Sign in to follow this  
ParaGoomba Slayer

How much time per planning phase is reasonable? Potential slow play question.

Assuming you've placed your dials and have been waiting the entire time - maybe. Did you ask him if he was ready more than once and did you know it was actually 5 minutes or did it just feel that way?

I think the key is if he actually had dials down and picked them up to change again more than once, I would ask him if there was a problem before calling over the TO. Maybe if he is a new player, he is taking longer than you due to indecisiveness and just needs a prod.

As you said it was a crucial turn. Anticipating your possible moves, making sure his move sequence is correct so he won't bump his ships (or will if that's the plan) and post move actions all need to be considered.

As a relatively new player, less than a year, I find I second guess myself alot more when it comes down to "money" moves. It becomes one long mental conversation of "I want to go there but that's too obvious because he's going to move here but that means this Z is hanging out and Hobbie going to get blocked if I don't and ... You get the idea.

It also seems a lot longer when your dials are down and you're waiting on your opponent. Relax, don't rush him. Unless you want to be That Guy and play mind games.

Taking 20 minutes to do any single thing in this game it is unequivocally slow play. There is no defensible reason to utilize nearly a 3rd of the game time on a single phase.

But 5 minutes for a planning phase? Unless it's the first planning phase of the game, or you only have a single ship left, 5 minutes certainly isn't an inordinate amount of time and should not effect the ability of the players to see the game to a conclusion.

Also, just because one player sets thier dials doesn't somehow mean that the other needs to do so in the same time frame. One player playing quickly in no way demands the other follow suit.

Edited by ScottieATF

Five minutes for three to four ships is pushing the limit. The game is supposed to be fast-paced.

So's Chess, and I've seen masters take an hour to decide.

Who, exactly, refers to untimed chess games as fast-paced?

Besides, chess has nothing to do with timing in X-Wing. That should be obvious for untimed chess. Even for timed chess, each player is assigned half of the time, which is not true in X-Wing.

As others have said, you have to call it as you see it. Slow playing can be as short as 30 seconds, but setting the upper limit is really difficult without seeing the situation. If a player is closing in on the corner of the mat and it is obvious that only a 1 hard will keep them on the table, then you can start tapping your foot immediately. If there is a cluster of ships in the middle of an asteroid field and both players are are subject to potentially being blocked or being unable to return fire, then the situation may require five minutes for the players to really consider all of the potential moves.

Edited by Rapture

Five minutes is a little rough but not too unreasonable.

Now the guy I played who took 8 minutes and convienietly didn't place hisnlastbdial until time was called...well karma worked in my favor and that last round won me the game.

Five minutes for three to four ships is pushing the limit. The game is supposed to be fast-paced.

So's Chess, and I've seen masters take an hour to decide.

Wrong answer, dude. X-Wing is NOT chess and never will be.

You don't want to start using straw-man arguments to justify potential slow play in X-Wing.

I played a game two weeks ago that lasted three hours and fiveteen minutes and I decided to succeed in score 62-58. I played vs Imperial Aces and the guy was taking like 10-15-20 min to plan the moves for his 3 ships, while I was flyinh Whisper Swarm (5 ships). That was the most annoying game I ever played, so I feel for you :)

Edited by mitrandil

Assuming you've placed your dials and have been waiting the entire time - maybe. Did you ask him if he was ready more than once and did you know it was actually 5 minutes or did it just feel that way?

I think the key is if he actually had dials down and picked them up to change again more than once, I would ask him if there was a problem before calling over the TO. Maybe if he is a new player, he is taking longer than you due to indecisiveness and just needs a prod.

Yes, I had already set my dials.

Honestly I forgot if I told him multiple times. I probably did.

It was actually five minutes. We set a timer on a television at the one LGS this happened at.

He's not a new player.

When I did tell him that he should pick up the pace, I was told in an angry tone something like, "Oh, you want to call the TO over? Dude we have 40 minutes left and it is a crucial turn and you slow play when you play swarm." So I just let it pass because I don't feel like getting in an argument.

The reason why I was hesitant to reply is because I wanted to treat the situation as a hypothetical. The details don't really matter all that much, the question is simply, "Is 5 minutes for a planning phase too much?"

But that depends on the situation. With 40 minutes on the clock it's a different story than when there's only one ship left and time is running out.

If you're flying Super Dash, or a Juno, your dial is less crucial then when trying to set a cunning blocking trap with a Prototype pilot trying to outguess Whisper.

Yes, I had already set my dials.

Honestly I forgot if I told him multiple times. I probably did.

It was actually five minutes. We set a timer on a television at the one LGS this happened at.

He's not a new player.

When I did tell him that he should pick up the pace, I was told in an angry tone something like, "Oh, you want to call the TO over? Dude we have 40 minutes left and it is a crucial turn and you slow play when you play swarm." So I just let it pass because I don't feel like getting in an argument.

The reason why I was hesitant to reply is because I wanted to treat the situation as a hypothetical. The details don't really matter all that much, the question is simply, "Is 5 minutes for a planning phase too much?"

This is what I wanted to know, because the details do matter. I don't think you'll get an absolute answer on the hypothetical, because Slow Play is not absolutely defined anywhere and there is no time established for setting dials. One interesting thing is that he commented that you slow played with a swarm. When I play Swarms, I actually feel a little guilty for taking so long, but realize it's harder to set dials for 6-8 ships than it is 2-3.

I think this is a good example of why this is subjective and there's not really a good response.

I would guess that you were not intentionally slow playing your swarm and he may not have been slow playing his list either.

I know this is not a definitive answer for you and may be a bit frustrating to hear, but it really is something that is determined in the moment.