 Improved Reflect

20 Reflect

30 Seer Specialization

05 Uncanny Reaction

10 Keen Eyed

15 Grit

20 Sense Advantage

20 Force Rating (FR 2)

25 "Left Side" of Sense Power

20 Influence Basic+Control (Believe Lie)+Range

First XPs in play are spent on the next Control Upgrade to Sense, Supreme Reflect, and the next Influence Control Upgrade and Ranges, and then other battle field control Powers (Alter, Move, Misdirect, whatever tickles your fancy) and that 3rd Force Rating bump, from there go for another Spec with a Force Rating bump (or two).

Use your money to build a Lightsaber that buffs Ranged Defense (should be able to get very near Ranged D 3 fairly soon).

The gameplay is, your PC has a high chance of generating Despair and Threat due to their Sense Power and Ranged D, from there you let their Supreme Reflect generate their damage output/offense (by spending those Despair/Threat), and since Supreme let's you Reflect for uber-cheap if you don't make a combat check, you use Influence which is not a combat check to make enemies shoot each other, or otherwise hamper other NPCs, open doors, turn off security or other defenses, or whatever battlefield control you need done (and eventually, other Powers that allow even greater battle field control).

This build is just tons of fun, especially once you get another 100 XP or so... and by the time you're at like 500+ XP? You're well on your way to being a god.

Edited by emsquared

The next character I play will likely be a female pantoran face/pilot of a kst-100, if force sensitive I would start with racer and maybe take starfighter ace and sage later, if a muggle I'd likely start operator (take the right side of squadron leader to get 2 ranks of defensive driving) and maybe use padawan survivor to convert to jedi, and racer, with only sense enhance and influence as force powers.

I'd also like to play an engineer/mechanic doctor bad motivator and pressure point.

Edited by EliasWindrider

I haven't had a chance to play the game, but a build that looks fun to me is a sage who dips into Soreasou, who makes int their primary stat, and gets the heal/harm power. You wont be able to get this right away, but it shouldn't be very long.

If you get both your int and medicine up to 5, and get the appropriate control upgrade, then heal has a base wound of 10, and if you want to use harm and take the conflict, then harm has a base damage of 10 which ignores soak. The Soreasou allows you to use your int as your lightsaber stat, making you able to stand your own in combat somewhat. With Soreasou's defensive abilities combined with either heal, or the upgrade to harm that allows you to heal equal to the damage you dealt, you can stand your ground really well in meele well by just healing by wounds whenever you take a significant amount of damage.

Edited by lollypopalopicus

12 hours ago, lollypopalopicus said:

I haven't had a chance to play the game, but a build that looks fun to me is a sage who dips into Soreasou, who makes int their primary stat, and gets the heal/harm power. You wont be able to get this right away, but it shouldn't be very long.

If you get both your int and medicine up to 5, and get the appropriate control upgrade, then heal has a base wound of 10, and if you want to use harm and take the conflict, then harm has a base damage of 10 which ignores soak. The Soreasou allows you to use your int as your lightsaber stat, making you able to stand your own in combat somewhat. With Soreasou's defensive abilities combined with either heal, or the upgrade to harm that allows you to heal equal to the damage you dealt, you can stand your ground really well in meele well by just healing by wounds whenever you take a significant amount of damage.

Given that build, I would also suggest taking the Healer spec as well.